Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
alyem
Regional Mapper

Garmin Nuvi 1450 / 1460

Postby alyem » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:39 am

From all the posting of Garmin 1460 Q&A,
I am doing a short summary on this Garmin 1460

Q - when I go into the 1460 Main memory there are no IMG files at all.
A1 - in folder address bar, type :\.System

A2 - On my unit on the ".System" folder (root directory) which is hidden folder there was a map file "gmapprom.img".
When this file was present I could not make the new map to work.
I deleted the file and save the "gmapsupp.img" to "gmapprom.img" and save it to the folder.
This made my system work without any problem.
The POI file was copied to the folder POI inside the Garmin folder as normally done.

A3 - Create a folder "MAP" and stored your maps in the same folder

Q - garmin 1460 support mp3? or WAV?
A - WAV.

And for a good review by Bro Jason Lee please go to Page 7, Post no 7. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4710&start=60
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

skltang

Garmin 1460

Postby skltang » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:22 am

Hello, I am a new user and have the following questions:

1. What can the SD Card store?
2. Where can I get maps of other cities besides what is loaded in the device?
3. Are Garmin maps identical for all their devices?
4. Looks like the device suggests routes that includes small lanes ... Is there a way to avoid that?

Thanks,
Simon

fauzee
Polygon Mapper

Re: Garmin 1460

Postby fauzee » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:34 am

skltang wrote:Hello, I am a new user and have the following questions:

1. What can the SD Card store? Sd can store maps. Create folder 'Garmin' and put 'gmapsupp.img'. Also can store Pictures as .Jpeg files if your devices have this function.
2. Where can I get maps of other cities besides what is loaded in the device? Not really understand :-? :-? but i think try load MFM maps first into your device and later u can share your experience with us :thumbsup:
3. Are Garmin maps identical for all their devices? Garmin maps can use for all Garmin Devices.
4. Looks like the device suggests routes that includes small lanes ... Is there a way to avoid that? All Garmin devices including GMXT software have 'Avoidance function' so u can set to avoid some 'unpaved road,toll,highway..and etc..

Thanks,
Simon
~Lost Is Nothing~
...PLEASE INSTALL THE LATEST MAPS BEFORE DOIN' SOMETHIN'...

Zeus73

Postby Zeus73 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:48 pm

fauzee wrote:1. What can the SD Card store? Sd can store maps. Create folder 'Garmin' and put 'gmapsupp.img'. Also can store Pictures as .Jpeg files if your devices have this function.

For nuvi 1xxx series, use this method.

Rayquaza

Postby Rayquaza » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:50 pm

I just got a Nuvi1460 to replace my Nuvi205W. Tried to load MFM file (latest 090914) using above method. When I use this map, the screen goes blank in a few second after I press View Map, and the unit reboot by itself. I have no problem with malsingmaps NT2009.5 which I copied from nuvi205W. Does this mean MFM map is not compatible with Nuvi1460? :cry:

luthansa

Postby luthansa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:36 am

Rayquaza wrote:I just got a Nuvi1460 to replace my Nuvi205W. Tried to load MFM file (latest 090914) using above method. When I use this map, the screen goes blank in a few second after I press View Map, and the unit reboot by itself. I have no problem with malsingmaps NT2009.5 which I copied from nuvi205W. Does this mean MFM map is not compatible with Nuvi1460? :cry:

Same problem with me. :( Screen goes blank with MFM 090914.

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Please report your problem in detail. Let us know how you create the gmapsupp.img (from MFM generator or Mapsource?) and what customization you use (Full? Partial? Exclude polygons?). Have you tried all the options?

Zeus73

Postby Zeus73 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:42 pm

antyong wrote:Please report your problem in detail. Let us know how you create the gmapsupp.img (from MFM generator or Mapsource?) and what customization you use (Full? Partial? Exclude polygons?). Have you tried all the options?

I think the nuvi 1460 is having some software bugs.

Even with factory installed maps, it will also auto restart during address/POI search.

luthansa

Postby luthansa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:47 pm

antyong wrote:Please report your problem in detail. Let us know how you create the gmapsupp.img (from MFM generator or Mapsource?) and what customization you use (Full? Partial? Exclude polygons?). Have you tried all the options?

Here my experince using nuvi 1460.
gmapsupp created using MFM generator will result in rebooting when try to view map. Tried every option still the same. The most stable is using MFM generator to create 'lite' version of MFM. Rebooting only during navigation.
Both preloaded map from M** and Garmin city navigator work flawlessly but cannot compare in terms of details with MFM.
Pls help so 1460 owner can use MFM maps. :prayer:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Sep 19, 2009 1:03 am

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, the solution will have to wait until one of our senior mapper is able to conduct tests on a Garmin 1460. Hopefully it will be a short wait :)

Return to “GPS Devices”