Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Immortal25

Re: Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Postby Immortal25 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:56 pm

I have the nuvi 1460 as well,but my current problem is that whenever I connect the usb cable and to my pc it keeps turning on the nuvi to charge it rather than letting me access the nuvi's folders. What's wrong with it?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

Immortal25 wrote:I have the nuvi 1460 as well,but my current problem is that whenever I connect the usb cable and to my pc it keeps turning on the nuvi to charge it rather than letting me access the nuvi's folders. What's wrong with it?

Change USB cable and see if it solves problem

acbc2k

Postby acbc2k » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:08 am

For those having USB cable problem, try using a Sony PSP sync-charge cable. I had one lying around and it works fine with my 1460 and 205. The supplied USB cable is too short.

acbc2k

Postby acbc2k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Even the original Garmin doesn't work on the 1460 properly... sometimes it will go to PC mode and most of the time will go into charging mode.

Plus, some roads are missing but displayed properly on older 205 with same maps.

Gonna return it to AECO next week.

Ain't worth the money with so many problems.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:30 pm

acbc2k wrote:Even the original Garmin doesn't work on the 1460 properly... sometimes it will go to PC mode and most of the time will go into charging mode.

Plus, some roads are missing but displayed properly on older 205 with same maps.

Gonna return it to AECO next week.

Ain't worth the money with so many problems.

If you are game enough to find a workaround to get into PC mode almost reliably instead of sending it in, here is what you can try.

If the GPS boots up normally into Navigation mode instead of PC Mode, pull out the USB cable. You will be asked whether you wish to Power Off, select Power Off. When the GPS has shutdown completely then plug in the USB cable (but do not touch the GPS power switch) that is already connected to your PC. Chances are you will get into PC mode this time.
Lean not on your own understanding

acbc2k

Postby acbc2k » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:08 pm

If I have do this... it means the unit has a design flaw! Now, I wonder why the 205 cost over RM 900 some 3 years ago... better quality and 200% more reliable.

RuudV

Postby RuudV » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:12 pm

I just bought a Nuvi 1460 (Yesterday) and am still trying to find out how to save the initial values
like selected map, language, etc. Until now everytime I restart the 1460 it starts out in Indonesian instead
of English. Is there anyone out there who knows how to save this initial settings.
Also Ive looked everywhere but the only manual I've found for the 1460 is the quick start, but I need the
complete instruction manual

All usefull tips are welcome
Thanks R.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:21 pm

RuudV wrote:I just bought a Nuvi 1460 (Yesterday) and am still trying to find out how to save the initial values
like selected map, language, etc. Until now everytime I restart the 1460 it starts out in Indonesian instead
of English. Is there anyone out there who knows how to save this initial settings.
Also Ive looked everywhere but the only manual I've found for the 1460 is the quick start, but I need the

Thanks R.

MainMenu - Tools - Settings - Language

Change the Voice Language, Text and Keyboard Language to whatever language you want that is available in respective options and click on the SAVE button.

mfm88

Postby mfm88 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:06 pm

RuudV wrote:I just bought a Nuvi 1460 (Yesterday) and am still trying to find out how to save the initial values

Thanks R.

try this for better reference :

http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/3130_OwnersManual.pdf
心远地自偏,心静自然凉

alphaque

Re: Garmin 1460 (multiple jcv maps)

Postby alphaque » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:30 pm

bluknight wrote:
JasonLee wrote:Just discovered that /Map folder in the SD card works as well (so long as it is in the root directory i.e. at the same level as the /Garmin folder). I decided not to have any maps in the internal memory and moved all my maps to my 8GB SD card leaving only the JCV files and basemap in the Internal memory. I now have more than 10 maps in the card and still plenty of memory capacity left. All the maps are available for selection through Tools>System>Map>Info. Very neat feature.

NOTE: This is for those who wish to store multiple maps into the SD:/Garmin folder that will also have jcv and lane assist whose files are stored in the SD:/Garmin/jcv folder. AND also for the brave trying something that may possibly brick their unit :tease:

There is the GarminDevice.xml file in the main memory:/Garmin folder that determines what file names, path, I/O etc in the device. Notice that you can put maps in the SD:/map directory but the maps will NOT have jcv or lane-assist. This also for maps placed in the Main:/Garmin/map folders. Unfortunately, only a max of TWO maps at a time can currently use the jcv files and it must be named gmapsupp.img. placed in either of the /Garmin folders. POSSIBLE SOLUTION ??

Use a text editor and look at the GarminDevice.xml file: The NMaps xml format does not have a BaseName slot. Thus the SD:/map folders can take anyname.img. Now if you want to put multiple maps into the SD:/Garmin/ folders with anynames.img using the jcv files in your 8G SD:/Garmin/jcv folders here's what you do: Within the SupplementalMaps remove the <BaseName>gsuppmap</BaseName> characters in the xml file. Now the SD:/Garmin will be like the Nmaps, taking any names. You can now store all your unl files in SD:/Garmin with other multiple maps there and it will use the jcv feature. And you do not have to touch your main memory pre-installed files (except this file!!)
Anybody brave enough to try and come back from the dead? Just be v careful - remove only those characters above at the correct location and type carefully. Otherwise you have no device and the usb comms will fail! :cry:

Did anyone try this and works ? Means we can save multiple maps and multiple JCV under sd:/Garmin/ and sd:/Garmin/JCV and load them in 1460 ?

thanks

Return to “GPS Devices”