Uploading maps from old pc to new pc

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
greyclouser

Uploading maps from old pc to new pc

Postby greyclouser » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:10 am

Dear friends,

I would appreciate if someone could kindly help me on this issue. I've been accessing my maps using Mapsource on my old pc for 6 to 7 years and had recently bought a new pc. The old pc is running on windows xp & new pc on window8. I installed Mapsource on my new pc & tested it to be working normal, then followed by the various road maps from this website & it too work alright. After which I installed BlueChart Pacific v7.0 (marine charts of this region) using the disk I bought from Garmin (many years ago for use on my old pc), unlock it with the unlock code as provided during the purchase and this charts work alright too. There are a few more functioning marine charts in my old pc that I wish to transfer to my new pc, namely the Bluechart Pacific v2008.5 & Bluechart Atlantic v2008.5, which I still have their unlocked codes recorded in my hand written note book but could not locate the 2 disks for these charts after searching high & low through all my storage lockers & boxes... sigh... just don't know where I had kept them or I may have loss them when I shifted years back! I then tried copying all the maps of ".img" format from these 2 marine charts folders that were in my old pc's C drive Garmin folder to my new pc's C drive Garmin folder using a thumb drive, hoping that it will work fine like those I installed earlier. But as expected, I could not even sight these charts on the top left corner box of the mapsource page where one selects which map or chart to view and work on. My knowledge of how these software operates is very very limited :ko: :ko: and I hope someone will kindly guide me along.

My thanks in advance.
Grey

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Re: Uploading maps from old pc to new pc

Postby moeyhc » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:07 am

Installed Maps in Mapsource have to to be registered in the Windows registry before Mapsource can display them. You have to copy the whole directory of the Bluechart Pacific v2008.5 & Bluechart Atlantic v2008.5 over and goes to the Win8 registry to manually enter it into the Garmin Software section (if Win8 is the same as Win7). I don't use Win8 and have zero knowledge on Win8 registry entry... hope someone here can help.

Note: Do not attempt Win Registry edit if you do not know what you are doing. It can brick your PC.

Cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

JasonLee
Regional Mapper
Location: Penang (Magellan Meridian Color & Garmin Nuvi 1460, 2465, 2575R, 3560 & Etrex 30)

Postby JasonLee » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:52 am

greyclouser wrote:Dear friends,

I would appreciate if someone could kindly help me on this issue. I've been accessing my maps using Mapsource on my old pc for 6 to 7 years and had recently bought a new pc. The old pc is running on windows xp & new pc on window8. I installed Mapsource on my new pc & tested it to be working normal, then followed by the various road maps from this website & it too work alright. After which I installed BlueChart Pacific v7.0 (marine charts of this region) using the disk I bought from Garmin (many years ago for use on my old pc), unlock it with the unlock code as provided during the purchase and this charts work alright too. There are a few more functioning marine charts in my old pc that I wish to transfer to my new pc, namely the Bluechart Pacific v2008.5 & Bluechart Atlantic v2008.5, which I still have their unlocked codes recorded in my hand written note book but could not locate the 2 disks for these charts after searching high & low through all my storage lockers & boxes... sigh... just don't know where I had kept them or I may have loss them when I shifted years back! I then tried copying all the maps of ".img" format from these 2 marine charts folders that were in my old pc's C drive Garmin folder to my new pc's C drive Garmin folder using a thumb drive, hoping that it will work fine like those I installed earlier. But as expected, I could not even sight these charts on the top left corner box of the mapsource page where one selects which map or chart to view and work on. My knowledge of how these software operates is very very limited :ko: :ko: and I hope someone will kindly guide me along.

My thanks in advance.
Grey

Dear Bro Grey,

Where are you from?

There are websites from which you can download the latest Blue Charts but I cannot disclose them in this Forum. Google is your best friend. All is not lost. With fresh downloads, you can start over. Only things you need to transfer over from your old PC is if you have tracklogs or waypoints you have recorded yourself.
Lean not on your own understanding

greyclouser

Postby greyclouser » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:56 pm

Dear bro Moeyhc & Jason Lee,

Thanks for replying to my post. Regret I didn't reply any earlier b'cos I was out at sea over the weekend. I will check with my office IT contractor, FirstTel technicians to see if they are able to help me with the registry solution you recommended.

Please feel free to PM me if posting info here can be deemed contradicting to the forum procedures & regs. Fyi, I'm located in Singapore

Kind regards

Return to “Newbie Lounge”