Nuvi 1350 Map Update Problems. Pls Help

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
rogersk8ter

Nuvi 1350 Map Update Problems. Pls Help

Postby rogersk8ter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:32 pm

Hi all. Its been 2 years since i update my map for my 1350.

I usually paste the .img file into my Nuvi internal memory.
But this time i unable to do so cos my laptop cannot detect nuvi when i connected
it with a usb cable. Not sure if the usb cable having problems.

So, my next option is to paste it in sd card.
But nuvi cant seems to see the .img file.
paste it at sd/garmin/.img
sd/garmin/map/.img
sd/map/img
sd/.img
All folders tired but cant see them when i go Tools/settings/map/info
only see the old map in the internal memory.

Can pls help me? How to access the internal memory of the nuvi?
switch on the nuvi and plug in the usb cable...it shows a pc mode but went into routing mode w/o
the laptop detecting the nuvi at all.
Need a device driver so that laptop can detect nuvi?

How to read the .img file in sd card? generated the .img twice to make sure not a corrupted file.
Sd card is working fine cos jpeg files can be viewed with the nuvi Picture Viewer.

thank you very much.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Nuvi 1350 Map Update Problems. Pls Help

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:15 pm

rogersk8ter wrote:Hi all. Its been 2 years since i update my map for my 1350.

But this time i unable to do so cos my laptop cannot detect nuvi when i connected

sd/garmin/map/.img
sd/map/img
sd/.img

switch on the nuvi and plug in the usb cable...it shows a pc mode but went into routing mode w/o

How to read the .img file in sd card? generated the .img twice to make sure not a corrupted file.
Sd card is working fine cos jpeg files can be viewed with the nuvi Picture Viewer.

thank you very much.

As a newbie or one who does not have much experience tinkering with Nuvi internal memory, it is highly recommended to put and update maps only in SD card.

Nuvi is not forgiving to any corruption of files in main memory which results in a bricked unit.

As to your problem make sure the map file name gmapsupp.img is put in SD card/garmin folder

It could be that you still have the old map gmapsupp.img still residing in main memory. You need to delete it.

Use a different USB cable and make sure this is a data cable and not just a charging cable.

Use a different Lappy/PC

If that does not work, assume a faulty USB port of the Lappy/PC or Nuvi.

ace
Valued Contributor

Postby ace » Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:19 pm

I dunno about Nuvi 1350 but in my Nuvi 2565, I have noticed that if you have an old copy of the map and a new copy of map, the old copy will always take precedence unless you delete it. It does not matter where the map is located.

So since you have an old map, I presumed from here, and you put the new map from here in the SD card, the old map will shows up while the new map is MIA.

So that means you have to find a way to access your internal Nuvi directory and delete the old map if you want to have any chance of using the new map from here.

That's all I can help you with. Other members may have better solutions. Good luck...

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:02 pm

Alternatively, use a different filename with .IMG extension for your new map and store it in SD card/map folder. With Nuvi 1350, you can store many maps with different filenames as long as the SD card capacity allows but check only one map file to use.
Hope this helps :)
Last edited by sobamy on Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:53 pm

Another way to access your Nuvi 1350 memory is to download and install a USB Driver from Garmin website.

Get a reliable USB cable and connect your device to the PC. After the device has started, pull out the USB cable from the device. A message will pop out giving you the option to stay on or to shut down. Choose to stay on.

Now, plug back the USB cable and the device will go into Mass Storage Mode showing a PC icon.

You can now access your device memory. Remember to back up all the data before tinkering with the device memory.
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

rogersk8ter

Postby rogersk8ter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:59 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
rogersk8ter wrote:Hi all. Its been 2 years since i update my map for my 1350.

sd/garmin/map/.img
sd/map/img
sd/.img

thank you very much.

As a newbie or one who does not have much experience tinkering with Nuvi internal memory, it is highly recommended to put and update maps only in SD card.

Nuvi is not forgiving to any corruption of files in main memory which results in a bricked unit.

As to your problem make sure the map file name gmapsupp.img is put in SD card/garmin folder

It could be that you still have the old map gmapsupp.img still residing in main memory. You need to delete it.

Use a different USB cable and make sure this is a data cable and not just a charging cable.

Use a different Lappy/PC

If that does not work, assume a faulty USB port of the Lappy/PC or Nuvi.

Tks bro, kinda silly must delete old maps to read new maps...isnt the sd card is for storing maps as well?
looks like i got to get another cable. tried with 2 other laptop...no go.

rogersk8ter

Postby rogersk8ter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:01 pm

ace wrote:I dunno about Nuvi 1350 but in my Nuvi 2565, I have noticed that if you have an old copy of the map and a new copy of map, the old copy will always take precedence unless you delete it. It does not matter where the map is located.

So since you have an old map, I presumed from here, and you put the new map from here in the SD card, the old map will shows up while the new map is MIA.

So that means you have to find a way to access your internal Nuvi directory and delete the old map if you want to have any chance of using the new map from here.

That's all I can help you with. Other members may have better solutions. Good luck...

tks bro. will thnk of how to delete that old map

rogersk8ter

Postby rogersk8ter » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:02 pm

sobamy wrote:Alternatively, use a different filename with .IMG extension for your new map and store it in SD card/map folder. With Nuvi 1350, you can store many maps with different filenames as long as the SD card capacity allows but check only one map file to use.
Hope this helps :)

rename the .img file still didnt work. tks

rogersk8ter

Postby rogersk8ter » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Thanks all. Problems solved. Got a good cable and deleted the .img file in the internal memory and pasted new .img file in SD card. NUVI can see the new map now. :lol:

Return to “GPS Devices”