Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
A4Paper

Re: Garmin 1460

Postby A4Paper » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Ha Ha Ha Ha !

Never been this happy ever since my first born son! :cry: :thumbsup: :peace: :champ: =D>

Solved it.

My nokia E71 micro SD card save the day.

Created a folder, named it as 'map', dump a good gmapsupp in it and switched the card into Nuvi 1460

Hooked the usb cable and the thing went to USB mode like a charm... Then I replaced the faulty map with a good one.

Pheww.... saved me a trip to garmin, and also a thousand bucks!

Thanks guys, and hope other people with similar problem can use this method.

So next time must remember when disconnecting the nuvi from laptop must use proper procedure.

Cheers Guys!

Rgds/A4

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

A4Paper, thanks for sharing the remedy, and this one seems much simpler and more convenient too. :good:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:56 pm

A4Paper wrote:Created a folder, named it as 'map', dump a good gmapsupp in it and switched the card into Nuvi 1460
Hooked the usb cable and the thing went to USB mode like a charm... Then I replaced the faulty map with a good one.
Pheww.... saved me a trip to garmin, and also a thousand bucks!
Thanks guys, and hope other people with similar problem can use this method.
So next time must remember when disconnecting the nuvi from laptop must use proper procedure.
Cheers Guys!
Rgds/A4

:tq: too for thats a "golden" tip there you discovered ... :good:
It does cause a dent to Sales & Marketing for Garmin...

I am on the thinking that Garmin is aware of this option but playing dumb and avoiding it ever being raised among dealers worldwide has a significance played out to serve global :$gone: :$gone: turnover....hmmm :-k
Image ~ Cruiser ~

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:00 pm

Just discovered that /Map folder in the SD card works as well (so long as it is in the root directory i.e. at the same level as the /Garmin folder). I decided not to have any maps in the internal memory and moved all my maps to my 8GB SD card leaving only the JCV files and basemap in the Internal memory. I now have more than 10 maps in the card and still plenty of memory capacity left. All the maps are available for selection through Tools>System>Map>Info. Very neat feature.
Lean not on your own understanding

A4Paper

Postby A4Paper » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:31 pm

Hi bro

for some reason, other than indonesia.img, i cant have the arbitrary filename.img recognised by nuvi 1460?? Wierdo. All files are in internal memory. Any special steps?

Rgds/A4

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:34 pm

A4Paper wrote:Hi bro

for some reason, other than indonesia.img, i cant have the arbitrary filename.img recognised by nuvi 1460?? Wierdo. All files are in internal memory. Any special steps?

Rgds/A4
I see no reason.

Have you tested each map individually as a gmapsupp.img before you changed the name? Are the maps locked? Have you successfully unlocked them? Are they corrupted (that is why you should test them first)? Have you included any 'illegal' characters in the name?

I am not sure whether spaces are allowed in the name but I reckon if you follow the DOS syntax of 8.3 characters in the name, the name should be OK (although some of my map names exceed 8 characters and they still work).

A4Paper

Postby A4Paper » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 pm

Thanks. Thats quite a checklist.

What i did was tried MFM091026.img, which didnt work until i renamed it to gmapsupp.img. maybe alphabet only!? Will keep on trying and see if there is a pattern.

8 char limit - we can rule this out since INDONESIA is 9 char!

Rgds/A4

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:40 pm

A4Paper wrote:Thanks. Thats quite a checklist.

What i did was tried MFM091026.img, which didnt work until i renamed it to gmapsupp.img. maybe alphabet only!? Will keep on trying and see if there is a pattern.

8 char limit - we can rule this out since INDONESIA is 9 char!

Rgds/A4

8.3 is just a safe guide that is sure to work.

I used alpha-numeric - OK.

I used more than 8 characters - OK

I have avoided spaces in the name.

Where did you locate your map files especially where did you locate the gmapsupp.img which worked?

A4Paper

Postby A4Paper » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:22 pm

Hi bro

All of my maps are in default /map subfolder in internal memory. I didnt touch the hidden .system folder. I know there are more maps there, preloaded.

I need this gps to work tomorow for my field trip, so dun dare to touch here touch there yet, hehe. Satu kali hangkang sudah cukup sakit kapla..

I play-play with it afterwards lah.

Rgds/A4

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:45 pm

A4Paper wrote:Hi bro

All of my maps are in default /map subfolder in internal memory. I didnt touch the hidden .system folder. I know there are more maps there, preloaded.

I need this gps to work tomorow for my field trip, so dun dare to touch here touch there yet, hehe. Satu kali hangkang sudah cukup sakit kapla..

I play-play with it afterwards lah.

Rgds/A4
HI Bro A4Paper,

I don't understand what you mean by default /Map subfolder.

There is no default /Map folder in the Nuvi 1460 internal memory. You have to create it yourself. It also will not work if it is a sub-folder. It must be a folder in the root directory (of either the internal memory or the SD card).

The .System Folder is not necessarily hidden. If you installed your Windows with the default settings then files such as system files and certain folders like System Volume Information, etc will be hidden but if you configure not to hide such files and folders then they will not be hidden. The very first thing I do when I start up Windows Explorer for the very first time is to 'unhide' all such files and folders. Don't scare yourself for nothing. They are hidden so that those who do not know what they are doing will not be able to mess around with them; that's all.

Return to “GPS Devices”