How to change cadastral coprdinate system to lat/long

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
myababil

How to change cadastral coprdinate system to lat/long

Postby myababil » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:21 pm

I hope this is the rite place to ask hehehe. Ive problem to locate coordinate from raster (paper) map in my gps. I have paper map form JT Kedah Malaysia, which shows coordinate in cadastral system. The point are U52760.859 B1071.929 which are U I think for North and B for west. So any body here please help me....
Thank you.

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Re: How to change cadastral coprdinate system to lat/long

Postby sobamy » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:57 pm

myababil wrote:I hope this is the rite place to ask hehehe. Ive problem to locate coordinate from raster (paper) map in my gps. I have paper map form JT Kedah Malaysia, which shows coordinate in cadastral system. The point are U52760.859 B1071.929 which are U I think for North and B for west. So any body here please help me....
Thank you.

Here is the link to Cadastral Mapping Guidelines

http://www.nationalcad.org/data/documen ... dards.html

Hope this of of help... Cheers.
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:16 pm

AFAIK, the Cadastral Survey maps the legal boundaries of property ownership whereas a coordinate in the Lat/Long system describes the location of a point. A Cadastral Map is more like the polygons in our maps so we are not comparing apple to apple. There is no unique Cadastral Coordinate System and the surveying authority may employ one of the many coordinate systems (described here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coordinate_system including the Lat/Long Coordinate system) so you really have to ask the surveying authority what system they used.
Lean not on your own understanding

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:41 am

myababil wrote:I hope this is the rite place to ask hehehe. Ive problem to locate coordinate from raster (paper) map in my gps. I have paper map form JT Kedah Malaysia, which shows coordinate in cadastral system. The point are U52760.859 B1071.929 which are U I think for North and B for west. So any body here please help me....
Thank you.

google it and u will find many online converters to convert between the many formats of gps coordinates
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

myababil

Postby myababil » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:01 pm

Thank you everybody,
Sobamy, I went to that link but I still unable to convert or detect the exact point. I dont find any converter for this type of point, I can convert UTM and most of mapping system point but I unable to find this type point converter. I already google it for 1 month until I decide to give up and ask from my friend here hehehe. I Think i want to call jUPEM to help me the way to convert or how they measure points for Land Lots in Malaysia. I attached here pic of the place which is at Kuala Nerang. I can locate it roughly through Google Earth but I need the exact point at least one point to make that map exactly on the place of the earth. The point is on the top right of the map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

myababil

Postby myababil » Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Point U52760.859 and B1071.929 I guess refer to North 52760.859 meters and West 1071.929 meters. But I don't know form where the point measured. Is it from Kertau or any Datum or map line. But Im sure not from Equator (UTM map system or any GPS grid.

myababil

Postby myababil » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:31 pm

I found web converter for this point but still unable to put me at the correct point I think.. Its away about 500 meters from my location in Google which I think the best point in my view. It maybe due to Tsunami in Aceh n Japan according to webmaster. Thanks to all of you.

sobamy
Polygon Mapper

Postby sobamy » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:59 pm

myababil wrote:I found web converter for this point but still unable to put me at the correct point I think.. Its away about 500 meters from my location in Google which I think the best point in my view. It maybe due to Tsunami in Aceh n Japan according to webmaster. Thanks to all of you.

Glad to be of help. The difference in the "offset" could possibly be due to the earth's shift after the tsunami in Japan as reported in the newspapers sometime back.
~~ freely receive ~ freely give ~~

myababil

Postby myababil » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:26 pm

Problem solved. That point is refers to Kedah/Perlis Cassini Datum at Gunung Perak. So I convert manually by mathematics calculation and got the correct point hehehehe. Ok Thanks all

hookpoo

Postby hookpoo » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:11 pm

Just for curiosity, what is the actual lat/long?

Using Kertau and WM grid, the lat/long is N5 53.856 E100 41.622, using Mapsource.

Return to “General GPS Forum”