Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
AW*
Valued Contributor

Re: Nuvi 1460

Postby AW* » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:01 pm

gychung wrote:
Yes, I've downloaded the new software. Although it has improved, but it has the following problem :
1) It could not display more than 2 maps from MFM.
2) For Navigasi map (Indonesian map), it does not display any POIs, road names, etc.

Sigh........ ](*,)

hi, thanks for the feedback. appreciate. do you think the software patch in getting rid of the "freeze" problem is a good trade-off for not having more than 2 mfm maps on the unit?

btw, when you said not more than "2" mfm maps, do you mean

a) mfm map file (*.img) and the accompanying two files for customised POIs OR
a) two mfm maps for different country?

i'm trying to ascertain this as currently my dad finds the mfm customised POIs very useful and handy but still need to have JV on for the time being.

anyone else got any feedback on the software update/patch? appreciate extra feedback/

thanks
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

kopytiam

Postby kopytiam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:41 am

New 1460 owner reporting in... \:D/

actually, not that new though, ive had my 1460 since this december...

ok...heres my story...

a day after i bought my 1460 from a shop in lowyat, i took it fer a test from klang (as i live in klang) to seri kembangan (via Kesas)...upon to my horror, the unit shut down about 100-200meter from entering the first toll booth from klang...i only manage to turn it on back again when i was about 50meter out from the booth...as i thought at first it might be cause im using smart-tag, so second kesas toll i move to cash lane, only to found the same thing happened again...fer the third toll (Kompleks Sukan Negara one),i attach the power adapter, only this time, the unit didnt shut down completely as in both occasion before, instead, it jes restart itself...and the unit will continue to restart until im about 50meter, again, away from the booth...

attempt to return unit or get back cash redemption from the seller even a WEEK later !!?, failed...communication to AECO via email, also deemed failed...frustrated by the seller 'arrogance' and their failure to mention about this 'defect', i went to ministry of internal trade and consumer to file a complaint...actually, :-k ...the whole journal entry of my 'misery' i did posted somewhere in a forum (though it is in Malay language), so in case you interested n have a lot of spare time, PM me and i gave ya da link...^_^

so, in the end, knowing the ministry wont do me any good neither i jes decide to play-on...i did my map n firm upgrade through garmin's official website...the reason why i didnt come here(mfm) in the first place is because the seller initially told me that my 1460 wont fit MFM's map, so as a nOOb, of course i totally 'buy' what he says meh!?...until recently i went to Muar, and lose face to my friends cause my 1460 didnt show some of the roads there, instead, my GMXT did...in fact, in VERY DETAILED !!!...last week I went back home and even though the Garmin's official website told that my 'piece' is already up-to-date (that time my 1460 still with v2.20 and both 2009's map), further googling i found Garmin SG and realized theres actually still more update available !!? (v2.40 and both 2010map)...

have my unit updated with both, and again try to look fer those roads i missed in Muar, and, #-o , the roads still not there...am gettin confused as i thought GMXT n 1460 shared the same map...look into the detailed of mapsource of my GMXT only to my surprised that it actually use MFM-Garmin 091228 and MFM POi 091228...and so...here I am...

errr...Hello guys?... :prayer:

p/s: following the v2.40 update, my unit didnt shutdown anymore...
Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2010.40,City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.30
Software Version 2.60
GPS: 4.25, Text:2.60 Audio: 2.20, Bluetooth: 1.73 Basemap: WW Autoroute DEM Basemap NR5.00

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:13 am

Long story, bro, but glad you found us. Make yourself at home :)

kopytiam

Postby kopytiam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 am

thanks antyong...Image
Malsingmaps Malaysia/Singapore/Brunei NT 2010.40,City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT 2010.30
Software Version 2.60
GPS: 4.25, Text:2.60 Audio: 2.20, Bluetooth: 1.73 Basemap: WW Autoroute DEM Basemap NR5.00

bluknight

Postby bluknight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:50 am

tks wrote:isn't there a micro-sd slot to put another maps and stuff. the 1350 has and i will be surprised if the higher model does not.

My 1460 is sealed with 2 ports - a mini USB and another port which looks like another USB but slightly flattened (like that of a nokia power inlet). No SD slot. I believe the 1690 has an SD slot but reverted to a 4.3" screen.

