eTrex Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
yoladu
Valued Contributor

Re: eTrex Series

Postby yoladu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:21 pm

learnyee wrote:Hi Bro Yoladu, any posibility of mailing that clip to me while I pay you the mailing cost? rather than to meet you in Singapore?

PM me your address
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

kychow
Location: Kulim, Kedah, Malaysia (Forerunner 205, Nuvi 200, eTrex Vista HCx)

Postby kychow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:48 pm

Just got the etrex Vista HCx yesterday and have been playing with it. I am using a 2GByte microSD.
I found that track (.gpx) when send to device from Mapsource via USB cable is truncated. Any reasons why?

The device must be able to received many tracks from external sources and saved into the microSD so that I can select the tracks to do TracBack or navigation.

Kindly advise. Thanks.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm

It has nothing to do with Mapsource. Mapsource will store any number of points in a route. When you upload it to Garmin it will truncate it. Not combine it for closer points, it will cut off anything past 500 points. If you want to use over 500, u will have to split them into 500 point segments. Or upload it as part of your active log (10,000 point limit)

kychow

Postby kychow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:31 pm

silverbeauty wrote:It has nothing to do with Mapsource. Mapsource will store any number of points in a route. When you upload it to Garmin it will truncate it. Not combine it for closer points, it will cut off anything past 500 points. If you want to use over 500, u will have to split them into 500 point segments. Or upload it as part of your active log (10,000 point limit)

Hi silverbeauty - Thanks! this is a bit troublesome because most of the track-logs I downloaded from the internet have more than 500 track-points. I have many mountain-bike tracks (.gpx) and want to navigate them with the help of the device. It will be unfortunate if I will need to split them up to <500 track-points...

How do I upload it as active log?

Also I have change the Map Setup - Tracks : Track Points to 10001.

Thanks again.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:43 pm

Read page 16-18 of your HcX manual

kychow

Postby kychow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:52 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Read page 16-18 of your HcX manual

Yes Silverbeauty, I read the manual few times before posting here. But it still doesn't tell how to upload external tracklogs (with more than 500 points) onto the device.

All it said were how to tracklog using the device, save it to a microSD and navigating a saved track (which I assume is from the device tracklog and not external/uploaded tracklog).

Since your earlier reply mentioned that I am able to upload it as part of active log (10,000 limit), I am finding out how to do so.

Regards.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:07 pm

From what I know the eTrex Vista HCx can hold 21 tracks. Saved tracklogs on the eTrex Vista HCx can have up to 500 trackpoints. The active tracklog holds 10000 trackpoints. If it is more than 500- points it will be condensed down to that size.

Did you try to read the tracklogs by select "USB Mass Storage" in the Interface option of the HcX Setup menu and let the unit will actually go into USB mode. The card will show up like any other removable data card on your computer. Then use Mapsource to read the gpx tracklog file ?

I am also still learning the feature rich HcX ... Perhaps we can share our experiences in the coming GG on Apr 19th@BJ Toa Payoh ?

kychow

Postby kychow » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:31 pm

Hi silverbeauty - much apology.. I should have update my profile... I am based in Kedah M'sia hence will not be joining the coming S'pore GG.
Yes..I am learning about this device too.
And yes, I turn the device into USB-mode and read/access the file on the microSD. Mapsource able to read those .gpx files.

My concern is more on sending data to the device. I will find out more and share any learnings.

thank you.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:51 pm

silverbeauty wrote:From what I know the eTrex Vista HCx can hold 21 tracks. Saved tracklogs on the eTrex Vista HCx can have up to 500 trackpoints. The active tracklog holds 10000 trackpoints. If it is more than 500- points it will be condensed down to that size.

Dear Bro Silverbeauty,

I am rather confused by your statement. It is true that the active track log has a 10,000 track-point limit and if you do not save it, the 10,001th track-point will over-write the oldest (i.e. track point number 1) and always stay at the limit of 10,000. However, if you save the track just before it reaches 10,000 and start a new one, what you have saved remains unchanged even if it is 9,999 or 10,000 points. I attach my Etrex Vista Hcx track logs of 25 & 30.8.2008 for your reference.

Perhaps you are confused with the limit on Route Points? :-?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lean not on your own understanding

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:57 pm

JasonLee wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:From what I know the eTrex Vista HCx can hold 21 tracks. Saved tracklogs on the eTrex Vista HCx can have up to 500 trackpoints. The active tracklog holds 10000 trackpoints. If it is more than 500- points it will be condensed down to that size.

Dear Bro Silverbeauty,

I am rather confused by your statement. It is true that the active track log has a 10,000 track-point limit and if you do not save it, the 10,001th track-point will over-write the oldest (i.e. track point number 1) and always stay at the limit of 10,000. However, if you save the track just before it reaches 10,000 and start a new one, what you have saved remains unchanged even if it is 9,999 or 10,000 points. I attach my Etrex Vista Hcx track logs of 25 & 30.8.2008 for your reference.

Perhaps you are confused with the limit on Route Points? :-?

Thanks for pointing out the error on my part :oops:

Return to “GPS Devices”