Garmin eTrex 30

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gilbertkhoo

Garmin eTrex 30

Postby gilbertkhoo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Hi all, I just bought a etrex 30 and I'm new to all these gps-related stuff. I bought this gps with the intention of hiking and trekking but apparently it doesn't have the singapore topo map.

The dealer that I purchased from advise me to look through the internet. I eventually downloaded a Singapore TOPO map from this forum with the file name 60000075.img .I transferred it to my mini-SD card and switched it to the downloaded map by changing the unit's setting thereafter. Now, my gps unit could not start-up. The unit tried to load with the messages like... load maps and waypoints.. and with the final message (the map is not selling). The unit shuts off immediately after it. I suspect that the downloaded file is either not compatible to the unit or its corrupted, or probably the file name is wrong.

I followed some of the garmin troubleshooting solutions by renaming it the file to something like gmapsupp.img. The unit still doesnt boot. I even tried to remove and format the mini-SD card and place back my original file but the unit still couldn't work.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help me with this!

Gilbert

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: etrex 30 can't boot!

Postby moeyhc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:46 pm

I don't have an eTrex but if you can connect via USB to your PC try removing the map files (*.img). Please do not delete it but copy it to your PC or external HDD. Hope this helps.... cheers.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

gilbertkhoo

Postby gilbertkhoo » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:15 pm

yeah, i tried that several times but the unit still doesnt boot.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:31 pm

Are you loading the maps into internal memory or a card? What you describe is newbies fatal mistake of having the newer map uploaded to unit main memory that overwrites the preloaded one. That happens because you did not rename the gmapsupp.img on the etrex, before a second gmapsupp.img was loaded into unit.

It the second map was loaded into SD card, removing the card will allow the unit to boot to main menu. It just will show a blank screen when you display current map

Can you downaload the MFM Sin-Mal installer and generate a gmapsupp.img and put this in /garmin directory of the SD card. This is a road navigation non topo map. See if this works. If it does, then change whatever settings back to default.

gilbertkhoo

Postby gilbertkhoo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:29 am

Thanks for your response!

I have tried the method you advised by downloading the installer from viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8442&p=159973&hilit=MFM+installer#p159973

and replacing the older file with this in my mini-SD but it still doesn't work, even though the message (the map is not for selling) is eradicated and the unit managed to advance to the main menu before it shuts off again.

Well, I have not tampered the base map or any other things in the unit's memory even until now. So I guess the problem shouldn't lie with the internal memory. I looked into my unit's memory and i found a map file with the name gmapbmap.img

Should I remove the base map and replace it with yours?

Please advise! Thank you.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:10 am

Did you put the map in SD card/garmin directory ?

No need to touch basemap.

hellhole

Postby hellhole » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:10 am

sound like you put it in the unit instead of the sd card...

and just so happen that the version you put it not working well, either corrupted due to not copy cleanly or some hings went wrong during the map gen process...

i set mine in to garmin ...

jayakumar

Postby jayakumar » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:39 pm

Hi,

I've just bought a Garmin Etrex 30 for hiking purposes. I was planning to install MFM the same way I installed it to my Nuvi 205w. I didn't use SD or microSD so just pushed to main memory. I'm worried to see this thread. Do I need to do anything special for Etrex 30? I will follow the same instructions I did for Nuvi 205, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=662 .

Thanks,
jaya

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:27 am

jayakumar wrote:Hi,

I've just bought a Garmin Etrex 30 for hiking purposes. I was planning to install MFM the same way I installed it to my Nuvi 205w. I didn't use SD or microSD so just pushed to main memory. I'm worried to see this thread. Do I need to do anything special for Etrex 30? I will follow the same instructions I did for Nuvi 205, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=662 .

Thanks,
jaya

Suggest you save the map to SD card/garmin to save memory for tracks, waypoints etc....

jayakumar

Postby jayakumar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:45 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Suggest you save the map to SD card/garmin to save memory for tracks, waypoints etc....

Thanks for your reply Silver. Yes, after seeing above and reading the forum, I think it is better to use SD. So I formatted a 4GB microSD card and have used mapsource to send the MFM map to the SD card. I see it has created d:\garmin\ and put gmapsupp.img in it. <edited>

Good news, I put the microSD in and just powered on and I now see all the map points. Looks good. I thought I also transferred topology but I don't know how to look at the topo map using the etrex 30. I'll now start looking at that. Thanks to you all and MFM.

Return to “GPS Devices”