nüvi 205

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Re: Nuvi 205

Postby JasonLee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:48 am

nizwan11 wrote:
hi jasonlee..

for your info i just upload the screen shot image for your info.
after i update the firmware using webupdater the version is still the same.

Hi nizwan11,

Please remember to deface or blank off your Unit ID number when you post screen-shots.

I really don't know how to solve your problem and why you cannot update your firmware to v4.80. If I am in your position, I would try to look for an old firmware version for the 205 which can be manually updated and try to update with it. Thereafter, try to use the Webupdater to update it to the latest v4.80.

Having said that, if my unit as it is works properly and the bugs that the updates are supposed to fix do not seem to affect my unit, then I would not bother about updating.
Lean not on your own understanding

susuman

Postby susuman » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi guys,
My nuvi 205 also have the same issue, I could not update firmware via WebUpdater.
My device says : Software Version 2.10, Audio 2.00, GPS SW 2.31b.

I bought this in Malaysia and it have a mark Made in Taiwan.

Currently I having a problem after some usage, the unit cannot turn on, it keep rebooting until I keep pressing it to get a screen to clear all user data, then only it will starts.

I hoping to update the firmware to solve this, but the web updater cannot work on my 205, it also happens to my friends nuvi 200, which no update via webupdater is allowed.

nizwan11

Postby nizwan11 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:48 am

JasonLee wrote:
nizwan11 wrote:
hi jasonlee..

for your info i just upload the screen shot image for your info.
after i update the firmware using webupdater the version is still the same.

Hi nizwan11,

Please remember to deface or blank off your Unit ID number when you post screen-shots.

I really don't know how to solve your problem and why you cannot update your firmware to v4.80. If I am in your position, I would try to look for an old firmware version for the 205 which can be manually updated and try to update with it. Thereafter, try to use the Webupdater to update it to the latest v4.80.

Having said that, if my unit as it is works properly and the bugs that the updates are supposed to fix do not seem to affect my unit, then I would not bother about updating.

hye..

thanks for your advise..

see.. some user have a problem just like my friends..

i think the nuvi 205 malaysia versian is the 'cap ayam' version..

hehehehe....
nuvi 205 pearl white of course with mfm

tioching

Postby tioching » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:52 am

hey all pros here,

can i have two maps together in a memory card ?

MSM and MFM?

anyone knows?

i am a noob newbie here ...

winderman

Nuvi 205 update to ver 4.80 problem

Postby winderman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:11 am

anyone hav this kind of problem ? today i use webupdate to update my nuvi 205 to ver 4.80 . after update, i on my 205, it just loading map non-stop untill battery power done, never load in to menu...

susuman

Postby susuman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:32 am

it happened to me.

Try press and the screen during the restarting, try various corner, i think it is the lower right corner. I had to tried many times to success.

When a screen prompt, try select the delete user data (or something similar) then it would would.

My 205 is still firmware 2.1, unable to use WebUpdate to update firmware though.

susuman

Postby susuman » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:35 am

tioching wrote:hey all pros here,

MSM and MFM?

anyone knows?

Yes you may, but it is better to switch between maps instead of using both at once. (I am using just MFM for many months now)

In order to have both, you need to change one of the map id into something else, like 10 etc. try google for wgmaptool for this purpose.

tioching

Postby tioching » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 pm

susuman wrote:
tioching wrote:hey all pros here,

MSM and MFM?

anyone knows?

Yes you may, but it is better to switch between maps instead of using both at once. (I am using just MFM for many months now)

In order to have both, you need to change one of the map id into something else, like 10 etc. try google for wgmaptool for this purpose.

and I bought nuvi 205 in singapore,

but i realised that there are not any cable inside the package except the car charger , is it like that ?

so we got to buy it ?

secondly, the preloaded map inside my GPS is jerome malaysia and singapore, is it all the GPS in my/sg do like that ?

lastly,

may i know MFM is better or MSM?

i know that MSM need the unlock code to update the map but MFM is absolutely free right ?

thx for the help ya in advance !

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:28 pm

tioching wrote:

but i realised that there are not any cable inside the package except the car charger , is it like that ?

so we got to buy it ?

Yes, you got to buy it from any computer shop.
tioching wrote:secondly, the preloaded map inside my GPS is jerome malaysia and singapore, is it all the GPS in my/sg do like that ?

It seems Singapore retailers all load cracked copies (hence pirated copies) of maps which you can legitimately get for free. The cracked copies cannot be updated so you still have to get legitimate copies if you want the latest maps.

tioching wrote:lastly,

i know that MSM need the unlock code to update the map but MFM is absolutely free right ?

MFM of course otherwise you won't be here. right? :thumbsup:

MFM maps are absolutely free, but if you are passionate about this as your hobby, you would voluntarily want to help us keep improving the map and contribute at your convenience especially new roads, errors or your favourite restaurants to make MFM maps cover all your needs. :-'
Lean not on your own understanding

tioching

Postby tioching » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:36 pm

JasonLee wrote:
tioching wrote:

so we got to buy it ?

Yes, you got to buy it from any computer shop.
tioching wrote:secondly, the preloaded map inside my GPS is jerome malaysia and singapore, is it all the GPS in my/sg do like that ?

It seems Singapore retailers all load cracked copies (hence pirated copies) of maps which you can legitimately get for free. The cracked copies cannot be updated so you still have to get legitimate copies if you want the latest maps.

tioching wrote:lastly,

MFM of course otherwise you won't be here. right? :thumbsup:

MFM maps are absolutely free, but if you are passionate about this as your hobby, you would voluntarily want to help us keep improving the map and contribute at your convenience especially new roads, errors or your favourite restaurants to make MFM maps cover all your needs. :-'

But why those retailers can get the latest and updated copy of MSM? ( as i know, the latest copy of MSM need a unlock code right ?)and he told me usually the retailer will buy the updated MSM from them and install it, don't know it is true or not

and MFM is absolutely fantastic, it is free !!

thx bro...

i realised that there are many GPS enthusiast in singapore and malaysia!!!

Return to “GPS Devices”