Garmin Nuvi 1250

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Nuvi 1250

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Do a directory of your main memory and SD card so we can see what files you have inside

samfisher

Postby samfisher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:24 pm

This is the maps

sorry the software is from V2.1 to V2.2,not V2.3

still not insert any SD card to the devices yet.

samfisher

Postby samfisher » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Call up ABT company complain again and he ask to bring the device for repair ,will bring the set tomorrow,hope can solve the problem .

samfisher

Postby samfisher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:28 am

samfisher wrote:Call up ABT company complain again and he ask to bring the device for repair ,will bring the set tomorrow,hope can solve the problem .

Had bring the set for repair this monday and fedback that opt file corrupted re-install with his software,now everything ok..... :peace:

Thanks

panther

SOS to restart my Nuvi 1250 after update.

Postby panther » Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi, I am a newbie here, and I need the SIFUs help to re-start my Garmin Nuvi 1250 after updating to the "2010 July 12a" version.

A few days ago I have asked a friend to install a March version of the MFM maps for Malaysia & Singapore. And I found that it does not have the Junction View so I decided to update the latest "2010 July 12a" version into my GPS this morning, even though I am not well-versed in computers.

After installation, there was a "gmapsupp.img" in the same folder of "C:\Garmin\Map\MFM.img".
And I did the most silly thing of my life to rename it to MFM.img and copied & paste it to the "Map" folder. (Don't know whether this is the mistake?)
I could see there were 2 "MFM.img"s in my "C:\Garmin\Map" before I disconnected the USB-cable to try and use the GPS.

To my horrors, the GPS did not shut off or on. I have to reset it by press & hold the power switch for 10 sec to turn it off.
Now the GPS only shows the "GARMIN" logo and its copyright version whenever I tried to switch it on. It just stops there.
To switch it off, I have to press and hold for about 5 sec.

I have tried to re-connect it to the PC and the computer just cannot detect it any more.
Therefore, I just can't do anything on the GPS.

Questions:
1) Was it due to having 2 files of the same filenames that cause this problem?
2) How do I start the GPS now?
3) I followed every step according to the printed "MFM Upgrade Maps Installation Guides" by my side, so what possibly went wrong?

Before the update, my GPS runs perfectly.
I have registered to attend the Ipoh Mapping Boot Camp, and I was too eager to attend on 24.07.10, and I made this silly mistake.
Without using the GPS, I don't know whether I can make it to Ipoh (I am from BM). :( :(

I hope the Gurus out there can help me! :prayer: :prayer: :prayer:

Thank you in anticipation!

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: SOS to restart my Nuvi 1250 after update.

Postby moeyhc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:13 pm

Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Generally you cannot have the same filename in the same folder and if you are using Win XP and above it should prompt a duplicate filename. Even if you have two MfM maps the unit should start up unless one of the map is faulty and causes it to hang. As you have just updated the firmware and starting the unit the first time it can be either. You can try Google to see if there are any solution/s out there. I can only wish you luck....
Common Sense Is Not Common.

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:47 pm

moeyhc wrote:Sorry to hear of your predicament.

Generally you cannot have the same filename in the same folder and if you are using Win XP and above it should prompt a duplicate filename. Even if you have two MfM maps the unit should start up unless one of the map is faulty and causes it to hang. As you have just updated the firmware and starting the unit the first time it can be either. You can try Google to see if there are any solution/s out there. I can only wish you luck....

Do you think performing a hard re-set can bring Nuvi 1250 back to its default position? Will it lose its original data? :)
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:34 pm

If the 1250 comes with a reset switch then it's worth the try. I don't own one so any help from guys here is appreciated. Typically a corrupted map file is hard to resolve even in the Nuvi 2xx 3xx series. The firmware loads the maps first before the rest of the GPS functions hence denying the user from using the USB to resolve the issue when it is hanging in the map load sequence.

It is for this very reason that I have recommended all my friends to use the external SD Card to store maps. The believe that maps store in the external card runs slower is unfounded and whoever start this may have an extremely slow SD Card... :D I don't think it's a card problem because there is no problem as far as I know... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:08 pm

hard reset nuvi 1250 courtesy of bro googlesearch:-

http://www.fixya.com/support/r5117723-g ... rd_reset_2

hope this can fix your problem.
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

panther

Postby panther » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:30 pm

Thank you, moeyhc, sobamy, aikliang, and all the good souls out there! :tq:

Thank you for the info provided, will be more careful and will save the updated maps in the SD-card next time.

I have just tried hard-resetting a few times but the Garmin logo just stared back at me forever. 8-)
I did not remove the battery before the hard-resetting, as I could not find any screws at the back. Furthermore, my set is only 17days old - I don't want to void the 1-year-warranty.

I have talked to the agent and he asked me to send it back to KL for repair and that would take at least a month. So, I will send it back next week!

Questions to all the SIFUs out there:
1) Do I need to use a GPS for the Ipoh Mapping Boot Camp? (I will bring my note-book)
2) Without a GPS, will the training become useless or problematic for me?
3) What if I buy a "Nokia 5800" loaded with Garmin free GPS maps, will it function as a good training tool as my Nuvi 1250 in the up-coming Ipoh Mapping Boot camp?
4) Can the "Nokia 5800" function as well as the GPS as a mapping & tracking tool?

I have asked these questions because I plan to buy the "Nokia 5800" to attend the Ipoh Mapping Boot Camp.
Kindly advise, as I do not want to waste money on a useless phone!!! :$$: :cry:

Thank you! :tq:

Return to “GPS Devices”