Garmin nüvi 3790

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gychung

Re: Garmin Nuvi3790 SG/MY

Postby gychung » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:14 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
cenpac wrote::ko: wow.. haven't been here on forum in a long while, and such a thread.. Think there should be a sticky on top preventing bros from wasting :$gone: :$gone: on this Garmin product.. i have tried it on the shop display in Germany, noticed a very irresponsive lousy touchscreen (+ price :thumbsdown: ) . Little i knew there are plenty of other faults !
silverbeauty & gychung ; could this stubbornness in removing the maps be a "new Garmin improvement" to fight piracy :-?

The problem is restricted to bro gychung set.
I have no problems with the removal and addition of maps.
The other bugs are frustrating but not unmanageable for now :( :-'

Not only preventing removing the maps, it doesn't even remove screen shots !!!
I would like to hear from other 3790 owners as well, anyone out there ???

Could it be bro silverbeauty and myself are the only two owners in S'pore / Malaysia ??

Zeus73

Postby Zeus73 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:54 pm

gychung wrote:Not only preventing removing the maps, it doesn't even remove screen shots !!!

Could it be bro silverbeauty and myself are the only two owners in S'pore / Malaysia ??

I'm able to remove some of the GPI files from the POI folder.

Did you try using another PC?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:03 pm

gychung wrote:
silverbeauty wrote:
cenpac wrote::ko: wow.. haven't been here on forum in a long while, and such a thread.. Think there should be a sticky on top preventing bros from wasting :$gone: :$gone: on this Garmin product.. i have tried it on the shop display in Germany, noticed a very irresponsive lousy touchscreen (+ price :thumbsdown: ) . Little i knew there are plenty of other faults !
silverbeauty & gychung ; could this stubbornness in removing the maps be a "new Garmin improvement" to fight piracy :-?

The problem is restricted to bro gychung set.
I have no problems with the removal and addition of maps.
The other bugs are frustrating but not unmanageable for now :( :-'

Not only preventing removing the maps, it doesn't even remove screen shots !!!

Bro gychung, FYI I borrowed another set to replicate your problem. Did so and not experienced your "perceptual" symptoms .... Able to copy / delete at will .....

Try what Bro zeus73 says, to try on another PC/Lappy.
Your set could be a "lemon", in which case bring it back to Navicom for a health check / warranty fix

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:29 am

Can anyone share the latest DEM files that comewith Nuvi 3790 to test on Oregon 300 =P~

=^_^=

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:13 pm

All Users of 3790T Localized version, please note that Navicom has a firmware update that will take care of the "auto-reset" problem that happens at certain locations in Singapore ie.. Toa Payoh part of PIE .....

Please call them at 62968238 or go down with your set and warranty card for on-spot firmware update.

gychung

Postby gychung » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:05 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
Bro gychung, FYI I borrowed another set to replicate your problem. Did so and not experienced your "perceptual" symptoms .... Able to copy / delete at will .....

Try what Bro zeus73 says, to try on another PC/Lappy.
Your set could be a "lemon", in which case bring it back to Navicom for a health check / warranty fix

Let me try with a different PC.
I'm in KL, not convenient to go to S'pore just to fix the Navi.
I believe Garmin Kl would be able to help........hopefully

artrusli

Postby artrusli » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi,
I just got 3790t.. yes, can view 3D building.. but only several building are included in the original map.

I have a question for the other owner, how long does the battery last?? mine is gone in like less than 2 hour.... really appreciate your reply.

and my personal opinion is that the volume is toooooo smalll... and the satellite locking is very slow compared to other gps... even to cheaper chinese OEM gps...

Thank you, I hope my info can help others.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:22 pm

artrusli wrote:Hi,
I just got 3790t.. yes, can view 3D building.. but only several building are included in the original map.

I have a question for the other owner, how long does the battery last?? mine is gone in like less than 2 hour.... really appreciate your reply.
Nuvis are meant for in-car use, never meant for hiking or pedestrian use. Those activities are meant for handheld models which have typical life of 20 hours or more on standard AA batteries. I have not stress mine to the limit as most of time used in-car.

and my personal opinion is that the volume is toooooo smalll... and the satellite locking is very slow compared to other gps... even to cheaper chinese OEM gps...
I have noticed that satellite lock is slower compared with my older 765. Hope they work on this with newer firmware :mrgreen:

kentcp
Contributor

Postby kentcp » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:45 am

I always connect the power supply whenever navigating, as whenever the GPS signal weak, it will draw more power to seek for signal

Volume - I feel it loud enough (US version). Currently, my setting is 80% and it loud and clear. However, the speaker phone sound not clarity enough but acceptable.
Satellite Locking - Yes, it is weak. I read from lot of review site, all mentioned the same issue. It is poorer than other model. I feel it as slow as my nokia Garmin XT.

Currently, I need to select "Exclude colored polygons (less laggy)" to make the map appear the road but lost the polygons and road is thinner. If anyone able to use full feature of MFM maps in Nuvi 3790T, do let me know ya. :tq:

Redstorm
Contributor

Postby Redstorm » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:19 pm

kentcp wrote:

I always connect the power supply whenever navigating, as whenever the GPS signal weak, it will draw more power to seek for signal

Volume - I feel it loud enough (US version). Currently, my setting is 80% and it loud and clear. However, the speaker phone sound not clarity enough but acceptable.
Satellite Locking - Yes, it is weak. I read from lot of review site, all mentioned the same issue. It is poorer than other model. I feel it as slow as my nokia Garmin XT.

Thank you, I hope my info can help others.[/

Currently, I need to select "Exclude colored polygons (less laggy)" to make the map appear the road but lost the polygons and road is thinner. If anyone able to use full feature of MFM maps in Nuvi 3790T, do let me know ya. :tq:

The problem with using the MFM map on the 3790 is not confined only to your device. A few of us 3790 users also faced the same problem.
Free beer tomorrow!ImageImage

Return to “GPS Devices”