Newbie Need Help with 42LM

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
abrahman67

Newbie Need Help with 42LM

Postby abrahman67 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:44 am

Good day all,

I bought my Nuvi 42LM in Australia. Registered it. How can I use it in Malaysia without effecting warranty and all the features.
When I registered it and try to upgrade I can only see Australia and New Zealand. How can I choose other region Map so that I can use it both. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks In advance
ab

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Newbie Need Help with 42LM

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:50 am

abrahman67 wrote:Good day all,

I bought my Nuvi 42LM in Australia. Registered it. How can I use it in Malaysia without effecting warranty and all the features.
When I registered it and try to upgrade I can only see Australia and New Zealand. How can I choose other region Map so that I can use it both. Any help is very much appreciated.

Thanks In advance
ab

Unless specifically stated, Garmin Hardware warranty is worldwide.

Preloaded maps is region based where you bought hardware so unless if other region of your interest has community maps like ours, you will need to purchase other region commercial maps.

abrahman67

Postby abrahman67 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:16 pm

Hi silverbeauty,

Thanks for the reply. It possible to change to preloaded Malaysia map and overwrite Australian map
and change the serial number to Malaysia? When I connect the unit it will automatically detect the serial number
in Australia.

Ab

vash_h

Postby vash_h » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:06 pm

nope. it cannot be done. sorry.

to use maps you can download the malfreemap from the download section here (viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8442). you can only use the map for cgpsmapper. it will not contain junction view as it is only for malaysia/singapore region units.
<-My Blog: HaroldChia.com->
<-MFM MAPS + Garmin Nuvi 50LM + Papago Z1 + Garmin Nuvi 205w + Samsung Galaxy Note 2 N7100 ->

abrahman67

Postby abrahman67 » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:11 pm

I manage to install the map using MFM-Garmin 131118 and transfer it using mapsource following the instruction. I notice that I can see the POI icons while browsing and viewing the map but I can't see it during navigation.

I also manage to install the map using Malfreemaps 2013.30 using SD by putting gmapsupp.img and .jvc. but when junction view is activated while navigation I can only see blank screen with the message Junction View is not supported please contact garmin.

I did open another thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14465 asking about the different between Malfreemaps 2013.30 and MFM-Garmin 131118.

Thanks

tympg
Senior Mapper

Postby tympg » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:34 am

abrahman67 wrote:I manage to install the map using MFM-Garmin 131118 and transfer it using mapsource following the instruction. I notice that I can see the POI icons while browsing and viewing the map but I can't see it during navigation.

Correct, the newer Nuvis do not display POIs during navigation unless you zoom down to 80m scale. This is a safety feature by Garmin to discourage you from staring at the GPS unit instead of paying attention to the road in front of you. Also, our cGPSmapper compiler (3rd party) unfortunately does not support the display of custom icons in the newer Nuvis.

abrahman67 wrote:I also manage to install the map using Malfreemaps 2013.30 using SD by putting gmapsupp.img and .jvc. but when junction view is activated while navigation I can only see blank screen with the message Junction View is not supported please contact garmin.

As mentioned by bro vash_h above, your Australian unit cannot see the Junction View in the Malaysia/Singapore maps (regardless if Malfreemaps or others). This is intentional by Garmin Asia, to "encourage" you to buy a local unit.

abrahman67 wrote:I did open another thread viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14465 asking about the different between Malfreemaps 2013.30 and MFM-Garmin 131118.

I have merged your thread with an earlier thread asking the same thing.
Garmin nüvi 2575R; Garmin eTrex Vista HCx; Android 5.0.1 Phone

cheongeugene

Postby cheongeugene » Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:15 am

viewtopic.php?p=191536#p191536

Hi all,

I made a post on the last thread but the thread was lock.
Thank you Jason for replying message. But my problem lies with the unit itself not the SD card. I tried to load 131202 into my nuvi 42lm but the unit can't read the map. But if I load it onto the SD card, my nuvi can use the map. Is there anyway that I can use the map without the SD card?

Thank you.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:11 pm

cheongeugene wrote:viewtopic.php?p=191536#p191536

Hi all,

I made a post on the last thread but the thread was lock.
Thank you Jason for replying message. But my problem lies with the unit itself not the SD card. I tried to load 131202 into my nuvi 42lm but the unit can't read the map. But if I load it onto the SD card, my nuvi can use the map. Is there anyway that I can use the map without the SD card?

Thank you.

Without the benefit of seeing your device, I cannot tell if it is a hardware or SD card problem so you better bring the device to the distributor to verify what is really wrong with it.

My feeling is there is nothing wrong with either - it is just and operational problem but I am just guessing.
Lean not on your own understanding

Return to “Newbie Lounge”