Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
AW*
Valued Contributor

Re: Nuvi 1460

Postby AW* » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:23 pm

hi all

anyone downloaded v2.40 firmware for nuvi 16460 and got some results of the new hardware? i've hold back from updating my dad's 1460 cos i'm not sure what's the new firmware update is for. if it doesn't make that much of a difference, there's no point in messing up the existing nuvi 1460.

one thing i want comment on is to commend MFM team for their fast response and their never-die atitude (someone correct my spelling pls, can't think with the antibiotics pickling my innards and brain). - they managed to make some changes so that mfm's customised POIs appear on mxm map.

to me this is indeed a good example of innovative and timely response by mfm - sure no regret i stay with mfm all this while. however i do use mxm map for the JV as my dad is driving all over msia for his business and me afraid he'd get lost but he did get lost a few times on mxm map. wondering when is the good time to wean him off JV and use mfm map totally! wish me luck
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

gychung

Postby gychung » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 am

thomashley wrote:hi all

anyone downloaded v2.40 firmware for nuvi 16460 and got some results of the new hardware? i've hold back from updating my dad's 1460 cos i'm not sure what's the new firmware update is for. if it doesn't make that much of a difference, there's no point in messing up the existing nuvi 1460.

one thing i want comment on is to commend MFM team for their fast response and their never-die atitude (someone correct my spelling pls, can't think with the antibiotics pickling my innards and brain). - they managed to make some changes so that mfm's customised POIs appear on mxm map.

to me this is indeed a good example of innovative and timely response by mfm - sure no regret i stay with mfm all this while. however i do use mxm map for the JV as my dad is driving all over msia for his business and me afraid he'd get lost but he did get lost a few times on mxm map. wondering when is the good time to wean him off JV and use mfm map totally! wish me luck

Yes, I've downloaded the new software. Although it has improved, but it has the following problem :
1) It could not display more than 2 maps from MFM.
2) For Navigasi map (Indonesian map), it does not display any POIs, road names, etc.

Sigh........ ](*,)

cflai
Valued Contributor
Location: Seremban (NUVI760 GPSMAP60CSX DOPODU1000 NUVI265WT NUVI1460)

Postby cflai » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:53 am

thomashley wrote:.... however i do use mxm map for the JV as my dad is driving all over msia for his business and me afraid he'd get lost but he did get lost a few times on mxm map. wondering when is the good time to wean him off JV and use mfm map totally! wish me luck

I am pleased to see the world has changed a little for the better...

Those days, we go out to the shop and buys a computer 'for the son so he could learn' and when the computer gets home, 'our son' the poor sod was not allowed to touch it - at least for a fair while......!

But nowadays, it is "I am getting it for my Dad" - may I ask how long before your Dad gets to play with it after you have bought it ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But keep it up!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: All Dads love this!

I notice it is only GPS and expensive watches in a number of forums that get bought mainly for Dads.........been trying to get my kids to visit these forums but to no avail so far... O:)

ACATSINGAPORE

Postby ACATSINGAPORE » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:59 pm

I just got my challenger from Challenger. And the Nuvi experience is crap so far! It keeps looking for satellites and just stays there and asks me if I want to continue searching. Crap crap crap!

After reading the forum, I copied the file from the GPX folder to my desktop. Then I did a master reset. So I placed the Nuvi flat on the balcony. Its 10.40pm 14-April-2010. Let's see how far I am going tonight as I type this message...

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:15 am

ACATSINGAPORE wrote:I just got my challenger from Challenger. And the Nuvi experience is crap so far! It keeps looking for satellites and just stays there and asks me if I want to continue searching. Crap crap crap!

After reading the forum, I copied the file from the GPX folder to my desktop. Then I did a master reset. So I placed the Nuvi flat on the balcony. Its 10.40pm 14-April-2010. Let's see how far I am going tonight as I type this message...

Bto acatsingapore, this is not a place to voice your frustrations. [-X

Not working out of the box relates to a problem of hardware or user. Either-way, a solution can be found with some patience and logic. :-'

Any GPS, first time out of box, will need to collect Almanac and Ephemeris Data and this can take some time. After that lock-on will be fast.

Suggest you immerse yourself in our Library section for knowledge of GPS. :-k
Link : viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1443

Another think I want to point out is what did you copy to your Nuvi GPX folder :-?
If it is the map file gmapsupp.img, then this is the WRONG folder. It has to go into the Main Memory /garmin or SD Card /garmin folder

tks

Postby tks » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:21 am

ACATSINGAPORE wrote:I just got my challenger from Challenger. And the Nuvi experience is crap so far! It keeps looking for satellites and just stays there and asks me if I want to continue searching. Crap crap crap!

There are many possible reasons for this. One of the most common for first time users is that they take the unit out of the box in their home and expect to get a satellite fix.

ACATSINGAPORE

Postby ACATSINGAPORE » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:38 am

Thanks all. It worked! Did a master reset, let it rest on the balconly and it worked like a charm.

