Grid Overlay for Topo Maps

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
aikliang
Contributor

Grid Overlay for Topo Maps

Postby aikliang » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:15 am

I am at a lost and after searching for a few days on the internet, I am going nowhere... :ko: :ko: :ko:

Is it possible to insert grid overlays into topo maps in mapsource? or a compass heading to indicate which direction is North?

I want to print out some topo maps for my hiking and trekking trips using the ASTER-GDEM v1.02 topo maps and would like to print out the grid overlay or the compass or North direction together with the maps. Any programs or methods to use to do this?
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

cwyap
Valued Contributor

Re: Grid Overlay for Topo Maps

Postby cwyap » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:14 am

Perhaps you can do a "screen capture" to JPG format and then use a graphic application like Irfan View to draw the main cardinal points onto the JPG file, and the print it out. But you will have to do a little bit of cropping.
Courage is not living without fear.
Courage is being scared to death and doing the right thing anyway.
- Chae Richardson

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 am

cwyap wrote:Perhaps you can do a "screen capture" to JPG format and then use a graphic application like Irfan View to draw the main cardinal points onto the JPG file, and the print it out. But you will have to do a little bit of cropping.
Hi bro, that would be my last resort. My other question would be - is the map placement in mapsource following the N-S meridian or is place that way for ease of viewing? If it is not following the meridians, then I will have to compensate for the off-set.
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

hookpoo

Postby hookpoo » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:15 am

You can use basecamp to print out the topo with latitude and longitude.

Return to “General GPS Forum”