Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Boxster

Re: Converting Nuvi 2x5W Firmware to MAL/SIN Firmware

Postby Boxster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:45 pm

hi bmbk

I have not make any attempt yet

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:25 pm

clow8 wrote:I have flashed my 255W US set with s4 board to local firmware (2.7). Now I am not able to upgrade my firmware to latest version. According to some experts here, I need special rgn to update my GPS sortware to 2.8 and further.
I am not sure what is the new update/feature on every software update, but now I am stuck at 2.7. I can enjoy the LA and JCV, but can't get new feature .e.g. audio from latest software version.

Remember the last time I had mentioned that the patched RGN is a cocktail firmware combining boot.bin and data.bin from different HWID's. I've just figured out which is which, and I believe I can generate similar patched RGN with latest firmware version. If you're interested, PM me for more info.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

bmbk

Postby bmbk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:11 pm

I have a US Garmin 255W, at the rear of the device, near the bar code, the model writen 255W,

However when i go into the diagnosis mode, its written as following..

SW Ver 6.50, Nuvi 2W series S4_R3 V4 2GB.

Under the setting, about, its written 255W. and the hardware ID is 1091.

Question, Why the in the diagnosis mode its showing Nuvi 2W series ? Is this normal ?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Yes, that's normal.

bmbk

Postby bmbk » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:17 pm

Oh Ok, thought some freak have flash it and sold it to me ](*,) 8-)

clow8

Postby clow8 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:13 am

dvpro wrote:
clow8 wrote:I have flashed my 255W US set with s4 board to local firmware (2.7). Now I am not able to upgrade my firmware to latest version. According to some experts here, I need special rgn to update my GPS sortware to 2.8 and further.
I am not sure what is the new update/feature on every software update, but now I am stuck at 2.7. I can enjoy the LA and JCV, but can't get new feature .e.g. audio from latest software version.

Remember the last time I had mentioned that the patched RGN is a cocktail firmware combining boot.bin and data.bin from different HWID's. I've just figured out which is which, and I believe I can generate similar patched RGN with latest firmware version. If you're interested, PM me for more info.

Hi dvpro,
You are awesome :champ: , your RGN file is working for me.
Appreciate your help and many many thanks :thumbsup:

Probably, you can post your RGN link here to benefit everyone who having problem to upgrade their S4 board device to latest software.

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:21 am

You're welcome.

I had actually used TurboCCC's RGN_Tool to generate the patched RGN and anyone can do the same with the tool. I've also managed to generate a patched RGN for Nuvi 755 which was earlier bricked with white screen. I believe as long as the Boot.bin of the original firmware is retained, it is safe to flash with this kind of RGN.

Here's some discussion on RGN_Tool (you can find the link to TurboCCC's RGN_Tool there): viewtopic.php?p=128770#p128770

clow8 wrote:Probably, you can post your RGN link here to benefit everyone who having problem to upgrade their S4 board device to latest software.

This is the patched RGN (US HWID 0827 v6.60 + Sg/My v3.10): http://www.sendspace.com/file/1ej48o

Note: For S4 Board Nuvi255W/265W with HWID0827 only. For other HWID S4 board Nuvi255W, you can try use RGN_Tool to generate patched RGN. PM me for more info.

purnomo.aw

Postby purnomo.aw » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Hi I am new,
I succeeded flash my nuvi 205W HWID 827 S2 board, with Peterk/earthkeeper method.
Thanks for sharing..

Now my 205W support TTS . with SG 2.70 firmware

So, is it possible/save to upgrade to SG 3.10 firmware (nuvi205W_SG_v310.exe) firmware that come from www.garmin.com.sg ?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:36 pm

If you had flashed Nuvi with a normal RGN (not patched) generated from Sg/My firmware, you should be able to update Nuvi using the normal updater meant for Sg/My units.

purnomo.aw

Postby purnomo.aw » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:11 am

Thank you dvpro...

It is worked...
I already updated my nuvi 205W with 3.10 software from http://www.garmin.com.sg

* Nuvi 205W US ,HWID 827,S2 board --->converted to SING/MAL 3.10
Last edited by dvpro on Sat Oct 30, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: You're welcome.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”