How to delete unwanted maps in gps memory?

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
huankee

How to delete unwanted maps in gps memory?

Postby huankee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:31 pm

I am a newbie to gps and have an nuvi 1460. When I tried to update my 2010 Malaysia/Singapore maps on the Garmin Singapore website, it says that I do not have enough disk space. The 2GB built-in memory currently has only about 100MB left. I inserted a 1GB micro SD card into my gps but it still says that I do not have enough disk space. How do I delete the unwanted maps in my 2GB built-in gps memory to create more disk space to update my maps?? Appreciate if someone is kind enough to enlighten me on this.

Regards,
HK Chan

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: How to delete unwanted maps in gps memory?

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:35 pm

huankee wrote:I am a newbie to gps and have an nuvi 1460. When I tried to update my 2010 Malaysia/Singapore maps on the Garmin Singapore website, it says that I do not have enough disk space. The 2GB built-in memory currently has only about 100MB left. I inserted a 1GB micro SD card into my gps but it still says that I do not have enough disk space. How do I delete the unwanted maps in my 2GB built-in gps memory to create more disk space to update my maps?? Appreciate if someone is kind enough to enlighten me on this.

Regards,
HK Chan

Preloaded maps are stored in main memory/system. By default this directory is hidden. You will need to set windows to display hidden files to see the contents.

It is prudent to backup all contents in main memory, inclusive of hidden files before you attempt any updates.

The preloaded files are gmapprom and gmapprom1 respectively.

huankee

Postby huankee » Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:58 pm

How do I set Windows to display hidden files so that I can delete unwanted maps? Are the names of the countries stated in the hidden files? Can I delete one country or zone at a time? Appreciate your step by step instruction on how to get this done.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
HK Chan

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:43 pm

huankee wrote:How do I set Windows to display hidden files so that I can delete unwanted maps? Are the names of the countries stated in the hidden files? Can I delete one country or zone at a time? Appreciate your step by step instruction on how to get this done.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
HK Chan

To show hidden files, you have to set file properties in Windows to display hidden files. For example in Win7, run explorer, on organizer tab, select folder and then in folder look for show hidden files and select it.

Preloaded Files in system directory are usually gmapbmap.img ( base map ), gmapprom.img ( Garmin NT Map ) and gmapprom1.img ( MSM NT Map )

huankee

Postby huankee » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:50 am

I could not find the organizer tab when I launched internet explorer. Is there a shop in Penang that will show me how to delete, add or update maps in my gps for a reasonable fee? Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
HK Chan

silverbeauty

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:24 am

huankee wrote:I could not find the organizer tab when I launched internet explorer. Is there a shop in Penang that will show me how to delete, add or update maps in my gps for a reasonable fee? Please advise. Thank you.

Regards,
HK Chan

Alamak, brother huankee, I am not talking about Internet Explorer. I am talking about WINDOWS EXPLORER, the windows application used for browsing files in your hard-disk, floppy, SD, external devices etc....

See attached picture. This is with reference to Windows 7. If you use OS lower than Windows7, then it may show differently but the theory is similar on how to get hidden files to show.

I suggest you learn how to use basic windows features and try to get this done on your own horsepower before seeking professional help.

As an alternative, you can try PM bro MoeyHC or bro Jasonlee and see if they are free to help you over kopi :mrgreen:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:32 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have problem and really need help.... PM me.... we can have Kopi O while I try to solve your problem.... But please try out Bro SB's procedure... it will work. Do remember to backup your maps in a safe place before deleting... To back up.. :mrgreen: ... copy the maps to an external hard drive (HDD) or to a folder that will not be forgotten or deleted... Hope this helps.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

cruiser
Location: NL - Nuvi® 3790 SG/MY, 1490Tv, 775T, 650, 4980 & TTom GO 910 + 950 Live, GO 6000

Postby cruiser » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 pm

moeyhc wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have problem and really need help.... PM me.... we can have Kopi O while I try to solve your problem.... Hope this helps.

What if he is willing to finish the Happy Hour with Ipoh coffee Brudder Mooi? :mrgreen:
Image ~ Cruiser ~

musangking
Valued Contributor

Postby musangking » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:08 pm

Frankly, I don't see how Garmin would give you something that won't fit into your PND. I would think that you could have other stuff in there that should be deleted rather than the original map. I have a few units of the 1460 and it doesn't complain of a lack of memory. I would advise you to re-look the process or go back to your reseller to find out more.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:02 pm

cruiser wrote:
moeyhc wrote::lol: :lol: :lol:

If you have problem and really need help.... PM me.... we can have Kopi O while I try to solve your problem.... Hope this helps.

What if he is willing to finish the Happy Hour with Ipoh coffee Brudder Mooi? :mrgreen:

No chance. We are in Penang. We have Kopi O and the best Assam Lakes in the World. Why bother with Ipoh Kopi... :D
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Return to “Newbie Lounge”