Using GPS without Map

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
lazo

Using GPS without Map

Postby lazo » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi friends,

I'm going to do some community work in Laos and I have a tough time finding Laos GPS Map.

I want to ask if:
What will happen to the GPS device when it does not have the map (of current location, Laos in this case) loaded?
Will it still be able to show coordinate (and maybe a blank screen) when it does not have the map?

I am asking this for safety reasons, so I can send my coordinates to my support at my home location when I'm at Laos (in case anything happen, they can send emergency respond team over, directly to my project location, using the coordinates)

Thanks for clarifying! :peace:

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Using GPS without Map

Postby silverbeauty » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:28 pm

You did not mention what make/model GPS you have so I will assume you are using a Garmin make.

Garmin GPS usually have a base map loaded as default map so even without a detail map, it will still show some terrain/major roads. The GPS will still track your movement and display co-ordinates when recall.

In your situation! Garmin handheld GPS are best suited due to it's long battery life and ability to do "bread-crump" tracking of your journey without a map.

Try this link http://rotweilermaps.com which has a map of Laos / Indo-China. The map is not free as it is shareware and requires a $ contribution.

lazo

Postby lazo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:15 pm

I do not have a GPS device yet - my team will be buying one to fit our requirement

we want to be able to know our current coordinates at a ulu ulu project site (so I can share with my team mate in the city)

we will not be using the GPS for driving or whatsoever purpose.

I'm concern if the GPS couldnt load anything at all because it does not have the map of the current location (the GPS does not know where it is at)

or is there a tracker device fits my purpose better? (i checked and realise that most tracking device are using GSM to send SMS to update to the server, since i'm going overseas, it is unlikely i want to send regular international sms to update my current status)
Last edited by lazo on Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mechanic_guna

Postby mechanic_guna » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:23 pm

Dear Sir,
Most if not all GPS do have a "where am I" function. This will give you the current location of the GPS. If you are holding the GPS in your hands it will give you your location. With or without the map loaded, you can still find your co-ordinates provided the GPS can "see" the sky (satellites).

I hope this answers your question.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:28 pm

lazo wrote:I do not have a GPS device yet - my team will be buying one to fit our requirement

we want to be able to know our current coordinates at a ulu ulu project site (so I can share with my team mate in the city)

we will not be using the GPS for driving or whatsoever purpose.

I'm concern if the GPS couldnt load anything at all because it does not have the map of the current location (the GPS does not know where it is at)

or is there a tracker device fits my purpose better?

A Garmin handheld like the etrex series and the GPSMAP® 62 series should fit your need for a GPS to track trails and yet show you your location off trail without a loaded street map. Also the mentioned series have great battery life of over 10 hours minimum using regular standard AA batteries more than adequate for a days tracking in undeveloped terrains

See the range and specifications via this link http://www.garmin.com/us/products/onthetrail/

lazo

Postby lazo » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks for your detailed replies. I went online and read more about the Etrex models. They are pretty affordable.

However, I encounter the following doubts:

About way point (or Point of Interest) - we will have a local tour guide at the project site (a remote village) to bring us to several places (say point A , B, C and D) once , and after that, my team will need to navigate between these places ourselves (and not in sequence). Will waypoint gives a fixed route or we can directly use the device to navigate to any saved points? (like can go directly to any specific saved point, at any time)

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:17 pm

lazo wrote:Thanks for your detailed replies. I went online and read more about the Etrex models. They are pretty affordable.

About way point (or Point of Interest) - we will have a local tour guide at the project site (a remote village) to bring us to several places (say point A , B, C and D) once , and after that, my team will need to navigate between these places ourselves (and not in sequence). Will waypoint gives a fixed route or we can directly use the device to navigate to any saved points? (like can go directly to any specific saved point, at any time)

Yes, you can log the position of route n lock position of POI of location A, B, and C via the etrex. And later follow trail back to those locations.

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:01 am

lazo wrote:Hi friends,

I'm going to do some community work in Laos and I have a tough time finding Laos GPS Map.

I have a copy of the Laos map for Garmin devices, not the best but better than MFM's version.

It shows all the roads in most of the towns except for new town like Hongsa. I have used this map for my offroad riding, going through the national park, and most ulu villages not marked out in the map but it is still useful because it will create a trip log along the way so I can use the trackback function whenever I was lost.

The size of this map is only 1047KB so if you want to try it out I can send it to you by email. Please PM me your email.

cheers
:D
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

yoladu
Valued Contributor

Postby yoladu » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:12 am

silverbeauty wrote:
lazo wrote:Thanks for your detailed replies. I went online and read more about the Etrex models. They are pretty affordable.

Yes, you can log the position of route n lock position of POI of location A, B, and C via the etrex. And later follow trail back to those locations.

Basically you will mark the places as POI A, POI B...etc. For handheld Garmin, you turn on your track log function, and trace the route as you move between these marked POI, You can change the color of the track if you are vain. Once you have done that, even if the map does not show any roads, you can just follow the track to the POI.
Contribute exclusively to MFM. MSM don't get it !

Return to “General GPS Forum”