eTrex Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
chlesoh
Contributor

Re: eTrex Series

Postby chlesoh » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Bro, despite I change my orientation setting to "Track Up", the facing-direction is still wrong when my car stops. The map will just turn clockwise and my direction isn't aligned with the straight road. Could it be the electronic compass?

I did try loading another map with the name "gmapprom.img", and the whole unit was hanged! :ko: It cost me a few hours to fix it. :( However, to my surprise, I found that using a totally different name such as "topography.img" or other simple english name will just do the job.

The device reads the map seamlessly, and I'm able to disable the relevant map when I don't need it. Hence, I compile a standalone topography map instead of merging it - and it works fine together with the normal MFM map :wink: Heew... what a day.

klchua

Postby klchua » Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:15 pm

i felt the vista HCX is a slow and lag when i load photo map. oregon also lag a bit.

dayojah
Contributor

Re: eTrex Series, recent maps > 128MB

Postby dayojah » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:17 pm

My Vista HCx is suddenly not displaying the map, just my on device waypoints. I have noticed that the gmapsupp.img file has just crept above the 128 MB point, so I tried a stripped down map with the colour polygons disabled. This is back down to 106 MB and the map works. Does the (now ancient) eTrex series support larger maps?

wblee

Postby wblee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:40 am

may be is the memory card connection issue. you can try to unplug and plug in the memory card. can also clean up the memory card connection part first.

I some time will face this issue.

wblee

Postby wblee » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:42 am

the gmapsupp.img in my vista hcx is now 198Mb and still working fine. and I have even put in a china map with 430Mb. without problem.

chlesoh
Contributor

Postby chlesoh » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:18 pm

Hi, anyone is still using the eTrex 30? My device "Back" & "Power" buttons were broken in a recent hiking in Bentong. Unfortunately, I just found out that Garmin has stopped all the support on the model 30. Just wondering where to get the original front casing replacement part.

Return to “GPS Devices”