Thks for reading my post =D>

Anyone else ????
1460 Software2.50 GPS3.90 Basemap DEM NR 3.00 MalSing NT 2010.20 City Navigators NT 2010.10 AusNZ 2013.10 Europe NT2010.30 and NAmerica 2011.10 Also 2575RLM 2012 model

tks

Postby tks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:51 am

kopytiam wrote:upon to my horror, the unit shut down about 100-200meter from entering the first toll booth from klang...i only manage to turn it on back again when i was about 50meter out from the booth...as i thought at first it might be cause im using smart-tag, so second kesas toll i move to cash lane, only to found the same thing happened again...fer the third toll (Kompleks Sukan Negara one),i attach the power adapter, only this time, the unit didnt shut down completely as in both occasion before, instead, it jes restart itself...and the unit will continue to restart until im about 50meter, again, away from the booth...

So many Nuvi 1xxx users have reported this auto-shutdown problem at M'sian toll booths that I am very curious to find out the technical reason why it happens.

tks

Postby tks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:55 am

bluknight wrote:My 1460 is sealed with 2 ports - a mini USB and another port which looks like another USB but slightly flattened (like that of a nokia power inlet). No SD slot. I believe the 1690 has an SD slot but reverted to a 4.3" screen.

I looked at the 1460 specs and confirm it accepts microSD. Please do not look for SD slot. There isn't any. But there is a microSD slot. I think it is the other port that you said looks like flattened nokia power inlet. microSD, as the name suggests, is a very small card that is much smaller than normal SD card. Many newer devices now use microSD instead of SD.

bluknight

Postby bluknight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 am

tks wrote:I looked at the 1460 specs and confirm it accepts microSD. Please do not look for SD slot. There isn't any. But there is a microSD slot. I think it is the other port that you said looks like flattened nokia power inlet. microSD, as the name suggests, is a very small card that is much smaller than normal SD card. Many newer devices now use microSD instead of SD.

Thks,
If that is true how does the firmware tell whether my /map directory which is now working perfectly inside the unit from an external adapter microSD, if I can get a compatible cable? I think Garmin corporate can do a better job in the instruction manual if it exists.

Postscript: It does exist on https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/manua ... 99&ra=true and the second picture there confirms that slot for microSD. I will do a little experiment and report back...
Last edited by bluknight on Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
1460 Software2.50 GPS3.90 Basemap DEM NR 3.00 MalSing NT 2010.20 City Navigators NT 2010.10 AusNZ 2013.10 Europe NT2010.30 and NAmerica 2011.10 Also 2575RLM 2012 model

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:10 am

tks wrote:
kopytiam wrote:upon to my horror, the unit shut down about 100-200meter from entering the first toll booth from klang...i only manage to turn it on back again when i was about 50meter out from the booth...as i thought at first it might be cause im using smart-tag, so second kesas toll i move to cash lane, only to found the same thing happened again...fer the third toll (Kompleks Sukan Negara one),i attach the power adapter, only this time, the unit didnt shut down completely as in both occasion before, instead, it jes restart itself...and the unit will continue to restart until im about 50meter, again, away from the booth...

So many Nuvi 1xxx users have reported this auto-shutdown problem at M'sian toll booths that I am very curious to find out the technical reason why it happens.

A bug in firmware related to 'toll booth' POI ?

Seems it was fixed in newer firmware ...

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:15 am

bluknight wrote:
tks wrote:I looked at the 1460 specs and confirm it accepts microSD. Please do not look for SD slot. There isn't any. But there is a microSD slot. I think it is the other port that you said looks like flattened nokia power inlet. microSD, as the name suggests, is a very small card that is much smaller than normal SD card. Many newer devices now use microSD instead of SD.

Thks,
If that is true how does the firmware tell whether my /map directory which is now working perfectly inside the unit from an external adapter microSD, if I can get a compatible cable? I think Garmin corporate can do a better job in the instruction manual if it exists

Nuvi auto detects "valid" maps in Main Memory and SD card.

You can check if Nuvi detects map via MainMenu - Tools - System - Maps - MapInfo

If map is valid it will be listed in the MapInfo menu with a cheque box for you to select as active map or deselect map

Return to “GPS Devices”