Update nuvi 765 US version to SingMal firmware?

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sagan

Re: Update nuvi 765 US version to SingMal firmware?

Postby sagan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:58 am

Just successfully loaded MSM NT 2009.40 into my 765 GPS. It works great! :thumbsup: Tried a simulated route somewhere in KL centre as I am currently overseas and cannot try for real. Can see all the streets, amenities and buildings. However did not see any lane assist. All the junctions show only one arrow.

Anybody can point out a junction in KL or somewhere else that the current MSM map will show a lane assist? I just want to confirm this works on my unit.

Thanks

sagan

Postby sagan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:09 am

Okay success! I just simulated a route along DUKE to Jln Gombak and at exit 3303 of DUKE there it was - the lane assist with 4 arrows and the lane to be undertaken highlighted! There were a few other Y shape exits with lane assist along the way as well.

Great stuff.

sagan

Postby sagan » Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:47 am

There are not many junctions with lane assist available in MSM NT is there? I was simulating cruising around Georgetown where you can get easily miss some turnings if you're on the wrong lane and I haven't seen any lane assist there yet.

I finally found where they discuss about updating (or force updating the rgn file as it was called) the firmware from US to local. It's the force update of the 255W unit. Feedback from that post is that JV is not so great now and voice options are limited so I think I will leave it be for the moment.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:38 am

sagan wrote:There are not many junctions with lane assist available in MSM NT is there? I was simulating cruising around Georgetown where you can get easily miss some turnings if you're on the wrong lane and I haven't seen any lane assist there yet.

Why don't you post this query at MSM forum (it's already been discussed there)? :-?
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

sagan

Postby sagan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:45 am

It's not a query. It's an informative statement related to this post. It's meant for newbies like me who just loaded this map into their 765T and wondering if LA works or not. I'm just trying to be helpful for those struggling to understand their new found toy like me.

james_lee

Postby james_lee » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:03 am

sagan wrote:It's not a query. It's an informative statement related to this post. It's meant for newbies like me who just loaded this map into their 765T and wondering if LA works or not. I'm just trying to be helpful for those struggling to understand their new found toy like me.

I oso hv think your post is a query, if not, you should not put the "Question mark".
sagan wrote:There are not many junctions with lane assist available in MSM NT is there?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:11 am

sagan wrote:I was simulating cruising around Georgetown where you can get easily miss some turnings if you're on the wrong lane and I haven't seen any lane assist there yet.

sagan wrote:It's not a query. It's an informative statement related to this post. It's meant for newbies like me who just loaded this map into their 765T and wondering if LA works or not. I'm just trying to be helpful for those struggling to understand their new found toy like me.

If you were to search for information regarding Lane Assists there (at MSM) you would learn that LA is not yet implemented in Penang. Like I said, it's already been discussed there. :-'

bahathir

Postby bahathir » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi sagan. Welcome to MFM. :)

I am NOT discouraging you to 'upgrade' or load SGMY firmware to your nuvi 765T. Actually we already discussed this similar topic since last year. You may gain some, but also lose some too, or if you are not lucky, it will be TOTAL LOSS. FYI, the reflashing is quite easy, but, still not as easy using updater to firmware upgrade.

We are talking about to install new software from other unit (example 765SGMY) to 765US hardware. Before that, ask yourself, are you really really need to use the SGMY firmware?

Any, for time being, learn how use your nuvi and read/search and learn some more. I suggest to search this forum and you will find how to force update your nuvi.

Thank you. :)
--
Garmin nüvi® 755T (v2.80 TWN)

cenpac

Postby cenpac » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Reading this, (being an incurable fan of 7X5s myself). Especially,surprised by bro dvpro comments, as from what i've concluded during my tests MSM (NT or not) DOES NOT HAVE JCV ! JCV comes from(and embedded with) the TeleAtlas map ! Would challenge anyone to prove me wrong !
Try throwing away MSM , and u'll see JV,as long, as you not disable SGP_MYS_TA_NT_JCV teleatlas map. untick TA, and JCV is gone.. Even Aeco stuff doesn't know that, which is IMHO unforgiveable incompetence.
Depending on your software version,and personal preferences MalSing version could be either upgrade, or downgrade for you , but as brothers write beware, of real danger, of bricking your unit. Now i find MalSing version of 765 among the best there is,but its just personal taste. Do try to get the Teleatlas map with JCV instead, it may work..
So far i've only encountered problems with thai JCVs which only work with certain softwares. LaneAssist, on the other hand is inside .img map, and can be displayed on any LA enabled unit, with Any soft/firmware.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:31 pm

cenpac wrote:Reading this, (being an incurable fan of 7X5s myself). Especially,surprised by bro dvpro comments, as from what i've concluded during my tests MSM (NT or not) DOES NOT HAVE JCV ! JCV comes from(and embedded with) the TeleAtlas map ! Would challenge anyone to prove me wrong !
Try throwing away MSM , and u'll see JV,as long, as you not disable SGP_MYS_TA_NT_JCV teleatlas map. untick TA, and JCV is gone..

Looking at my friends' Sing/Mal localized Nuvi255W and Nuvi765 backed up files, I see that there are 2 JCV files, one is SgMyTA.JCV (TeleAtlas) and the other one is SgMyMal.JCV (MSM), and both file sizes are about 120MB. Isn't that proof enough (that there are actually 2 sets of SG/MY map with JCV)?

So Bro Cenpac, the next time you come over to KL, drinks (and meals) on you. :tease:

Return to “GPS Devices”