Viewing Malfreemaps in Windows PC

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
zerko

Viewing Malfreemaps in Windows PC

Postby zerko » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:05 pm

Other than using Mapsource, is there any other Windows PC compatible to view Malfreemaps ?
Prevously (inthe old days :-)) I used Mapking PC version to preplan my trip from the PC but there is no longer any update for Mapking PC version :-(

Please recommend a Windows PC software to "preplan" a trip. I don't like Mapsource as the maps don't look good on PC.
Appreciate your assistance....

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Viewing Malfreemaps in Windows PC

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:45 pm

zerko wrote:Other than using Mapsource, is there any other Windows PC compatible to view Malfreemaps ?
Prevously (inthe old days :-)) I used Mapking PC version to preplan my trip from the PC but there is no longer any update for Mapking PC version :-(

Please recommend a Windows PC software to "preplan" a trip. I don't like Mapsource as the maps don't look good on PC.

As to my knowledge, MFM never made one available for MapKing.

Your best bet is still to use Garmin Mapsource or its replacement Garmin BaseCamp

Rona D'sara
Contributor

Postby Rona D'sara » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:05 am

silverbeauty wrote:
zerko wrote:Other than using Mapsource, is there any other Windows PC compatible to view Malfreemaps ?

As to my knowledge, MFM never made one available for MapKing.

Your best bet is still to use Garmin Mapsource or its replacement Garmin BaseCamp

Since I joint MFM I have installed the Garmin Mapsource to my personel PC and office PC it is easier for me to locate or search any road name before I travel to attend customer's complaint. The maps also can always be updated to the latest maps instead of using others ie. Google maps where the maps is not updated for few years.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:49 am

Programs that allow you to view Gmapsupp.img map files on a Windows PS are as follow:-

1) nRoute
2) Garmin Mobile PC
3) Mapsource
4) Basecamp

Do a Google search to find it... If you really need help join us at the NPM GG and we will try our level best to help.... :D

Hope this helps... Cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

zerko

Postby zerko » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 pm

moeyhc wrote:Programs that allow you to view Gmapsupp.img map files on a Windows PS are as follow:-

1) nRoute
2) Garmin Mobile PC
3) Mapsource
4) Basecamp

Do a Google search to find it... If you really need help join us at the NPM GG and we will try our level best to help.... :D

Thanks... In the "old days" I used the Mapking Maps PC version from Malsingmaps. It has not been updated since 2010 :-(
I liked the Mapking PC interface as it is easier to view, quick and simple.
Thanks for pointing out the 4 options above. Last question -
Which is easier/nicer to view (many years ago I tried Mapsource and not only was the program slow the roads were thin lines) ? (will save me time from installing all)
Thanks again.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:23 pm

zerko wrote:
moeyhc wrote:Programs that allow you to view Gmapsupp.img map files on a Windows PS are as follow:-

1) nRoute
2) Garmin Mobile PC
3) Mapsource
4) Basecamp

Thanks... In the "old days" I used the Mapking Maps PC version from Malsingmaps. It has not been updated since 2010 :-(
Which is easier/nicer to view (many years ago I tried Mapsource and not only was the program slow the roads were thin lines) ? (will save me time from installing all)
Thanks again.

Your question is hard to answer. Attend the GG and you may see various options installed in other people's PC to gauge your level of competency in a particular software / graphics taste etc... there is a saying ... one man's food is another's poison

I myself is a mapsource / basecamp user and I find nothing slow or graphics display that is negative to me.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I still find Mapsource the most friendly and FAST... your PC needs some upgrading... but, it won't display gmapsupp.img file without some work.... actually a lot of work... :mrgreen:

To view image (img) files... Garmin Mobile PC is the easiest....

hmmm.... time for me to try Basecamp... hope bro SB will show me how... Beer on me!

Hope this helps.
Common Sense Is Not Common.

zerko

Postby zerko » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:14 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
zerko wrote:

1) nRoute
2) Garmin Mobile PC
3) Mapsource
4) Basecamp

Thanks again.

Your question is hard to answer. Attend the GG and you may see various options installed in other people's PC to gauge your level of competency in a particular software / graphics taste etc... there is a saying ... one man's food is another's poison

I myself is a mapsource / basecamp user and I find nothing slow or graphics display that is negative to me.

I would love to join the GG but I am based in KL (penang guy but working in KL). Thanks for your feedback.

chinwy
Regional Mapper

Postby chinwy » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:19 am

It is not that difficult to get .img files to display in mapsource. I make use of 2 programs. You only need to know what you are doing. Need a bit of effort to read up and try out. Most important not faint hart as you may need to fix your registry if mapsource gets corrupted. The rewards are you get to display asian OSA mps on mapsource and if you get a licence mapedit,(for Google overlay) you will be able to fill in the gaps and get a good working map to places where none have been!

Return to “Newbie Lounge”