Adding TTS to the 205W

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zamad
Valued Contributor

Adding TTS to the 205W

Postby zamad » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:27 pm

I found this interesting thread at GpsPasSion Forum. The link is here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... hichpage=1
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Re: Adding TTS to the 205W

Postby sobamy » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:49 pm

zamad wrote:I found this interesting thread at GpsPasSion Forum. The link is here http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topi ... hichpage=1

Bro zamad, I think I agree with danham (the Moderator of GPSPassion.com). Wonder if TTS (Text To Speech) is really that useful weighing the pros and cons in terms of "flashing" risks by newbies...
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:40 pm

the link is not working

sobamy wrote:Bro zamad, I think I agree with danham (the Moderator of GPSPassion.com). Wonder if TTS (Text To Speech) is really that useful weighing the pros and cons in terms of "flashing" risks by newbies...

Even for the Nuvi 5X0, garmin has provided a software upgrade to include TTS. There is no harm in having TTS, because should you be sick of the way local street names are pronounced, you can select another option in the LANGUAGE that do not have TTS.
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:36 am

I agree that flashing has its inherent risks, but backups are always important. I think that these are for those who bought the 205W, then realising that they had wished a TTS was included. If I'm not mistaken, with the flash, it also incorporates saving routes as well.

@bro yoladu: the link is active.
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:52 am

zamad wrote:I agree that flashing has its inherent risks, but backups are always important. I think that these are for those who bought the 205W, then realising that they had wished a TTS was included. If I'm not mistaken, with the flash, it also incorporates saving routes as well.

@bro yoladu: the link is active.

flashing it with a hack is definitely very risky but getting a garmin software upgrade that will enable the gps to have TTS function, is very safe. :D
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks guys for the enlightenment but still apprehensive about flashing with the TTS thingy :D My friend has a Nuvi (can't remember the model) with TTS. Our road name, for example, is called "Jalan Kg Baru" but the pronounced voice msg was "Jar Len Kilo Gram Baru" (European accent presumably...). My friend and I were guffawing... :lol: There were many more such incidence, hence my thought of whether it's "that" useful. Just my 2 sen anyway... :-k
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

Return to “GPS Devices”