Garmin Monterra not displaying latest map

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
ls7902

Garmin Monterra not displaying latest map

Postby ls7902 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:47 pm

Bought Garmin Monterra last Saturday but it came with an older preloaded mfm map version. The guy who sold me the unit was unable to install the latest version (MFM-Garmin 140414) into the unit. Well, I decided I could live with it until a solution is found. Today I dropped into another Garmin outlet to learn more about this situation. The salesperson, however denied that Monterra is having such a problem. The salesperson had insisted that she already sold a unit and had no problem installing version MFM-Garmin 140414. So I asked her to do it for me. She tried and tried and was not successful. Now the unit only shows the topo map and nothing else. The problem now is I don't know which older version of mfm map that had originally worked on the Monterra. Guess I'll have to wait till Monday to talk to the shop I bought the unit from. Version MFM-Garmin 140414 works just fine on my GPSmap 60CSx unit. Switching the micro SD card which contain the latest version of the map to the Monterra also produces the same result ... topo map only & nothing else. Hope somebody can help me with this. Thank you.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Garmin Monterra not displaying latest map

Postby silverbeauty » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:50 am

ls7902 wrote:Bought Garmin Monterra last Saturday but it came with an older preloaded mfm map version. The guy who sold me the unit was unable to install the latest version (MFM-Garmin 140414) into the unit. Well, I decided I could live with it until a solution is found. Today I dropped into another Garmin outlet to learn more about this situation. The salesperson, however denied that Monterra is having such a problem. The salesperson had insisted that she already sold a unit and had no problem installing version MFM-Garmin 140414. So I asked her to do it for me. She tried and tried and was not successful. Now the unit only shows the topo map and nothing else. The problem now is I don't know which older version of mfm map that had originally worked on the Monterra. Guess I'll have to wait till Monday to talk to the shop I bought the unit from. Version MFM-Garmin 140414 works just fine on my GPSmap 60CSx unit. Switching the micro SD card which contain the latest version of the map to the Monterra also produces the same result ... topo map only & nothing else. Hope somebody can help me with this. Thank you.

Please confirm that the MfM map file is installed in SD card/garmin under map file name gmapsupp.img or in SD card/map under whatever file name you want to ( original gmapsupp.img renamed for example MalFreeMap )

Check in map information setting that the MfM map shows under the menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md3zQlUbs90

Check only the map you want to use

ls7902

Postby ls7902 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:39 pm

silverbeauty wrote:
ls7902 wrote:Bought Garmin Monterra last Saturday but it came with an older preloaded mfm map version. The guy who sold me the unit was unable to install the latest version (MFM-Garmin 140414) into the unit. Well, I decided I could live with it until a solution is found. Today I dropped into another Garmin outlet to learn more about this situation. The salesperson, however denied that Monterra is having such a problem. The salesperson had insisted that she already sold a unit and had no problem installing version MFM-Garmin 140414. So I asked her to do it for me. She tried and tried and was not successful. Now the unit only shows the topo map and nothing else. The problem now is I don't know which older version of mfm map that had originally worked on the Monterra. Guess I'll have to wait till Monday to talk to the shop I bought the unit from. Version MFM-Garmin 140414 works just fine on my GPSmap 60CSx unit. Switching the micro SD card which contain the latest version of the map to the Monterra also produces the same result ... topo map only & nothing else. Hope somebody can help me with this. Thank you.

Please confirm that the MfM map file is installed in SD card/garmin under map file name gmapsupp.img or in SD card/map under whatever file name you want to ( original gmapsupp.img renamed for example MalFreeMap )

Check in map information setting that the MfM map shows under the menu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md3zQlUbs90

Check only the map you want to use

Map information setting on device (tick as ON) shows MFM-Garmin 20140414 + Topo (EM/WM). When I go to the map page the device shows my location pointer with no POI but contour lines of the hill near my neighborhood and other places. The Monterra unit as seen via BaseCamp shows the map as MFM POI 140414 which is correctly displayed on my desktop screen (although it took an unusually long time to load). BTW, MapSource could not recognize/find the device. Perhaps, not compatible?

Tried turning off the device preloaded MFM map (in the map information setting), then placed the latest mfm map on SD card which works on my GPSmap 60CSx unit. When I switched on the Monterra "loading maps" appears on the screen for a very long time until I the shut down the Monterra. I next tried turning on the preloaded map and then placed the SD card with the Malaysia map. Same result ... maps still trying to load when map page is opened. Then I tried with my other SD cards with Australian and European maps in them. No problem at all with those maps. So what kind of conclusion could I draw from this? Could it be the MFM maps? Could the problem have originated at the point of preloading the MFM maps before sales? The shop I bought the unit from already informed me that they could only make the older version of MFM maps work on the Monterra. And they did work. Only problem is I could not find a not so new restaurant near my place with the map. But I could see it on the latest mfm map from my 60CSx. I think I'd rather not have the map preloaded in the internal memory. I think I'll go back to the shop I bought the unit from and ask them to remove the preloaded MFM map from the unit. I believe Monterra came to this country without any preloaded maps anyway. So maybe they can download the older MFM maps that did work again on the SD card this time. Then wait for better news in the future. I do enjoy using the Monterra very much. Thanks for your response Silverbeauty.

ls7902

Postby ls7902 » Sat May 03, 2014 8:22 pm

Got the link to download the gmapsupp.img file from the seller. Map is back on the Monterra but without the topo. It's okay for me for the time being. I wish to know if any new owners of Monterra are having any problems installing current mfm maps to their units.

i-link

Postby i-link » Sun May 10, 2015 11:00 pm

Thinking of getting it, once the map problem solve, will confirm get it!

ls7902

Postby ls7902 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:11 am

Thought of going back to the store I bought the device from. Not necessary now. I did a factory reset that erases all data on the device including the preloaded map. Downloaded the latest mfm map to micro sd card. It works just fine. At the moment I am not going to install or activate any apps to prevent unnecessary drain on my battery. Most of these stuffs are already on my mobile phone anyway.

Return to “Newbie Lounge”