Flood Area POI or avoidance

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
tks

Flood Area POI or avoidance

Postby tks » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Until recent times, floods have been relatively unheard of in modern Singapore. But now, from a once in 50 years flood, we have already been hit by 4 of them, with 3 of them in the last 2 months. Places affected include upmarket Bukit Timah area and (gasp) prime shopping area Orchard Road. I understand that Malaysian newspapers had a field day!

Now, my friend yesterday asked me if I could download a Singapore map for him which will allow him to avoid flooded roads. That set me thinking.

Is it possible to do this? Flood Area avoidance? I checked my Garmin Mobile XT and the closest I got was "pool' in "Carpool Lane". Anyway, I doubt it is practical to do this coz you end up avoiding many major roads.

Best alternative I think is to have a "Flood Prone Area POI". Something like ERP or SpeedCam POI where you are warned just before you reach the area. This is doable. I did a quick search and realise someone had in fact tried to do this for some part of Malaysia few years back.

Finally, I wonder if the Traffic Information for the new Nuvis for Singapore includes Flood Info. This will be the best solution coz it is real time. I think it is not too difficult to implement. LTA just has to work with NEA or whoever is monitoring floods in Singapore.

Any comments?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “General GPS Forum”