Garmin Mobile XT Q&A

Discussions and information on PC-based GPS software

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. NO out of topic. Discuss about GPS software only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
adrianyujs

Re: Garmin Mobile XT Q&A

Postby adrianyujs » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:52 am

karuntael wrote:Pls can anyone help me to transfer "GARMIN_WPT.NVM" from a SYMBIAN phone to a WINDOWS MOBILE phone.

I tried copying "GARMIN_WPT.NVM" file from sym to WinMob directly. I can see the waypoints BUT the words are missing and I can't rename them too....

Correct me if i'm wrong... I think this has to do with the fonts...

Symbian and windows ce uses the same font type so the waypoints can be copied vice versa, i.e. GarminDejaVuSans.ttf & GarminDejaVuSans-Bold.ttf

Is it possible to install this font in a windows mobile phone... pls guide me....

Thank you.

Its different platform, there is nothing u can do...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mechanic_guna

Postby mechanic_guna » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 am

adrianyujs wrote:
karuntael wrote:Pls can anyone help me to transfer "GARMIN_WPT.NVM" from a SYMBIAN phone to a WINDOWS MOBILE phone.

I tried copying "GARMIN_WPT.NVM" file from sym to WinMob directly. I can see the waypoints BUT the words are missing and I can't rename them too....

Correct me if i'm wrong... I think this has to do with the fonts...

Symbian and windows ce uses the same font type so the waypoints can be copied vice versa, i.e. GarminDejaVuSans.ttf & GarminDejaVuSans-Bold.ttf

Is it possible to install this font in a windows mobile phone... pls guide me....

Thank you.

Its different platform, there is nothing u can do...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Dear Sir,
It is possible to transfer waypoints from a symbian OS to a windows mobile OS. This can be done through mapsource. I have Nokia E52 phone running Garmin Mobile XT Ver 5.00.50s60.9. I have transfered waypoints to a HTC H2 windows mobile phone also running Garmin Mobile XT.
1. First install mapsource in your PC. Mapsource is now obsolete but if you search the internet you will find ways to install it on your PC. Alternatively please read this topic: http://www.malfreemaps.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735&start=0
2. Once you have installed mapsource, Connect your symbian phone to a USB port on the PC and ensure that Garmin Mobile XT is running. Please ensure that Garmin USB drivers has been installed before you connect your phone to the PC. You can get it from here:http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591. Open mapsource and go to 'Utilities' and click 'Get Unit ID...'. Make sure that your mapsource can detect your unit.
3. Go to 'Transfer' and click 'Receive from Device'. If it is successful all your way points will be downloaded to mapsource. You can now save this as a GPX file on your PC.
4. Next install 'Active sync' on your PC. This is free and you can get it from here:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15. Please choose the correct one for your OS.
5. Then run Garmin Mobile XT on your windows mobile phone.
6. Go to Mapsource -> 'Transfer' -> 'Send To Device....' and upload all the waypoints you have downloaded in (3) to your windows mobile phone.
7. Done.

karuntael
Contributor

Postby karuntael » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:33 pm

adrianyujs wrote:

Dear Sir,
It is possible to transfer waypoints from a symbian OS to a windows mobile OS. This can be done through mapsource. I have Nokia E52 phone running Garmin Mobile XT Ver 5.00.50s60.9. I have transfered waypoints to a HTC H2 windows mobile phone also running Garmin Mobile XT.
1. First install mapsource in your PC. Mapsource is now obsolete but if you search the internet you will find ways to install it on your PC. Alternatively please read this topic: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=735&start=0
2. Once you have installed mapsource, Connect your symbian phone to a USB port on the PC and ensure that Garmin Mobile XT is running. Please ensure that Garmin USB drivers has been installed before you connect your phone to the PC. You can get it from here:http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591. Open mapsource and go to 'Utilities' and click 'Get Unit ID...'. Make sure that your mapsource can detect your unit.
3. Go to 'Transfer' and click 'Receive from Device'. If it is successful all your way points will be downloaded to mapsource. You can now save this as a GPX file on your PC.
4. Next install 'Active sync' on your PC. This is free and you can get it from here:http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15. Please choose the correct one for your OS.
5. Then run Garmin Mobile XT on your windows mobile phone.
6. Go to Mapsource -> 'Transfer' -> 'Send To Device....' and upload all the waypoints you have downloaded in (3) to your windows mobile phone.
7. Done.

Hi adrianyujs...

Thank you for the detailed explanations... I've never used mapsource before...
but i'll give it a try....

Thank you.

Return to “GPS Software & Apps”