Garmin Edge 800

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Abg Acid

Garmin Edge 800

Postby Abg Acid » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:14 pm

Hi all,
Ive read reviews, it looks like a great device designed for cyclist. I m a tour cyclist, crossing borders types.

But there were no reports if the navigation capabilities like the lovable Nuvis design for automobile. anyone know the details of what it can and cannot do as a navigation device compare to the Nuvi. Im a user of Nuvi 205w, quite comprehensive on it too,

Thank you
AA

sulphur
Valued Contributor

Re: Garmin Edge 800

Postby sulphur » Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Abg Acid wrote:...
But there were no reports if the navigation capabilities like the lovable Nuvis design for automobile. anyone know the details of what it can and cannot do as a navigation device compare to the Nuvi. Im a user of Nuvi 205w, quite comprehensive on it too....

Bro, as far as I m using it, navigation wise it can do what the Nuvis can do. For long distance traveller like you, you might also think of how long the built in batteries would last.

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:47 pm

Abg Acid wrote:Hi all,
Ive read reviews, it looks like a great device designed for cyclist. I m a tour cyclist, crossing borders types.

But there were no reports if the navigation capabilities like the lovable Nuvis design for automobile. anyone know the details of what it can and cannot do as a navigation device compare to the Nuvi. Im a user of Nuvi 205w, quite comprehensive on it too,

Thank you
AA

You can also include an External Power Pack for your travel requirements.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=86599
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

Abg Acid

Postby Abg Acid » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:38 am

Thank you guys for your comments.

Few days ago I visited an outlet thats sells navigation devices and looked through the edge 800. Looks like it has a host of other functions which I do not need at all. Then he showed me the eTrex 20 and the functions were great, just like what I needed. Add to that it cost half of what the tag was on edge 800.

The eTrex selling points to me was able to use disposable AA batteries, 25 hours of operational life and a cool 1.7GB internal memories. I do not need wireless capabilites, neither the heart rate monitoring nor the cadence speed on my crank, thus finally I settled for the Etrex 20.

For your information, both the etrex 20 and edge 800 have the same navigation functions, almost like the Nuvi, but minus the sexy voice. Turn by turn guidance are indicated by a beep sound that you can chose type or disable.

regards
AA

azizriadi

Postby azizriadi » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:55 am

My friend bought for me Garmin Edge 800 from Taipei. How could I installs MFM on my Edge 800?...appreciate it of somebody can give me some advice.

TQ

Aziz Riadi

Return to “GPS Devices”