Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
dvpro

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby dvpro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:33 pm

dankailo wrote:What is bricking?. Hang!

It means, if unsuccessful in updating, Nuvi will be successfully turned into an expensive paper weight. :mrgreen:
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:20 pm

mcmc wrote:thomashley,

Can you do a search for *.gpi file in all folders on your device. Maybe it is hidden somewhere else.

hey all,

this is what i've tried, renaming the extension for files gmapprom.img and gmapprom1.mg to gmapprom.bkp and gmmapprom1.bkp respectively and yes by doing this both MSM map and City Navigator (Garmin pre-loaded map) "dissapeared" from the device. :D

gmapprom.img is City Navigator map.

However :( the MSM Traffic POIs (e.g. speed trap etc) still remains. came up when i did a simulation and also show up in the customised POIs feature.

](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

btw, to answer mcmc's question: there's no other hidden *.gpi files even with the "hidden files" feature disabled.

looks like i have to live with it then.

thanks all, appreciate all your help
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:34 pm

thomashley wrote:...
btw, to answer mcmc's question: there's no other hidden *.gpi files even with the "hidden files" feature disabled.

Do you have a data card inserted in Nuvi? If yes, maybe it comes with GPI files in \Garmin\Poi folder.

AW*
Valued Contributor

Postby AW* » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:00 am

dvpro wrote:
thomashley wrote:...

Do you have a data card inserted in Nuvi? If yes, maybe it comes with GPI files in \Garmin\Poi folder.

i don't have any data card. the maps were preloaded directly into my nuvi although for my friend, they preload the msm map onto a sd which they throw in for free for him. he bought the 60CSx. no such freebie luck for me though. :cry:

hmm, i guess i can live with small irritating annoyance as long as the map i use is accurate, timely and updated :peace:
:tq:
" The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Ghandi
" In matters of conscience, the law of majority has no place." - Mahatma Ghandi

255W,1460, 2465 & 2465LM

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:52 am

Bro thomashley, you can "disable" the alert via TOOLS - SETTINGS - PROXIMITY POINTS - PROXIMITY ALERTS - uncheck the CUSTOM POIs. The Nuvi will route with voice navigation but minus all the alerts :thumbsup:

dankailo

Postby dankailo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:10 pm

dvpro wrote:
dankailo wrote:What is bricking?. Hang!

It means, if unsuccessful in updating, Nuvi will be successfully turned into an expensive paper weight. :mrgreen:

Thanks. I do not want a paper weight. Had to leard from all the sifu out there lol!!!!!

fooz

Postby fooz » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:50 pm

my GPS signal keep having a cross on the top left..
and it states "GPS is off "....

noob question:
how do i turn the GPS "on'"?

dvpro

Postby dvpro » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:28 pm

fooz wrote:my GPS signal keep having a cross on the top left..

noob question:

Tools > Settings > System. Depending on firmware, either turn off simulation mode or turn on GPS.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:31 pm

dvpro wrote:
fooz wrote:my GPS signal keep having a cross on the top left..

noob question:

Tools > Settings > System. Depending on firmware, either turn off simulation mode or turn on GPS.

Bro fooz, a word to add, if your Nuvi is of the older 3x0 or 6x0 series, you need to flip up the antenna at rear of unit as with antenna folder, it auto puts the Nuvi in simulation mode.

dankailo

Postby dankailo » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi All the best Sifu,

I just copy the SD (garmin folder + Reports folder + autorun.inf) of my friend 205W into my computer. Can I copied it into my SD card and run it in 255W.

Pls advice .

Thanks a lot. ](*,) :-? :-?

Return to “Newbie Lounge”