Mapsource stops recognizing any Nuvi..

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ianchong48

Mapsource stops recognizing any Nuvi..

Postby ianchong48 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:14 pm

:frus: :frus:
Over the weekend, for no apparent reason a connection problem encountered:
- Mapsource (v6.16.3, Win7 x64) no longer recognizes any of my
3 Nuvis (760, 1490 or 3590)

However,
- am able to access Nuvi internal memory + the installed SD cards
- Garmin's own WebUpdater and Lifetime Updater apps both perform perfectly.

I desperately need to copy my favourites, routes, on my 1490LMT & 760 over to my new 3590LMT. I have always used Mapsource and my various .gdb files to manage waypoints, etc.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Mapsource from original disc and completed all software updates.

:ko: :ko:
What else can I do to fix Mapsource..?? Also, is there another way I can manipulate favourites, etc or my .gdb files between my PC and various nuvi gps?

Thank you much in advance for all advice/assistance.

Ian

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: Mapsource stops recognizing any Nuvi..

Postby moeyhc » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:39 pm

You can reinstall Mapsource to see if it work.

You can also use Gpsbabel to convert the GPX file in your nuvi to gdb and open in mapsource for editing then convert back to GPX to be loaded into the GPS.

Hope this helps.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

ianchong48

Postby ianchong48 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm

moeyhc wrote:You can reinstall Mapsource to see if it work.

You can also use Gpsbabel to convert the GPX file in your nuvi to gdb and open in mapsource for editing then convert back to GPX to be loaded into the GPS.

Hope this helps.

Hello moeyhc:
Thank you very much for responding so quickly. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with MapSource or the Nuvi. My big headache is cured ....

It seems the new Nuvi's (beginning from the 2590) behave differently from older models because they are setup as MTP devices and not as USB Mass Storage devices and that is exactly what trhe MapSource error message I keep on getting is referring to:

MapSource
No devices were found. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again.
You may also need to set the interface option on your GPS to "Garmin" or "Host".

Thanks, alls well that ends well .... :peace:
Ian

eddy_duyung
Contributor
Location: Tinggi Island,Johore. Garmin Mobile XT,nüvi 50LM,nüvi 880,nüvi 255W,nüvi 2465

Postby eddy_duyung » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:45 am

Try create a new user account in your windows setting,be sure you set it as moderator...log on in you new user account ,because..this was happen in my garmin mobile PC before ..accidently access to garmin online sites and cant access to my map in GMPC..then, i create new user account....there luckily i can access my map again..weird?? there is always hidden setting inside the devices it self...need to be creative sometimes...hope this help..
Nokia 5800XM , Garmin nüvi 50LM,Garmin nüvi 880,Garmin nüvi 255W,Garmin nüvi 2465

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:59 pm

Interesting. I suppose Garmin wants to kill off this product and force the less inform to migrate to BaseCamp. Will try it out when I get back my GPS.

ianchong48

Postby ianchong48 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:51 pm

chinwy wrote:Interesting. I suppose Garmin wants to kill off this product and force the less inform to migrate to BaseCamp. Will try it out when I get back my GPS.

Did not actually think of it that way .... but I suppose it's possible. :-k

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”