Which One to Buy

Discussions and information on Personal Navigation Device (PND) and hand-held GPS devices.

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS device only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
badrol
Polygon Mapper

Re: What GPS brand to buy

Postby badrol » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:46 am

10009001 wrote:Hi!

I plan to buy a GPS. Not sure whether to buy China brand or local brand like garmin, papago & wayway.
Garmin, Papago & WayWay is not a local brand
I understand that if I buy local brand, I'll get a licensed software for map-update and no worries in the future.
If by "local brand" you mean licenced/OEM devices, then yes you got the licensed software for the gps software
Can anyone advise me pls?
the best is to buy devices where the map up-date is fully supported either by the manufacturer or by local gps comunity

Sad to say, in this region, the map coverage & up-date is not that good, thank god that we have local comunity that is crazy enough to provide free map up-date to everybody not no condition what so ever

There are many gps devices around, however only 2 that are supported by MFM:
1. Garmin
2. Papago (take note that WayWay & other manufacturers are using licensed gps sofware from Papago)

Go with this two and you can't go wrong. However my personal preference is Garmin

Thks.
ImageImageImage

aikliang
Contributor

Which One to Buy

Postby aikliang » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:18 pm

I am thinking of getting a PND. My PDA - ipaq rw6828 which I use for my GMXT has died on me. Even though I have iPhone, the papago M6 is very basic.

Came across this advertisement. GARMIN Nuvi 205w selling for RM499 (normal price RM649) and Goozee M350 selling for RM 299 (normal price RM499). Reading through the old threads the 205w was selling for nearly RM850 in 2008!!!

Should I go for the 205w @ RM499, M350 @ RM299 or the 205 @ RM399?

What is difference between the 205 and 205w? I know both the 205's are quite basic and old. the Goozee M350 should be using the PAPAGO engine?

Since I don't travel much, I don't intend to spend much on the PND. My iPhone does a good job of directing but for tracking and recording POI, I cannot extract the data from the iPhone. Budget-wise - not sure-lah maybe around RM500. (note: need to budget for my new hobby digital photography) :) :)

Appreciate some inputs on this issue....
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

ajay

Re: Which One to Buy

Postby ajay » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:24 pm

garmin is a safer bet, in case u want to travel overseas.. who knows?
the W is for wide. that's the difference. still using my old & trusty 205W :)
from Garmin Que for Pocket PC to Garmin Mobile XT for Windows Mobile to Nuvi 205W to Papago M9 for Android & now Garmin Nuvi 2576.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 3:02 pm

aikliang wrote:I am thinking of getting a PND. My PDA - ipaq rw6828 which I use for my GMXT has died on me. Even though I have iPhone, the papago M6 is very basic.

Came across this advertisement. GARMIN Nuvi 205w selling for RM499 (normal price RM649) and Goozee M350 selling for RM 299 (normal price RM499). Reading through the old threads the 205w was selling for nearly RM850 in 2008!!!

Should I go for the 205w @ RM499, M350 @ RM299 or the 205 @ RM399?

What is difference between the 205 and 205w? I know both the 205's are quite basic and old. the Goozee M350 should be using the PAPAGO engine?

Since I don't travel much, I don't intend to spend much on the PND. My iPhone does a good job of directing but for tracking and recording POI, I cannot extract the data from the iPhone. Budget-wise - not sure-lah maybe around RM500. (note: need to budget for my new hobby digital photography) :) :)

Appreciate some inputs on this issue....

Go for the Garmin. You have access to the free maps here and other third party communitiesmaps ie.. Navigasi for Indonesia, GPSRoadmaps for Philippines, etc...

As age catches up with our eyesight, go for the wider screen :mrgreen:

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:26 pm

okey dokey.. looks like I am going to be proud owner of a Nuvi 205w this coming weekend :$gone: :$gone: .... sighhhh there goes my prime lens for my nikon this month :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anything I have to look out for in particular others than the maps?
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

musangking
Valued Contributor

Postby musangking » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Actually, apart from what Bro Silver mentioned, the W means there is a larger area for you to type with making it quicker and less troublesome to key in names.

The 205W may be old but to be honest, I still prefer the old series. I have the 255W, 1370 and 1460. I still choose to move about with the 255W because it zooms less and you can easily see the icons as you drive. \:D/

Helps you identify places better and you can easily identify missing POIs. Go for it!

The lens can wait. Mega sale coming soon :$$:

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:24 pm

I am using Nuvi 205 and this old horse is still going strong except that it is not Wide screen. But it suffice for me to do Pedestrian navigating - easy to hold. I also have an iPAQ rx 3417 and it is serving me faithfully in testing new maps updates - ie., checking on my POIs and Polygons.

Although Nuvi 205 can do tracking, I am discouraging myself as always pulling in and out the cable may damage the terminal of my Nuvi 205, and it is costly to replace :$gone:

My PDA is not able to do 1 sec tracking so I am now looking for a "cheap" Papago to do the tracking job which hopefully will be soon.

Although Garmin is a safer bet for serious navigating, but I am not saying that other brands are no good.

BTW, I was given to understand that Nuvi 205 is being phased off and Nuvi 255/255W is superseding Nuvi 205...
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:32 pm

aikliang wrote:okey dokey.. looks like I am going to be proud owner of a Nuvi 205w this coming weekend :$gone: :$gone: .... sighhhh there goes my prime lens for my nikon this month :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anything I have to look out for in particular others than the maps?

The screen is the most expensive part of the hardware to replace so check the screen for missing/dead pixels. Go to maintenance mode to check the screen
Power off Garmin unit. Press on continuously the upper top left corner of screen and then power on the unit by pressing once on the Power button. You should be prompted to clear all user data, or asked if do you really want to start up in maintenance mode.

Next load several maps into SD card to test out the Nuvi. SD card should load smoothly and not jam entering or exiting the SD slot.

First time GPS lock may take long time but subsequent lock from power down to up should be very fast.

omegakimia

Cheapest Garmin?

Postby omegakimia » Thu Oct 28, 2010 5:43 am

Is it that Nuvi 200 or Nuvi 205 is the cheapest model of Garmin which can use MFM map?
My blog: www.lwjuan.com

Using iPhone Papago M6

Hometown in JB but currently studying in UNIMAS, Kuching..

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Re: Cheapest Garmin?

Postby yoladu » Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:21 am

omegakimia wrote:Is it that Nuvi 200 or Nuvi 205 is the cheapest model of Garmin which can use MFM map?

both the models you mentioned can use MFM maps and both have been discontinued. Some shops should still be clearing stock on the Nuvi205 but not the Nuvi 200.

The most important technology that set these two models apart is the hotfix. So if you plan to get a used one, go for the Nuvi 205, unless you are a patient person.

:D
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

Return to “GPS Devices”