All products should be at least idiot-proof LoL... I do agree that there should be some basic instructions like turn on unit outdoors but that is what I did, so I am somewhere towards half an idiot.

I copied the file Current.gpx to the desktop as a backup. This is what I read in the forums. Maybe somewhere I am wrong again because after returning the current.gpx back into the 1460, I did not see my favorites. I had to key them all again.

Can't wait to drive into JB with it.

Anyway, what prompted me to buy a Garmin is simple. I had a choice between Tom2 or the "whatevers" currently on promotion at Carrefour. For the whatevers, the salesguy failed to show me how to navigate from Singapore to Malaysia but offered a solution: in Singapore, use the Singapore map and after the causeway, switch to the Malaysian map... I was like... what??? As for Tom2, none of my friends back in the US used it when we were at college, so Tom2 has not a lot of affinity with me.

Ok, good nite. It was fun.

bluknight

Postby bluknight » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:56 am

silverbeauty wrote:For 1460, Maps in Main Memory is /system folder and for SD card /garmin ( only gmapsupp.img ) or /map ( any name.img )

Hello all,

This particular post helped me solve a longstanding problem about loading unlocked maps, so Ive decided to join the forum to give back. Here are what Ive found about 1460:
1. Freezing up: Still happens with the 2.40 firmware update when entering a favorite at a location, but intermittently. Previous 2.30 freezes when near a large antennae such as a broadcast station. This was repeatable.

2. MEMORY: Large maps such as Europe (1.5G) cannot fit. Wonder how some posts stated a 1460 8G model. How do I upgrade from a 1 to 8G? The unit is sealed without any SD slot. Or what files can I safely delete to make room. I can delete .jcv files in .System but it is better to save in SD/map and making room in .System may not solve for the quoted solution above. I use Linux commandline to do my file transfers to and from .System as Windows is a drag!

3. IF I can get POI files related to a img map in /map, is it true that I simply put it in /Garmin/poi ? Im not sure that firmware automagically link them up.

Here is my feedback to Garmin Corporate: The next update software should allow the 1460 to access maps through the USB to an external device such as a CDROM drive or an external SD adapter. This is critical - as more users are taking it to drive overseas. Im sure access time can be handled with fast USB. Also software updates can be done via CD because the downloads now lasts over an hour.

(I hope somebody reads this!)

My 1460 System: Software 2.40 GPS 3.90, Text 2.40 (American), Bluetooth 1.70, Basemap DEM NR 3.00 Maps MalSing NT 2010.20, City Navigator NT 2010.10, AusNZ 2010.10[HALO]
1460 Software2.50 GPS3.90 Basemap DEM NR 3.00 MalSing NT 2010.20 City Navigators NT 2010.10 AusNZ 2013.10 Europe NT2010.30 and NAmerica 2011.10 Also 2575RLM 2012 model

tks

Postby tks » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:38 am

isn't there a micro-sd slot to put another maps and stuff. the 1350 has and i will be surprised if the higher model does not.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:55 pm

cflai wrote:
But nowadays, it is "I am getting it for my Dad" - may I ask how long before your Dad gets to play with it after you have bought it ???? :lol: :lol: :lol:

But keep it up!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: All Dads love this!

I notice it is only GPS and expensive watches in a number of forums that get bought mainly for Dads.........been trying to get my kids to visit these forums but to no avail so far... O:)

hi

well, i wanted to get a unit in March 2008 for my dad, a nuvi 255W but he wasn't interested as he wasn't convinced that it is useful. in fact he thought it was preposterous that he need a machine to tell him how to get around in KL! so i bought and used it msyelf, learned about it in and out and kept providing him with "tidbits" on how useful the machine from time to time. after 1 year, i managed to convince him that a PND is, while not totally indispensable, actually value added. i waited quite awhile for the nuvi 1460 to come to compare with nuvi 765 and decided to get him nuvi 1460 as it has a larger display screen.

i'm sure my dad is among those who can lay claim to owning the whole (or almost whole) catalogue collection of BONIA (and other like-branded) Shirts and whatnots! the pnd makes for a refreshing change - it is something functional, value for money and above all, it's "intriguing".

he was presented with the "possession" of his own nuvi 1460 after i tested the unit out the box for two months and make sure all the problems with maps and such got ironed out, bugged AECO people a lot during this period and they were very helpful. the only thing they can't do is to help me download the whole gpx folder.

i maintain the unit for my dad, as and when there's map updates and software updates. i use to sd cards for the mfm maps. i just switch the cards for him when doing updates so he can have the unit with him all the time and i don't have to mess with the internal memory of the unit. as he uses mxm for jv, i too use mxm from time to time to simulate the problems he encountered.

i just love what mfm has done - to provide an option to generate larger POI Icons on the display. my dad like the various different POI Icons because it make referencing at a glance easier. previously he was not able to see mfm customised pois on his display with mxm map.

" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

Return to “GPS Devices”