Garmin ecoRoute™

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
edgarchen
Valued Contributor

Re: Garmin ecoRoute™ [Save gas and money while navigating]

Postby edgarchen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:14 pm

aceedburn wrote:
exz8 wrote:how the route - less fuel- be function?
how would it know where the route are less fuel consumption?

you read my mind entirely.

How Can ecoRoute Help?
What exactly is the difference between the “less fuel” option, as opposed to the “shortest” route? Well, my gut instinct tells me that it is not that much except for a mileage/efficiency calculator addition to the Garmin that will allow you to actually see the amount of gas you will be saving by taking the shorter distance as opposed to the faster.

That is unless Garmin has considered that when it comes to saving fuel and attaining the best possible Kilometers Per Litres, it depends a lot on what type of car you drive. If you drive a normally gas aspirated car, the less fuel route should have the least amount of city driving and the most highway. For most hybrid's, city driving with stop and go traffic will aid in the charging of the battery due to regenerative braking, so the greatest fuel efficiency would be achieved by taking the shortest route with the least amount of hills and high speed highways.

Calculating Your Best Efficiency Could be Beyond the Garmin's Capability... for Now
Is the new software complex enough to take all that into consideration? Well, probably not, but it does take into account the vehicle you drive and its average fuel economy. The real incentive with this update will most likely be the realization factor of how much a vehicles ultimate efficiency is effected by your driving choices.

Many GPS units default setting is the fastest method of travel. Many drivers care more about getting somewhere fast, than they do about traveling the least amount of distance. So, perhaps this update will help to wake up a few of the tree-patters out there into realizing that 5 minutes of time saved is not always worth the expended gas and exhaust. Especially when they see the numbers right in front of their face.

Taken from Boost Your Vehicles Efficiency for Free with Garmin ecoRoute: Coming this February!
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

hornet
Regional Mapper

Postby hornet » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi all,

ecoRoute firmware available for Nuvi 2X5W
Refer here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=51&p=18141#p18141

:rox:

edgarchen
Valued Contributor

Postby edgarchen » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:07 am

So how's the software working out for users so far?
Has it able to calculate a better fuel efficiency way for driving.. :-'
Everyone contribute a bit, eventually we can enjoy and benefit more in our navigation. :thumbsup:

chee_loong
Contributor

Postby chee_loong » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:43 am

This is a good feature should make available to all Garmin nuvi device.
It help save our earth.. most important save our $$$$...
Regards,
Chee Loong (Nuvi 1350)

fidodido

Postby fidodido » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:41 pm

Anyone know how to change my 205W's currency from RM to $?

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:18 am

edgarchen wrote:.....
Many GPS units default setting is the fastest method of travel. Many drivers care more about getting somewhere fast, than they do about traveling the least amount of distance. So, perhaps this update will help to wake up a few of the tree-patters out there into realizing that 5 minutes of time saved is not always worth the expended gas and exhaust. Especially when they see the numbers right in front of their face.

Taken from Boost Your Vehicles Efficiency for Free with Garmin ecoRoute: Coming this February!

I disagree.

Shorter distance does not mean fuel saving. Shorter distance usually means driving through minor roads with many turnings. The amount of fuel used to turn or accelerate your car from standstill is easily more than cruising on "faster" expressways or main roads.

Perhaps Garmin ecoRoute compares the number of intersections/junctions of each potential route and recommend the route with least intersections/junctions?

alexkwlee

Postby alexkwlee » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:07 am

how we know our car will use how many litre of petrol during city drive and highway drive?? any idea ka?? :ko:

jeremaze
Polygon Mapper

Postby jeremaze » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 am

In EcoRoute you need to input L/100km.
To estimate or Calculate your Fuel Consumption, you can fuel up full tank, press mileage meter to 0, drive few days until finish your fuel and fill up to full tank again. Check the pump how many Liter of Fuel and check your mileage meter how far you drove this few days.
For example: you drive 450km with 35Liter fuel : 450KM/35L = 12.85km/L OR 7.78L/100km
IF you want to calculate the cost , the formula is : $per Liter / 12.85KM = RM1.8/12.85 = RM0.14/KM

Some of the car got FC meter to check the fuel consumption, highway drive is meant for consistent speed driving in good Torque NM@certain RPM.

Honda City FC meter is calculated in KM/L.
My FC is 16KM/L in City Drive, 17KM/L in highway Drive. Highway speed around 105km/h in 2200PRM+-
I Drove from Klang to JB and back to Klang with only 1 full tank fuel 40Liter... :evil: :mrgreen: I got 18.5km/L that day without Ecoroute

turn into L/100KM:

City Drive :100/16 = 6.25L
Highway Drive :100/17 = 5.88L
http://www.facebook.com/pages/10000-People-Request-Garmin-to-provide-Compiler-to-MFM-Malfreemapscom/256105137738698

jwschow
Location: Klang Valley and occasionally else where... (nüvi® 205, E66 GMXT & Sports Tracker)

Postby jwschow » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:52 pm

has anyone any idea on the driving challenge?

the ecoRoute optimum driving speed is 80kmph (on my car speedo shows 90kmph though) thats green and 99...anything above or below you get yellow...all these while i thought the ideal speed on our highways are 90-100kmph..

and i've failed so far on the challenges :mrgreen: my acceleration is far better than decelaration...and my speed score is the worst....who can with malaysian roads.. :-'
Julian C.

ahnah

Postby ahnah » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:15 am

how to install this ecoRoute for my Nuvi 765 Taiwan set ?
Garmin Nuvi 765 TWN, software ver 2.50
Garmin Mapsource 6.13.7

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”