Garmin nüvi 3790

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Nuvi3790 SG/MY

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 pm

rcmaps wrote:There is a major BUG with the 37XX units which I have reported to Garmin USA.

Map POIs are NOT displaying at the moment even when you are zoomed right in!

On Garmin City Navigator maps, no POIs are displayed at ALL.

On third party maps, like mine and MFM's, some POIs do show - such as traffic light icons, toilets, restricted areas etc.

This is most annoying as you can't really use this while walking around looking for POIs in a new unfamilliar area!

Garmin has stated that this will be fixed in an upcoming Firmware upgrade.

Bro Ron, the localized version comes with firmware 2.0 and it is displaying POI. See picture. I may be wrong though. ... lets see how other maps works. ... :mrgreen:

And thanks for the tips on the tracking feature :thumbsup:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

yc1437

Postby yc1437 » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Oh no hand itchy lioa lo......
时间存在的惟一理由是,如此才不会所有事情同时发生 - 爱因斯坦

GPS: Nuvi 3790

gychung

Postby gychung » Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:57 pm

silverbeauty wrote:Bro cychung, you can put the map in 2 places.
1. MainDirectory, create a map /Map and put the gmapsupp.img or rename it to whatever name you want
2. SD card /garmin directory with file name gmapsupp.img ( This is the recommended place to put third party map as any mistakes / corruption is user correctable )

For some reason, the MFM road lines will not show up. I managed to make it show up but at expense of disabling the colored polygons. ( see attached screenshots )
In both cases, routing is still working.
Hopefully MFM mapper can take a look at this

Another thing, what is the nett price you paid ? Is it $577+31 = $608 nett ?

Bro Silverbeauty.

I had tried already both the above suggestions but doesn't work for MFM. However, the Navnet v1.77 works. Any other ideas ???

I bought the unit at comex at $579 - $31 = $548

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:15 am

gychung wrote:
Bro Silverbeauty.

I had tried already both the above suggestions but doesn't work for MFM. However, the Navnet v1.77 works. Any other ideas ???

My suggestion, Re-download MFM map and try. Could be corruption of your copy :-k

I have been loading MFM map several times already, they all load and displayed, except for road lines ... trying to solve that.

If you are free this Sunday, do pop by and join GG at Botak Jones. We can have a look at your 3790 ...
viewtopic.php?p=123951#p123951

gychung

Postby gychung » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:55 am

silverbeauty wrote:
gychung wrote:
Bro Silverbeauty.

My suggestion, Re-download MFM map and try. Could be corruption of your copy :-k

I have been loading MFM map several times already, they all load and displayed, except for road lines ... trying to solve that.

If you are free this Sunday, do pop by and join GG at Botak Jones. We can have a look at your 3790 ...
viewtopic.php?p=123951#p123951

The file works on my 1460, should not be a corrupted file.
Oh...one more surprise. First, I deleted the both Navnet_v177.img and mfm gmapsupp.img,
rebooted the 3790. Checked the map, the indonesian map was still there.
It seems that no matter how many times you delete the files, it will restore by itself (very
annoying). I even delete the "MAP" folder, it restore by itself also !!!!

What is going on with Garmin ????

navigator

Postby navigator » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:34 am

I read somewhere that this newer model have slower gps locking compared with older model...any feedback on this???
Nokia N8 + Garmin Mobile XT

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:31 am

gychung wrote:
The file works on my 1460, should not be a corrupted file.
Oh...one more surprise. First, I deleted the both Navnet_v177.img and mfm gmapsupp.img,
rebooted the 3790. Checked the map, the indonesian map was still there.
It seems that no matter how many times you delete the files, it will restore by itself (very
annoying). I even delete the "MAP" folder, it restore by itself also !!!!

What is going on with Garmin ????

File "re-inventing" itself ? The only file that does that is the current.gpx which regenerated on each nuvi power cycle. It's simply a shadowed copy of the current favorites and the trip log on the unit.

Try a hard reset by doing the below mentioned :

1. Start with the unit turned OFF and unplugged from power ( Unit MUST be turn off and not in standby mode , if not off press and continue to hold power button )
2. Power ON the device
3. When the copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the touchscreen
4. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when a message appears that says Erase all user data?
5. Touch YES

This will erase all settings and user data so BACKUP (inclusive of hidden files )

When done, DO NOT load Navnet map file. First load MFM and see if it works.

Another thing I notice, try to wait at least half a minute or more after copying a file to the 3790 to make sure it has been done. Data corruption can occur if you pull out the USB cable from PC/Lappy.

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:42 am

navigator wrote:I read somewhere that this newer model have slower gps locking compared with older model...any feedback on this???

First time ( brand new ) lock takes a long time and after that no longer than my Taiwan born 765 under the clear blue sky.

Aye75

Postby Aye75 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:29 pm

Any news when this will available in Malaysia ?

gychung

Postby gychung » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:49 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
File "re-inventing" itself ? The only file that does that is the current.gpx which regenerated on each nuvi power cycle. It's simply a shadowed copy of the current favorites and the trip log on the unit.

Try a hard reset by doing the below mentioned :

1. Start with the unit turned OFF and unplugged from power ( Unit MUST be turn off and not in standby mode , if not off press and continue to hold power button )
2. Power ON the device
3. When the copyright screen appears press and hold the lower right hand corner of the touchscreen
4. Remove your finger from the touchscreen when a message appears that says Erase all user data?
5. Touch YES

This will erase all settings and user data so BACKUP (inclusive of hidden files )

When done, DO NOT load Navnet map file. First load MFM and see if it works.

Another thing I notice, try to wait at least half a minute or more after copying a file to the 3790 to make sure it has been done. Data corruption can occur if you pull out the USB cable from PC/Lappy.

Bro, I did that also and it doesn't work. The files and "MAP" folder is still there after the hard reset.
The only difference is that all my favorites were gone.

Did you try switching off the pre-installed maps ?? It won't switch off.
Try it and let me know.

Return to “GPS Devices”