Nuvi 800 Series

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
rickoes

Re: Nuvi 860

Postby rickoes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:09 pm

dvpro wrote:Please test further:
1. Remove data card, and install only MFM in internal memory. Would it make any difference using either GMAPPROM.IMG or GMAPSUPP.IMG filename?
2. While having only MFM in Nuvi, what happens when MFM POI 100111 is checked as well?
:tq:
rickoes wrote:1. Rename MFM gmapsupp.img to gmapprom.img and copy into garmin internal memory
2. Copy MSM gmapsupp.img into garmin internal memory.
3. On the power and go to Map Info.
4. Uncheck MFM POI 100111

right now i don't have microSD card so i'm using internal memory. that is the reason why i using gmapprom.img.
will test out after i get new microSD. :-'

with MFM POI 100111 checked, Address Search cannot use, after uncheck then can be used.
Last edited by rickoes on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:17 pm

My suggested tests don't require microSD card. Both GMAPSUPP.IMG and GMAPPROM.IMG (as well as GMAPPROM1.IMG) can used in internal memory.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

rickoes

Postby rickoes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:54 pm

dvpro wrote:My suggested tests don't require microSD card. Both GMAPSUPP.IMG and GMAPPROM.IMG (as well as GMAPPROM1.IMG) can used in internal memory.

bro dvpro,
i don't understand your instruction earlier on.
I did try using MFM under GMAPPROM with MFM POI 100111 check and uncheck. both method still cannot using Address Search.
if i using only MSM then Address Search can be use, but MSM don't have building name no on screen, so by combine both MFM and MSM i can use Address Search plus screen have all information display like building name, petrol station etc..

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Seems like I misinterpreted your earlier statement too. I had thought earlier that MSM is installed in data card. :oops:

Can you please try again:
1. Rename MSM GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPSUPPx.IMG (so that Nuvi will not read this map).
2. Rename MFM to GMAPSUPP.IMG and place in Nuvi (now at Map Info, only MFM should be listed).
3. Try the address search again with and without MFM POI enabled.

:tq: :good:

rickoes

Postby rickoes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:14 pm

dvpro wrote:Seems like I misinterpreted your earlier statement too. I had thought earlier that MSM is installed in data card. :oops:

Can you please try again:
1. Rename MSM GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPSUPPx.IMG (so that Nuvi will not read this map).
2. Rename MFM to GMAPSUPP.IMG and place in Nuvi (now at Map Info, only MFM should be listed).
3. Try the address search again with and without MFM POI enabled.

:tq: :good:

I did following your step 1 -2 - 3 above and result still same. Address Search still cannot use.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:20 pm

And last one... still continuing from the above test, rename MSM to GMAPPROM.IMG, so there would be MSM (GMAPPROM.IMG) and MFM (GMAPSUPP.IMG) maps listed in Nuvi. Is the outcome same as your post earlier (viewtopic.php?p=92298#p92298)?

However, looking back at your earlier post (viewtopic.php?p=92298#p92298), it seems that both MFM and MSM maps are enabled. Could it be that the address search is using MSM map instead? This can be verified by looking at the search result, ie. Jalan Elitis Wadi, Sungai Buloh, SEL (MFM), while Jalan Elitis Wadi, Sungai Buloh, SEL 47000 (MSM).

rickoes

Postby rickoes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

dvpro wrote:And last one... still continuing from the above test, rename MSM to GMAPPROM.IMG, so there would be MSM (GMAPPROM.IMG) and MFM (GMAPSUPP.IMG) maps listed in Nuvi. Is the outcome same as your post earlier (http://malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=92298#p92298)?

However, looking back at your earlier post (http://malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?p=92298#p92298), it seems that both MFM and MSM maps are enabled. Could it be that the address search is using MSM map instead? This can be verified by looking at the search result, ie. Jalan Elitis Wadi, Sungai Buloh, SEL (MFM), while Jalan Elitis Wadi, Sungai Buloh, SEL 47000 (MSM).

Did exchange MSM and MFM file name, MSM = GMAPPROM and MFM = GMAPSUPP. This time map info all checked.
I able to use Address Search. The list of MFM and MSM able to show

When doing seaching by using Place Of Interest, result came out from both MFM and MSM.

The screen still showing MFM POI

Seem GMAPPROM more powerful compare with GMAPSUPP.
Managed to find this info,

gmapbmap.img - the default base map
gmapprom.img - the primary mapset
gmapprom1.img - the secondary mapset
gmapoem.img - the OEM mapset that cannot be unselect by user (if it exist)
gmapsupp.img - the supplemental mapset which you can have one in the GPS flash memory and another one in the attached SD card.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:52 pm

What if MSM mapset is disabled (only MFM enabled), is it possible to perform address search? If cannot, the conclusion: It's still not possible to do address search with MFM using Nuvi8xx. :-'

rickoes

Postby rickoes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:43 pm

dvpro wrote:What if MSM mapset is disabled (only MFM enabled), is it possible to perform address search? If cannot, the conclusion: It's still not possible to do address search with MFM using Nuvi8xx. :-'

Hi,
How to disable mapset ?. I guess still not possible doing Address Search just purely MFM alone, not sure what make it so different from other nuvi. Hope other Nuvi 8xx will come out to share their experience.
Thanks for your idea, at least now I can using my 855 like other nuvi.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:23 pm

rickoes wrote:How to disable mapset ?

I mean uncheck/untick the map listed at Map Info.

Return to “GPS Devices”