GPS for motorbikes

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Abg Acid

Re: GPS for motorbikes

Postby Abg Acid » Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:22 am

Hi printserver,

Exactly like yours, a nvi 205w. The mal, sing and thai map was pretty good. But Indochina was a bit of dissappointment. The souhtern parts of indochina are quite ok,( though some roads interlapped, but literally lacks information on the north. It has no Information at all after north of Luang Prabang, and thats the place I will be riding to..Luang Namtha to Boten (chinese Border town)

I have 3 power supply back up for charging. 1 is from PC, usb. second is AC home charger and finally terminal from the motorcycle, I had this build at cost rm9.90.

As for mounting on the bike,.. its still an issue. The one sold from M3shoppe holds model 205 only and not the wide screen. But I have tried the suction cup bracket. It works pretty fine on dial the meters on my bike, so I put it on the tachometer (rpm) which I thinks is less important. And since, the the GPS will only be fixed upon location for food and lodgings, I think it should be alright. It wont be on the bracket all the way when I m riding. I had a string attached too for security.

AA

printserver

Postby printserver » Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:10 am

I used RAM mount for my 205W. Power-wise... i got it from my bike power socket.

Seems like u do alot of travelling.. sounds interesting.

Abg Acid

Postby Abg Acid » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:24 pm

yeah ram mount, the one on link posted earlier,.. but I m still blurr of what exactly to order. There are just too many parts... I need to see one, than can only apprehend the diferrent parts and usage.

Yeah, traveling on bikes is really fascinating. I have travelled with fellow singaporeans on a 14-days Borneo adventures too. They rode african twins, and hayabusa as well the the popular CBfour, and I rode a 250cc taiwan bike. hehe :D . But thats ok :-({|= . The roads in Borneo are pretty bad anyway, a light bike is better off.

Dec16, I m leaving for an overlander to the chinese border at Laos, and will be back early January. Will be traveling on a 150cc fuel injected yamaha for this trip. I hope I can collect as many coordinate points and set it up as reference here in this website as well.

regards
AA

NoX

Postby NoX » Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:21 am

Acid,

How are you, long time no see....

Its not worth the extras to pay for dedicated m/bike gps like the zumo, what I do is to use RAM Mount, they are good, and if its rain I do this as pictured. This picture shown on my Modenas.., and you should know how fast it is on my other bike... :lol: no problem.

You can use normal USB Cig lighter cable for power,(this need some trick) if you value your original garmin charger.

Acid never use suction cup type on motorbike it just cannot survive the vibration, unless you make it a permanent fixtures. Also the bracket holding the Nuvi's on the RAM Mount is beefed up to hold it more secure, not like the car mounting clip. See picture below.

Apologise for bad picture quality.

P/s

Acid if you are interested I can loan you my GPS data logger for your trip, so that we could plot your route once back home. Unless you have enable tracking on your 205w.

Luang Namtha to Boten its do able those route, should have reference among the m/bike community.

Update

Acid, you can make your own mount by using sheet metal, make a cradle to to hold the nuvi on both side and bottom (not top) use velcro to hold it in place. I done it once before it works before I got this Ram Mount, just figure out how to mount the cradle to the bike. On the triple clamp should be ok, and use clear plastic as "raincoat" whenever required.

This is the link I got the RAM Mount for USD 30.00 http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Mount-GARMIN-NUVI-265WT/dp/B001HUBIPI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=miscellaneous&qid=1260178600&sr=8-6

NoX
I feel sad that Antyong retired - Mapping Community should not be taken advantage off...use http://www.waze.com it's payback time

sondoi

Bike GPS

Postby sondoi » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:07 pm

I cannot view MSM maps on my bike GPS. Bike is a 2008 Honda Goldwing. Any thoughts anyone?

whitewing

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Bike PS

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:10 pm

sondoi wrote:I cannot view MSM maps on my bike GPS. Bike is a 2008 Honda Goldwing. Any thoughts anyone?

whitewing

Bro sondoi, it would be better if you could identify the brand of the GPS and model number. Our maps here only support Garmin or Papago X2/X3/X5 hardware.

duke17
Champion Polygon Mapper
Champion Polygon Mapper

Re: Bike GPS

Postby duke17 » Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:26 am

sondoi wrote:I cannot view MSM maps on my bike GPS. Bike is a 2008 Honda Goldwing. Any thoughts anyone?

whitewing

Bro you're not using mfm? ](*,)
Garmin Montana 650; Nuvi 2575RLM; BMW Navigator V; Nuvi 205; Garmin Edge 1000; mfm

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:51 pm

whitewing

My thought is that you are like going to Burger King to check on Big Mac :mrgreen:
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:18 am

yoladu wrote:

whitewing

My thought is that you are like going to Burger King to check on Big Mac :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: But all he want is a Burger... :mrgreen:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:56 am

alyem wrote: :mrgreen: But all he want is a Burger... :mrgreen:

In that's the case, can check with Mos Burger, Carl's Jr, Botak Burger, KFC's Zinger, and my favorite Ramlee's Ayam Special :mrgreen:
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

Return to “GPS Devices”