How to get coordinates from GE/GPS coordinates do not tally?

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
Immortal25

How to get coordinates from GE/GPS coordinates do not tally?

Postby Immortal25 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:11 pm

Hey ppls...just wondering why wikimapia and google map coordinates do not tally with the mfm coordinates? I was searching for a location via google and it gave me the gps coordinates as well. Typed that in my garmin and it turns out to be a different place? Near..but still off...

user66

Re: GPS coordinates do not tally?

Postby user66 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:57 am

they should be more or less the same (+/- 50 meters) unless one is totally wrong. but one thing to keep in mind, wikimapia and google map is more of a web map for general reference so the scale of display could be another factor of error

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:33 am

Immortal25 wrote:Hey ppls...just wondering why wikimapia and google map coordinates do not tally with the mfm coordinates? I was searching for a location via google and it gave me the gps coordinates as well. Typed that in my garmin and it turns out to be a different place? Near..but still off...

Could you share with us the co-ordinates and the difference you encountered .... :-'

user66

Postby user66 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 am

example 1: serious error in google map

Green View Restaurant, No. 6, J 19/3, PJ.

google map coordinates: N3.085155,E101.653756 [wrong location]
mfm coordinates: N3.11793, E101.62905 [correct location]

example 2: +/- 50 meters

Nanking Vegetarian Restaurant, J 19/3, PJ

google map: N3.118191, E101.628921
wikimapia: N3.119144, E101.6287869
mfm : N3.11913, E101.62899

FrancisTLim
Valued Contributor

Postby FrancisTLim » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:00 pm

Not sure about Wiki, but I think the problem with Google maps is that it does not officially give coordinates. There are various tricks to try to get some coordinates, but for some reason, when you right-click on a point, there is no option that says LatLon coordinates.

Also, another possible difference is that we don't know what grid Google & Wiki uses. Many of us set our Garmin receivers to use WGS84, but we can set it to other grids too. And then the coordinates will be different with varying amounts all over.

Just some speculation. Not sure if anyone has the real answer.

Regards,
FrancisTLim.

tlchuan
Polygon Mapper
Location: Subang Jaya (x10 & Oregon 300)Garmin 255w sgmy, 2575RLM, Wayway 5035

Postby tlchuan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:01 pm

these is due to goggle maps it self got offset to prevent somebody use the coordinate to boom some 1 or something :mrgreen:

Immortal25

Postby Immortal25 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Silverbeauty, like user66 posted...
But anyways yeah, I'm just wondering, cos sometimes when someone asks me how to go to a place, I had the idea of just googling for the coordinates online and that would help give a more specific direction compared to say searching for the place in the gps itself. This is especially for places which are not very well known. Big places like shopping malls and other attractions would of course come up easily in the gps without the need to find it online...but thing is, I thought it would really help to get the coordinates online. Too bad then :(

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Immortal25 wrote:Silverbeauty, like user66 posted...
But anyways yeah, I'm just wondering, cos sometimes when someone asks me how to go to a place, I had the idea of just googling for the coordinates online and that would help give a more specific direction compared to say searching for the place in the gps itself. This is especially for places which are not very well known. Big places like shopping malls and other attractions would of course come up easily in the gps without the need to find it online...but thing is, I thought it would really help to get the coordinates online. Too bad then :(

Yes I used google for coordinate when I am in the office or online. I double check on my GPS for acculate coordinate before sending it out to friends.
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

doraemon
Polygon Mapper

Postby doraemon » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:28 pm

To get the coordinates from google map, click on the gear icon on right side of SIGN IN > map labs > LatLng Marker to ENABLE.

In the map, right click your position and select "Drop LatLng Marker". Then you can copy and paste into mapsource. After paste, manually add N and E on the coordinates.

Bear in mind that there are some offsets, we do not encourage you use this coordinates for contributions.

Immortal25

Re: How to get coordinates from GE/GPS coordinates do not ta

Postby Immortal25 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Well as i said, google maps does not exactly tally with garmin, so that's sad otherwise it would be awesome.

Return to “General GPS Forum”