52LM keeps rebooting after installing map.

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
three

52LM keeps rebooting after installing map.

Postby three » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:25 pm

Good afternoon all,

I have made a few updates of malfreemaps with this GPS using mapsource without any problem. But the last update i made (MFM-Garmin 131216), it gave me a never ending loading & reboot.

Hook it up to a PC and device is not found. Even tried it on a macbook. Went to service centre for repair. Few days later, the guy called and claim than the problem lies with "third party map" that I installed.

For those who are using the 52LM, are you facing this problem? I don't think a map update can screw up the unit right?

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Re: 52LM keeps rebooting after installing map.

Postby JasonLee » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:35 pm

three wrote:I don't think a map update can screw up the unit right?

Most certainly can, especially when an SD card is not used.
Lean not on your own understanding

three

Postby three » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:17 pm

Oh really? so I guess the next map update, i just copy it to the SD card then. Thanks!

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:21 pm

We have been telling members here to use a SD card from Day1.... and yet we have this problem popping up every now and then... @#$%^&* Garmin... never listen to its customers' problem. It so easy to rearrange the boot sequence to load the USB hand shake before the Maps.... and yet they prefer to make money :$$: out of this..... :x

Anyone reading this...... USE A SD CARD FOR YOUR Garmin MAPS!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:36 am

three wrote:Oh really? so I guess the next map update, i just copy it to the SD card then. Thanks!

Dear Bro three,

Yes and no - not so simple.

Unless you have sent your device to the local distributor and got it resolved, your GPS will still be locked onto a corrupted map in the internal memory and will keep rebooting (even with the map update in an SD card). Hopefully it can be resolved locally (and they can if Garmin gives them the means) otherwise it will cost you even more to have to send your GPS on a holiday to Taiwan.

Like what Bro MoeyHC said, we have been warning people all along not to load maps into the internal memory but somehow it has fallen on deaf ears. Perhaps the following VERY LOGICAL question posed by a Bro explains the mindset of most newbies. The question (to which I do not have a logical answer) is: WHY SHOULD I SPEND MORE MONEY ON AN SD CARD WHEN I HAVE ALREADY PAID FOR THE INTERNAL MEMORY AND THERE IS STILL UNUSED SPACE AVAILABLE? As I said, this is a very logical question for which I do not have a logical answer but the practical answer is if you do not spend the small extra on an SD card, you may have to spend a lot more when you get into trouble.

A Blessed Christmas to all.
Lean not on your own understanding

Return to “GPS Devices”