Garmin Firmware Updates

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
mfm2010

Re: Garmin Firmware Updates

Postby mfm2010 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:22 pm

dvpro,
thanks for the quick reply. I have renamed the backup copy to Temp.gpx and copy it to GPX folder. Still the same, nothing appear in my Favorities.

Is it anything possibly I have done wrong?

Thanks again dvpro for helping me out. Appreciate it.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:59 pm

In that case, open backed up GPX using Mapsource and select "Send to Device", while Nuvi is connected to PC (when GPX is opened, you can verify that it's the correct data).
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

mfm2010

Postby mfm2010 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:45 am

Hi dvpro,

thx for the info. I have installed with MapSource v6.16.2 When I open the Current.gpx, mapsource gave me an error of "Current.gpx" is not a valid mapsource file and could not be opened. Not sure what happened to my previously saved Current.gpx

I am able to open Current.gpx to notepad and see all my previously saved favorites. Is there anyway / manual way to recreate usable Current.gpx?

thanks a million!

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:42 pm

Hi, sometimes GPX may become corrupted and lose some strings which prevented it from opening. And usually this problem can be rectified. If you don't mind sharing the GPX, pls PM me with the GPX attachment, and I'll help you fix it.

mfm2010

Postby mfm2010 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:15 pm

dvpro,
it is very nice of u to offer such help. by far u r the most helpful person in this forum.

while loading up the "corrupted" gpx file, i noticed there is a empty attribute in the xml tag. i remove it and voila, it works!

i loaded back to my 1460 using mapsource and favorites are back! but all the categories are gone though. i have to manually add them back.

thanks again dvpro for all the help, really really appreciate it a lot! :D

btw, what are the special thing that we can do on mapsource? oh, how do I manually add speedtrap point to a know speedtrap point, but it is not shown in current speedtrap POI?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:51 pm

You're most welcome.
mfm2010 wrote:btw, what are the special thing that we can do on mapsource?

I'm not sure of any special use, but I mainly use Mapsource for creating/editing Waypoint, sending maps, reviewing track logs, creating routes (for trip planning), receiving data from device, sending data to device (hmm... that's all I can think of at the moment).

mfm2010 wrote:oh, how do I manually add speedtrap point to a know speedtrap point, but it is not shown in current speedtrap POI?

You need to create a proximity Custom POI using Mapsource and POI Loader. Here's a good guide for creating such cPOI: http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/po ... oader.html

mfm2010

Postby mfm2010 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:05 am

Thanks again dvpro!

i have downloaded POI loader but can't seem to understand how to create a cutom POI. LOL. No worries.

Thanks again for your kind help and look forwarding in chatting with you again soon!

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:52 pm

You're welcome. I'm not sure if there is a guide posted here to create Custom POIs including the ones with proximity alert. I'll try to search for it, and if there isn't any, I'll come up with a simple guide at the Library section soon. O:)

Kiattz
Contributor

Postby Kiattz » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:47 pm

October 27, 2010
nüvi® 3790 Sing/Mal Unit Software v2.30 (2010-10)
viewtopic.php?p=52126#p52126

kinwei

Postby kinwei » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:44 am

Hi all sifu, i have a garmin 255W bought in US and I planned to go Taiwan soon. I uploaded the taiwan map. I managed to see the taiwan map in chinese but i'm not able to do chinese input. Is it possible for me to update the unit to Garmin 3.70 TWN software? or is there anyway to have chinese input on 255W (US unit)?

Thanks in advance ya

Return to “GPS Devices”