Garmin Singapore

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
nuvi

Garmin Singapore

Postby nuvi » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:53 pm

Came across this article, just wondering what's the impact.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/s ... 39CC22D32B

Garmin's Announcement on Official Website for Singapore & Malaysia
garminsg / 17 Jun 2009

www.garmin.com.sg is Garmin’s official website for Singapore & Malaysia. Some parallel importers have set up websites (eg. www.garmin-singapore.com) and claimed that they are providing Garmin Singapore sales & services, which has misled end users. Garmin will reserve the right to take legal actions against the claims. And Garmin has long been promoting localized models in Singapore and Malaysia. Users with localized models can enjoy free updates for software, junction view images, and 3-D buildings only on Garmin’s official website: www.garmin.com.sg.

Please make sure that you are buying localized models from Garmin’s authorized distributors/dealers and check Garmin’s official website for the latest updates available to localized models.
If you have problems identifying the product version, you may refer to the bottom of our package. The product version is usually after the model name. Or call Garmin at +886-2-2642-9199 ext.2 or email Garmin at marketing.asia@garmin.com for more support.

chaicka
Polygon Mapper

Re: Garmin Singapore

Postby chaicka » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:47 pm

nuvi wrote:Came across this article, just wondering what's the impact.

garminsg / 17 Jun 2009

http://www.garmin.com.sg is Garmin’s official website for Singapore & Malaysia. Some parallel importers have set up websites (eg. http://www.garmin-singapore.com) and claimed that they are providing Garmin Singapore sales & services, which has misled end users. Garmin will reserve the right to take legal actions against the claims. And Garmin has long been promoting localized models in Singapore and Malaysia. Users with localized models can enjoy free updates for software, junction view images, and 3-D buildings only on Garmin’s official website: http://www.garmin.com.sg.

Please make sure that you are buying localized models from Garmin’s authorized distributors/dealers and check Garmin’s official website for the latest updates available to localized models.
If you have problems identifying the product version, you may refer to the bottom of our package. The product version is usually after the model name. Or call Garmin at +886-2-2642-9199 ext.2 or email Garmin at marketing.asia@garmin.com for more support.

Great. Garmin really took action. :thumbsup:

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:59 am

nuvi wrote:Came across this article, just wondering what's the impact.

garminsg / 17 Jun 2009

http://www.garmin.com.sg is Garmin’s official website for Singapore & Malaysia. Some parallel importers have set up websites (eg. http://www.garmin-singapore.com) and claimed that they are providing Garmin Singapore sales & services, which has misled end users. Garmin will reserve the right to take legal actions against the claims. And Garmin has long been promoting localized models in Singapore and Malaysia. Users with localized models can enjoy free updates for software, junction view images, and 3-D buildings only on Garmin’s official website: http://www.garmin.com.sg.

Great newbie you are, registering just to let the blur sotongs of MFM know the latest action by Garmin =D>

Treat me as a newbie and answer my questions.
1. What parallel imported Garmin products does http://www.garmin-singapore.com sells?

2. How long has Garmin been promoting localized models in SG & MY? I bought a Nuvi 205W from M3GPS, retailer for AECO, in March and mine was not localized model. Isn't AECO an authorized distributor supposed to be selling localized models?

3. I bought another Nuvi, a 255W, from Taiwan. I am sure my Nuvi 255W was from authorized distributors because my Nuvi 255W has junction view etc for Taiwan. Can my Nuvi run Garmin MY & SG map with junction view?

4. I bought my Nuvi 255W for RM680 (NT$5,800). Your latest price is RM977 (SG$399). Do I have to pay >40% more to your fat pocket to enjoy addition features such as junction view?

MFM is not partial to any party and we provide FREE map updates to ALL Garmin users. Don't use this forum for your business conflicts. If I do not receive a proper reply by Sunday, this topic goes to the trash O:)

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:13 am

More Newbie questions:-

- I bought a 205W Taiwan with JCV and Garmin cheated me by locking the Mal/Sg JCV. Do you think it is correct to do this after a customer has bought the unit thinking that the feature will be there?

- Why must JCV sets here be more expensive than Taiwan by ~40% (RM 650 vs RM1050/998)? Is it Mal/Sg JCV maps harder to make and cost more money to buy. If yes, than the maps should cost more and not the GPS unit isn't it?

- When asked about all these questions none of the 'Local Agents' replied. If you want all the questions compiled together I can find time to do it for you. Do you want it?

