Nuvi 205W Part 1

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Re: Nuvi 205W

Postby JasonLee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:02 pm

moeyhc wrote:Hello Bros & Sista,

Need help again. I am charging my Nuvi 205W after draining it fully (auto power off) since this morning. The screen still shows " Charging battery Completely " It is 'Bad' English from Garmin or it is really charging it completely? My Nuvi 300 display " Charging Battery Completed " when done. What does your unit display when it is fully charged?... Thank you for your help... cheers!

Dear Bro Moeyhc,

To avoid having such doubts why don't you charge in the Diagnostic Mode instead? In the Diagnostic Mode, you can see the actual state of charge of your battery before starting (Battery Capacity %) and your VMAX.

While charging, the Battery Capacity will be blank, Battery shows Charging but you can see your VMAX climbing slowly.

When fully charged, Battery shows Done and your VMAX should be around 4.90+ Volts.

To charge in the Diagnostic Mode:

1. Switch on GPS and let it boot completely.
2. Touch the Battery Strength Icon (top right-hand corner) for around 10 seconds.
3. When the screen changes to show SW Ver etc., you are now in the Diagnostic Mode.
4. Plug in your power source USB cable.
Lean not on your own understanding

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:47 pm

Thank you Bro JasonLee. The reason I did not use the diagnostic mode is that it reset the clock and GPS. It will take longer time to get the first fix. Nonetheless, I'll switch on Diagnostic to check the battery voltage and charge/discharge mAhr value....cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:51 pm

moeyhc wrote:Thank you Bro JasonLee. The reason I did not use the diagnostic mode is that it reset the clock and GPS. It will take longer time to get the first fix.

Asodesuka. Didn't realise that. Actually didn't notice that which means it is not an issue for me. :thumbsup:

comeonesticks

Postby comeonesticks » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:16 pm

Anyone tried to change the battery of 205W? My battery life seems to be very lousy. Seems to me that it can only last for maximum 1hr to 1.5 hrs.
Also, i use the USB to charge, it doesn't say battery full even though i charged for hours...

JasonLee
Regional Mapper

Postby JasonLee » Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:26 pm

comeonesticks wrote:Anyone tried to change the battery of 205W? My battery life seems to be very lousy. Seems to me that it can only last for maximum 1hr to 1.5 hrs.
Also, i use the USB to charge, it doesn't say battery full even though i charged for hours...

Use the above described method to charge in the Diagnostic Mode then you will know to what VMAX your battery has been charged before deciding what to do with the battery.

comeonesticks

Postby comeonesticks » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:13 pm

JasonLee wrote:
comeonesticks wrote:Anyone tried to change the battery of 205W? My battery life seems to be very lousy. Seems to me that it can only last for maximum 1hr to 1.5 hrs.

Use the above described method to charge in the Diagnostic Mode then you will know to what VMAX your battery has been charged before deciding what to do with the battery.

OK.. I will do check it later.. before I ask for help again.. Thanks!!

comeonesticks

Postby comeonesticks » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:06 pm

What are the things i should look out for? my Vmax when putting in the usb is 4.25v

Alfamaniac

Postby Alfamaniac » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:05 pm

Question: how long does it normally take to charge a Nuvi 205W fully? Just wondering...cos the battery life is also quite poor on my unit... sigh...

comeonesticks

Postby comeonesticks » Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:39 pm

Wah.. i have never seen my GPS unit showing " Charging Battery" everything i plug in the USB port it will show a computer there and then a bar...

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:24 am

comeonesticks wrote:Wah.. i have never seen my GPS unit showing " Charging Battery" everything i plug in the USB port it will show a computer there and then a bar...

Bro comeonesticks, charging from a lappy / PC or from a third party non-garmin car charger will result in Nuvi going into "data-mode". The unit is still charging except that it does not display any signs of doing so.

Return to “GPS Devices”