DIY sunshade for GPS mounted on dashboard or windscreen.

Share general news, ideas and discussions about GPS and GPS navigation

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. Remain on topic. Discuss general GPS and GPS navigation topics only
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
woofzgps

Re: DIY sunshade for GPS mounted on dashboard or windscreen.

Postby woofzgps » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:47 pm

simonysc

Postby simonysc » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:10 pm

The main purpose of the shade is to shield the reflected light from the sun and to protect the gps from direct heat. So it doesn't matter how it's design as long as it serve it's purpose. I'll elaborate a few points of consideration in designing the shade. Please advise if any of the brother or sister here got better suggestion. More brains is better than one.
1) MATERIAL
Material used must be lightweight, sturdy, heat-resistant, non-reflective, easily available and not expensive. So I used mounting board which have all of the requirement. Shoebox cardboard can be use, easy to work on too, but it's too filmsy (not sturdy) and won't last long. Plastic cannot be use because it will warp (like the cuttlefish) when exposed to heat. Chloroplast (hollow plastic sheet used for making signboard) is light but too thick. Thinnest available is about 3mm. The end product will be very bulky and won't look neat on the dashboard.

2) Ease OF Use
The design of how to mount the shade onto the unit and hold in place is another factor. So the maximum time needed to mount or remove the shade will be set to <2secs with minimal effort (with one hand). Imagine everytime you mount the gps and it takes you 1-2 mins to fix the shade, you'll get bored and make do without it in no time. So the best is the slot in design without using velcro tape, double sided tape or ties that takes time to fix or remove. The one I design for the 7XX takes only 1 sec to mount or remove. For the 3XX takes about 2 secs because of the flip-up antenna. Other design for other models can be made too provided I have the gps unit with the mounting cradle attached to take the measurement and put on the thinking cap.

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:42 pm

You guys are so creative =D> =D> =D>

fancheng
Senior Mapper

Postby fancheng » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 am

Hi All,

I have drew a sample for Nuvi 4.3" and save in pdf format so anybody who's interest can print out (A4 side cardboard) to DIY. O:)
P/S My printer run out of toner, so I have not test yet. :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:28 am

:good: bro fancheng!
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

kchow24
Location: Shah Alam. Garmin nuvi200W(sold), nuvi710, nuvi765 & GPSmap 60CSx, Garmin-Asus G60, Zumo550

Postby kchow24 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:56 am

Dear All Masters....
Is getting more and more interesting now.. =P~
I think someone out there is going to loose their business soon.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You guys are really great.... :peace: :champ:
Regards,
kchow24

255w
Contributor

Postby 255w » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:25 am

Saw these selling @ Amazon

Sun Shade Anti Glare Shield Visor for Garmin Nuvi
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

simonysc

Postby simonysc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:28 pm

fancheng wrote:Hi All,

I have drew a sample for Nuvi 4.3" and save in pdf format so anybody who's interest can print out (A4 side cardboard) to DIY. O:)
P/S My printer run out of toner, so I have not test yet. :mrgreen:

Great, bro fancheng. I don't know how to draw with pc. Can I just draw on a piece of paper then scan it and upload here. I too like to share my design.

9W2CBL
Polygon Mapper

Postby 9W2CBL » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:30 pm

Yes You can! why not! use hand also can, so long that the dimension and details is layout properly.

Cheers!
Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius
The avatar is design by Bro. Sulphur - Thanks!
Owned - nuvi200 (US Version), nuvi255W (TWN -> SGMY -> US -> TWN), Last MobileXT V5.00.60

fancheng
Senior Mapper

Postby fancheng » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:03 pm

updated version :mrgreen:

Return to “General GPS Forum”