Nuvi 800 Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dvpro

Re: Nuvi 860

Postby dvpro » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Bro Tan, why don't you just share the workaround here for the benefit of other Nuvi8xx series that had experienced similar issue as Bro Azraeil and yourself.

I believe the issue is not being able to search for addresses using MFM in Nuvi860. And you managed to resolve it, correct? I don't see why you should refrain from sharing it here.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

azraeil

Postby azraeil » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:37 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for the responses. This Nuvi 860 is really tearing my hair out. It's been really :frus:

When I deleted the v1.68 in the main memory, it seems that it keeps holding on to the residueal files as when I checked in the map info, it keeps saying that I still have MFM installed in the main memory even when the file has been deleted.

Searched around the net and found that I might have issues with the Nuvi main memory and one of the ways to solve it was to re-format (yeah, kinda drastic). So I did just that and reformatted the main memory (of course I backed up the entire garmin directory).

After the reformat, I copied the folder back into the Nuvi main memory and now I found that my Europe maps are not shown (this is the map that come standard with the unit). Spent another hour or so trying to find how the frak do I hard reset the damn thing. Pressing all four corners while switching on the unit doesn't seem to work (it only asks me to recalibrate the screen ... god this unit is really frak-up). Finally decided to cabut the bateri and lo and behold, the Europe 2010.10 is now checked in the map info (well that solves one issue)

I copied the latest MSM data into the main memory and now I get it to work with the address search. The map is not as good as MFM 1.68 (1.68 has the latest road in Enstek where I bought my house so I kinda want that as my Malaysia Map).

Copied the MFM into the 4GB MicroSD via mapsource. Unchecked MSM in the Map info setting. Tried the address search .... :fire: doesn't work the same error will appear "No map data available". Unchecked MFM in map info and re-checked MSM ... address search works. Ohh brother .....

I'm stumped, maybe Tan has sent me a PM, I'll have a private chat with him to see how he managed to get MFM to work with this damn Nuvi 860 ... maybe I should have bought the Nuvi 765/770 ... damn.

p/s: Bro dvpro, when I had the initial error (before I did all the reformating etc etc), I only had the Europe map and the middle east map (no malsing). I removed the Middle East map and copied the MFM map into the main memory.

I started copying the Malsing map after I went through the re-format thingy just to test if I can do an address seach with the Malsing dataset.

azraeil

Postby azraeil » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:49 am

The Nuvi 860 doesn't like MFM .... it likes MSM and Garmin City Navigator 4.03, but not MFM ... darn!

I can have both City Nav 4.03 and MFM together (both checked in map info) and I can then use the address search (I'm assuming the Nuvi is using CN4.03 dataset for the address search) but I also think that it will use the CN4.03 maps for the routing. CN4.03 is really pathetic and very limited in terms of new roads. MSM is slightly better but nothing beats MFM for the detailed road networks.

I'm not sure what code is missing from MFM that is bugging the Nuvi 860 .... ohh well. I guess I have to live with using the address search with either MSM or CN4.03 then at the moment.

Tan Ngan Piang

Postby Tan Ngan Piang » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:55 pm

Dear Azraeil, The new release version 1.71 seems to work on my Nuvi860T, hope it works for you too. The problem of ADDRESS SEARCH seem solved with this new release.

With the Older Malfree version it had to be JOINT with Malsing using Gmaptool to make a single file called "gmapsupp.img" or put the Malsing in Main memory and Malfree on the micro SD card so that the Address search function would work.

With this new release version 1.71, I remove all Malsing map from the main memory and left only the preload map of Europe. The frequent HUNG Up of "RECENT FOUND" function also seem to be working normal too.

Malfree release version 1.71 works fine on the Micro SD Card alone, MANY Thanks to the Mapping committee :prayer: .

tjoseph

Postby tjoseph » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:21 am

I tried version MFM 1.71 on my 885T, but unfortunately the problem persists.

I tried different maps on the 885T, and i can see a clear pattern here. Any map that is compiled using the native garmin compiler does not have the "No map data available" error on nuvi 885T device. However all maps compiled with CGPSMAPPER have this error on 885T nuvi device.

The Garmin City Navigator NT Singapore Malaysia v4.03- works fine!! (Garmin compiled version)
The MSM NT 2009.5 - works fine!! (Garmin compiled version)

The MSM MYSG v3.05 - displays "No Map Data Available error"!! (CGPSMAPPER compiled version)
MFM (all versions) - displays "No Map Data Available error!! (CGPSMAPPER compiled version)

It appears that this another addition to a rapidly growing list of incompatibitities for 8XX Garmin devices using maps that are compiled usings third party compilers. ..........

azraeil

Postby azraeil » Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm downloading the latest MFM 1.71 and will confirm if the address search works or not with the 860T. At the moment, I have the Garmin 4.03 NT installed in SD while the MFM 1.68 in Main memory. I used the Garmin version to do the address search and then add the POI to my favorites, then disable the Garmin map.

It's a hassle but that's the way to do it at the moment.

azraeil

Postby azraeil » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Completed downloading the new version and copied the gmapsupp.img to the MicroSD, doesn't seem to work with my unit. I wonder why?

I have removed the Garmin CN 4.03 from the main memory and only have the Europe map, the MFM isin the MicroSD. Let me restart the unit and see if that will work.

Tan Ngan Piang

Postby Tan Ngan Piang » Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:50 pm

Let,s hope the result with your Nuvi860T is posititive this time , The Tech people of Garmin usually do a Hardware Reset by Removing the Battery momentory after each update/ changes to the Map's.. Could be over doing, but no harm trying.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:54 pm

Guys, regarding the address search issue with MFM in Nuvi8xx series, have you tried this method by Bro Sabai: viewtopic.php?p=64086#p64086
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

Tan Ngan Piang

Postby Tan Ngan Piang » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Folks , Bro Sabai has his point , I used Option's "For Garmin Cue" too and it work for Address search on my Nuvi860T. Please try... :|

reference topic posted by Bro Sabri: viewtopic.php?p=64086#p64086
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “GPS Devices”