Nüvi 1240

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Re: Garmin Nüvi 1240 not showing custom icons

Postby sobamy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:41 pm

silvrbeauty wrote:One main advantage of Garmin over the rest of crowd of GPS manufacturers is that Garmin has Mapsource. A valuable tool for route pre-planning and multiple routing. A very useful tool for my trips up North of Singapore. I can plan multiple route and transfer to my Nuvi

Must one, who wishes to do route pre-planning, be a Mapper or ...? Like Bro tks, I use ready-made MFM map.
When I plan to go from Point A to Point B, the map usually takes me a long way usually through toll gates, when an already-tracked "short-cut" route would do the job. An example would be from, say, Tesco in Damansara Mutiara to Sg. Buloh - the map would take me to the LDP toll gate way whereas I can use the new Jalan Sg.Buloh route via Kota Damansara to get to Sg. Buloh. To "trick" Nuvi to stay on track, I also insert a "via Point" somewhere along on this new Jalan Sg. Buloh route to get to my destination, else Nuvi will ask me to make an U-Turn to go back to the LDP. #-o
BTW, perhaps, if I go to "Tools/Settings/Navigation/Avoidances", and check the "Toll Roads", and check "Shorter Distance" in "Route Preference", will it do the job of "temporary route pre-planning"? - (although I have not tried it yet - will try one of these days) :-'

sobamy wrote:BTW, perhaps, if I go to "Tools/Settings/Navigation/Avoidances", and check the "Toll Roads", and check "Shorter Distance" in "Route Preference", will it do the job of "temporary route pre-planning"? - (although I have not tried it yet - will try one of these days)
:-'

Continue:
Glad to report that I experimented the above settings in simulation mode and it worked to my liking albeit a temporary one... maybe not so... if I leave the settings alone, as it is... :mrgreen:
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

Return to “GPS Devices”