Tips for first time Nuvi users

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
spunky2009

Re: Tips for first time Nuvi users

Postby spunky2009 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:24 pm

Hi everyone. First time and a proud owner of a new Garmin Nuvi 765. Had been using PDA and handphones with Garmin XP all these while. Don't know what or why but suddenly decided to take the plunge and sacrifice a BIG hole in my pocket for this 765.
No regrets as I find that this truly dedicated Garmin is worth every cent paid! And thanks to our sifu here for highlighting all the press here and there functions which I had not known all this while. \:D/

buxxthrill

Postby buxxthrill » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 am

Hi all, i just got my Nuvi 205W and am currently using the MFM Map, I believe the latest version...everything seems to be working perfectly well...just one strange thing, im staying at Bandar Utama, it could not search for my address...when i drive along the road, the "Jalan" name appears in it...but when i keyed in for example "Jalan BU 6/2", it could not locate the address...any tips of finding the jalan name at Bandar Utama...thanks guys!

acuka

Postby acuka » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:11 pm

Newbie here even though have used GPS on i780 before (until motherboard burnt, luckily under warranty) O:) After that got the 205 and on this forum introduced by my Lelong seller to update map (after I was asked to turn off the Duke highway due to outdated map!)

Everything working fine after some trial and error for a few hours (at home, not MU fan). Just curious, is there any Malay language option (for the makcik at back's benefit).

Definitely a very useful forum this, TQ sifus :peace: . Will learn how to track and contribute later.

:tq: :good: :champ:

:rox:

zamad
Valued Contributor

Postby zamad » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:28 pm

acuka wrote:.. [snip].. Just curious, is there any Malay language option (for the makcik at back's benefit).
There's a thread here about the voice in BM. Read through the forum, and see if is what you want/need. :)
mfm : magnificent free maps
Garmin nüvi 2575RLM v2.80, Garmin 60CSx v4.00, Garmin nüvi 205W(patched), Papago R5800 X8.5, Qstarz Q1000P (Datalogger)
Retired: GMXT Palm T|X, nuvifone A10 v5.0.77, Garmin-Asus G60 v2.43, GPSlim236 (Datalogger)

ranchu

Postby ranchu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:01 am

Hi all gurus,
I am first time GPS user, living in sg, but now working in US.
Today I just bought my first nuvi-255W ... very excited but yet blur like F.

After intensive readup of all posts, I've decided to test run and install sg maps.

In my nuvi internal memory
>gmapprom.img

In my SD card\Garmin folder
>gmapsupp.img

Whenever I turn on my nuvi, it kept showing me US map only... isit becos I am in US now, it kinda of Auto-Navigate??
Even I disabled the North America map under settings\maps\info ... reboot.. still US map.

My purpose is to just check out whether the sg map in my SD card is loadable anot...
Please Helpppppp.... Thanks :)

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:17 am

ranchu wrote:Hi all gurus,
I am first time GPS user, living in sg, but now working in US.
Today I just bought my first nuvi-255W ... very excited but yet blur like F.

After intensive readup of all posts, I've decided to test run and install sg maps.

>gmapprom.img

In my SD card\Garmin folder
>gmapsupp.img

Whenever I turn on my nuvi, it kept showing me US map only... isit becos I am in US now, it kinda of Auto-Navigate??
Even I disabled the North America map under settings\maps\info ... reboot.. still US map.

My purpose is to just check out whether the sg map in my SD card is loadable anot...
Please Helpppppp.... Thanks :)

Bro ranchu, you have to manually select Singapore in order to see the map tiles.

Touch the map screen once, and use your finger to manually move to Singapore and zoom in.

ranchu

Postby ranchu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:35 am

Bro ranchu, you have to manually select Singapore in order to see the map tiles.

Touch the map screen once, and use your finger to manually move to Singapore and zoom in.

oh yes, i can see sg map ... I hope it will work, will test it out as soon as I return to sg.
One more Q ... Can I copy sg map gmapsupp.img into internal memory? without deleting gmapprom.img...

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:38 am

ranchu wrote:Bro ranchu, you have to manually select Singapore in order to see the map tiles.

oh yes, i can see sg map ... I hope it will work, will test it out as soon as I return to sg.
One more Q ... Can I copy sg map gmapsupp.img into internal memory? without deleting gmapprom.img...

Yes, but backup all contents of your Nuvi before you so :-'

Make sure that there is NOT another file gmapsupp.img in your Nuvi main memory as once over-ridden, no recourse for getting the file back.

ranchu

Postby ranchu » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:47 pm

I have just arrived sg from US... immediately turn on my Nuvi255W ... and for next 30mins or so.. I am stupidly standing in open ground.

My nuvi kept prompting.. ''Searching for satelites ... "
Can anyone tell me what is wrong? I bought my set in US and this is what inside my internal memory

>gmapprom.img (North US map ~ 1.2Gb)
>gmapsupp.img (Sg maps ~ 50mb)

waypoint
Valued Contributor

Postby waypoint » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:45 am

I'm sure it's been sorted out now?

If you have travelled more than 300-km since the gps was last turned on, it WILL take a little bit more time to get that initial lock. Once it does so, leave it on for at least 20-mins to make sure the almanac from the satellites are downloaded into the unit for the current geographic location; valid for the next 12 to 18-hours or so. After this initial process, getting a lock again should take less than 3-mins even if you are on the move. \:D/

BR,
w a y

ranchu wrote:I have just arrived sg from US... immediately turn on my Nuvi255W ... and for next 30mins or so.. I am stupidly standing in open ground.

My nuvi kept prompting.. ''Searching for satelites ... "
Can anyone tell me what is wrong? I bought my set in US and this is what inside my internal memory

>gmapprom.img (North US map ~ 1.2Gb)
>gmapsupp.img (Sg maps ~ 50mb)
http://twitter.com/waypoint12xl
"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
"I honestly don't care if you think I'm crazy. You're probably just a figment of my imagination anyway." - Unknown

Return to “Newbie Lounge”