GPS junkies

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
simseair
Valued Contributor

GPS junkies

Postby simseair » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Just wondering if there are fellow MFM members who fall under the category of GPS junkies and who have the psyche "about having an intimate knowledge of our locations".

"It’s funny to see others like me, GPS junkies, sweating out the new releases like so many defendants awaiting a jury’s verdict. Like an addict looking for his next fix, much of my internet time is spent looking for fresh posts and news of the “new and improved” GPS. I don’t have a smart phone, nor do I care much for other areas of technological improvements, I actually tend to abhor most “gadgets”. There is just something strong with the human psyche about having an intimate knowledge of our location". Quoted from Yogazoo at GPSTracklog.

tankahn

Re: GPS junkies

Postby tankahn » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:11 am

Before having GPS I would wander in a clockwise direction, thinking somehow I would not lose my orientation. Another method is to turn and face backwards to memorize the path I just took. It didn't help in the jungle of course and panicked momentarily that I might be lost. Having a GPS changed all that. I also learn lots of stuff, like how far my parents lived from each other before they married (6kms), the speed of the train I am on from Bangkok to Penang (about 90kmh), speedometer of most cars are off by 10kmh, pilots are cautious people as they flew a wide arc south over Riau islands before landing in Changi.

I bought 7 handheld GPS so far, not including a Garmin A50 Android, 3 Nokias Symbian units, a Holux for laptop navigation. My latest toy is the Gamin Nuvi 2465, giving me a perfect excuse to install a RAM mount on my motorcycle for it. I am checking for latest updates when Garmin Montana will be locally available. GPS are so affordable nowadays since I remember paying almost a $1000 then for a 76cx.

simseair
Valued Contributor

Re: GPS junkies

Postby simseair » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:51 pm

Bro Tankahn,

Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, jungle trekking would be a lot more fun if you have a GPS to show where you have been. And to have less worry about getting lost as it is easy to just make a wrong turn. Also, to know how long you have walked, how high you have climbed, how long more to go, etc.

I would like to see the surrounding area in the places where I travel so it is nice to have a map where you can either zoom in or out and to know the area. Most of us would have the experience of going into a city and walking or driving around and then realised that you have passed the area before as it looked familiar. It is frustrating in the pre-GPS days when we drive around a place which looked familiar and yet feeling lost. The other important thing is to quickly find food in a new town or city. The extra bonus will be to find good food in a town which was recommended by others.

Looking forward to the Montana to add to the 2 forerunners, 3 handhelds and 4 nuvis. =P~ =P~

Return to “General GPS Forum”