Thank you for highlighting these issues.... looking forward to your prompt reply soon... cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

ss173b

Postby ss173b » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:02 pm

moeyhc wrote:More Newbie questions:-

- I bought a 205W Taiwan with JCV and Garmin cheated me by locking the Mal/Sg JCV. Do you think it is correct to do this after a customer has bought the unit thinking that the feature will be there?

In my personal opinion, you should take your case to consumer tribunal and ask them to replace a 205w Taiwan with 205w SING/MAL version. Anyway, 205w SING/MAL also do not have junction view now.

moeyhc wrote:- Why must JCV sets here be more expensive than Taiwan by ~40% (RM 650 vs RM1050/998)? Is it Mal/Sg JCV maps harder to make and cost more money to buy. If yes, than the maps should cost more and not the GPS unit isn't it?

Not really, nuvi 205w SING/MAL is now only RM699.

moeyhc wrote:- When asked about all these questions none of the 'Local Agents' replied. If you want all the questions compiled together I can find time to do it for you. Do you want it?

Issues pertaining to local pricing in Malaysia should be address to marketing.asia@garmin.com (I believe a pricing mechanism is oladi in place).

antyong (retired)
Site Admin (retired)

Postby antyong (retired) » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 pm

First, you have to make clear to everyone that you are representing Allbright, a local Garmin distributor.

ss173b wrote:
moeyhc wrote:More Newbie questions:-

In my personal opinion, you should take your case to consumer tribunal and ask them to replace a 205w Taiwan with 205w SING/MAL version. Anyway, 205w SING/MAL also do not have junction view now.

Taking you guys to a consumer tribunal is the buyer's personal decision. Highlighting to the public Garmin's practice is to our community's interest.

ss173b wrote:
moeyhc wrote:- Why must JCV sets here be more expensive than Taiwan by ~40% (RM 650 vs RM1050/998)? Is it Mal/Sg JCV maps harder to make and cost more money to buy. If yes, than the maps should cost more and not the GPS unit isn't it?

Nuvi 205W was RM1,200 in Aug 2008, RM1000 in Mar 2009 and RM699 NOW when it is already obsolete. Explain to me how production and other costs could drop so fast that Garmin could reduce price by almost half in less than a year and why is it such coincidence that your lowest price now is what Taiwan was selling way back in time.

ss173b wrote:
moeyhc wrote:- When asked about all these questions none of the 'Local Agents' replied. If you want all the questions compiled together I can find time to do it for you. Do you want it?

Issues pertaining to local pricing in Malaysia should be address to marketing.asia@garmin.com (I believe a pricing mechanism is oladi in place).

Don't push the buck to Taiwan. You are part of the Garmin distributor network. If you want to be transparent, answer the questions here in front of the public. Otherwise, you are welcome to keep quiet O:)

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:34 pm

I mentioned JCV set... the local 205W does not have JCV and is still more expensive than the JCV Taiwan 205W.

I'll do that and also see if they'll honor the JCV Taiwan 205W contract...

Thanks for the pointers... cheers!

johnTan
Valued Contributor

Postby johnTan » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:40 pm

ss173b wrote:Quote Update:

I have received a attractive quote for the Car-Window-Road-Sign-Hanger. The price is estimated at around RM2.50 per piece (excluding postage). So, pls make your booking fast and get your friends to book too.

Cheers, Kelvin.

From other thread found that "ss173b" is kelvin,
but the above "ss173b" post don't have "Cheers, Kelvin"
Just curious is this "kelvin" from
AllBright Technology Sdn Bhd
Kelvin Chua ?

moeyhc
Valued Contributor

Postby moeyhc » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Missed out on the first point.

I bought my JCV Taiwan 205W in Taiwan... Do you want me to fly to Taiwan to lodge a complaint with Garmin Taiwan or the consumer Tribunal there? Come on be realistic. GPS is used World wide and if the Local representative cannot service its issue irrespective from where it was bought than what is the role of having local agents... just to make money and past the dirty work back to the principle?

Thanks for replying.... cheers!

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:46 pm

moeyhc wrote:Missed out on the first point.

I bought my JCV Taiwan 205W in Taiwan... Do you want me to fly to Taiwan to lodge a complaint with Garmin Taiwan or the consumer Tribunal there? Come on be realistic. GPS is used World wide and if the Local representative cannot service its issue irrespective from where it was bought than what is the role of having local agents... just to make money and past the dirty work back to the principle?

Thanks for replying.... cheers!

perhaps they should learn from nokia.. no local warranty.. LOL.. if you buy ur set from overseas, and need repairs/service, jst pay for parts & labour lo..
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

Return to “General GPS Forum”