Nuvi 205W Part 1

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sabre23t

Re: Nuvi 205W

Postby sabre23t » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:10 am

I understand there are two versions of 205W in the Malaysian market now. The Malaysia version with Malay and Indonesia language together with City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT v3.01 map, and Malsingmaps POIs can be seen during navigation. The other one is the US version, without either.

I chose the Malaysian version yesterday. Nice device. O:)
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

edgarchen
Valued Contributor

Postby edgarchen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 pm

This is interesting to know that different country made version has different features.
Hopefully the software update for both different country are compatible from the same Garmin US server.

Enjoy with your new toy. :thumbsup:
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

kelvin5353
Valued Contributor
Location: Puchong Jaya (Nuvi 760 Mal/Sin Version + Nokia E71 Garmin XT)

Postby kelvin5353 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:08 pm

sabre23t wrote:I understand there are two versions of 205W in the Malaysian market now. The Malaysia version with Malay and Indonesia language together with City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT v3.01 map, and Malsingmaps POIs can be seen during navigation. The other one is the US version, without either.

Just after u leave, i arrive at Digital Mall to get the 205W Mal/Sin version for my friend :mrgreen: , told by bro kelvin
One World , One Dream

jans_wkh
Valued Contributor

Postby jans_wkh » Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:14 pm

sabre23t wrote:I understand there are two versions of 205W in the Malaysian market now. The Malaysia version with Malay and Indonesia language together with City Navigator Singapore/Malaysia NT v3.01 map, and Malsingmaps POIs can be seen during navigation. The other one is the US version, without either.

Just wondering why people go for the wide screen as I was told that it shows the same scale of the 'map' of the location but much widen. Have ask someone to buy me the 255 when he comes back from US. Don't know whether it's a wise decision or should I go for the 255w instead. :mrgreen:

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:29 pm

Brother 255w will be better, not just the map got wider, the menu icon also more 8 icon instead of 4 :mrgreen: when you get your hand on it remember to bring it in next penang GG :-'

isipadu

Postby isipadu » Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:27 am

i am about to buy 205w and got a question on this model. how many types of 205w is available? I noticed the manufacturing 205w is from US and Taiwan. Most of them recommend Taiwan make. Is it worth or should I get US make? or is there other manufacturing location for 205w?

jwschow
Location: Klang Valley and occasionally else where... (nüvi® 205, E66 GMXT & Sports Tracker)

Postby jwschow » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:36 am

isipadu wrote:i am about to buy 205w and got a question on this model. how many types of 205w is available? I noticed the manufacturing 205w is from US and Taiwan. Most of them recommend Taiwan make. Is it worth or should I get US make? or is there other manufacturing location for 205w?

hey isipadu,

so far from my understanding and talking to few ppl and Aeco Tecnologies (so call sole distributor in Malaysia), it doesn't really matter (to me atleast for now) where you get them from as most of the dealers parallel import the nuvi either from singapore or direct from US, as Taiwan only deals with Aeco in malaysia (i hear, dunno how true)..the difference will be language i believe, the US version has mostly american and european, where else the Taiwan has asian language i.e. cantonese, hokkien etc... :)

another reason why i don't take it seriously is...even you get a US model, it won't necessary come in with Garmin Malaysia/Singapore NT map (Btw the US version comes standard with north american NT map, got a friend brought 3 units back from US last month)...as Garmin charges some USD120 for sing/mal (http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/mapS ... laysia.jsp)..so the nuvi can't be cheaper isn't it? unless its installed with a crack the Garmin NT map that is..what do get then? a MSM map i suppose :rolleyes:

what matters to me is the warranty and after warranty support, who is going to do it, the dealer? garmin? garmin won't accept any tempered units...no doubt the nuvi is very durable but won't take lots of knocks and drops... [-o<

me 2 cents
Julian C.

isipadu

Postby isipadu » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:43 pm

jwschow,
thanks for your reply. the reason for asking is because i saw some comment in MSM that Taiwan version is better as they provide POI. I am curious if this is really beneficiary, if not, i might just get any 205w model.

BTW, do you know the price at this moment and what stuff comes with it? like memory card or ....?

jwschow
Location: Klang Valley and occasionally else where... (nüvi® 205, E66 GMXT & Sports Tracker)

Postby jwschow » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:55 am

isipadu wrote:jwschow,
thanks for your reply. the reason for asking is because i saw some comment in MSM that Taiwan version is better as they provide POI. I am curious if this is really beneficiary, if not, i might just get any 205w model.

BTW, do you know the price at this moment and what stuff comes with it? like memory card or ....?

hi isipadu,

not too sure about the POI that comes with the Taiwan version...normally it very much depends on the map and you can always download additional POIs i.e. halal and non-halal food...4D...7-11...speed trap...etc..from MSM that is...i sure know that MFM maps have lots of cool POI \:D/

as for the price the ranges are pretty ridiculous..i hear they're from RM850+ all the way to RM1500+ depends from whom do you get it from..packages are normally standard...so why pay more? i dunno :-k ....some say they provide value added services like...uhhh....uhhh...i dunno :-#

memory card wise...for microSD or SD, they're like RM25-40 for 1GB to 2GB...have not tried the 4GB so dunno if the nuvi would read it..

you can PM *ecms* or some of the guys here for some pricing...
Julian C.

sabre23t

Postby sabre23t » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:30 pm

My choice was between 205W US version with faster firmware updates and 205W My/Sg version with slower firmware updates, Garmin Malaysia map, & POI view during navigation. For same price. So I chose the latter.
4SQ, Waze, GMM, MSM, MFM & OSM ;-}

Return to “GPS Devices”