I need help to update my MFM maps on GARMIN NUVI 1490

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sohameddy

I need help to update my MFM maps on GARMIN NUVI 1490

Postby sohameddy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello.Can anyone advise me on the above?

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: I need help to update my MFM maps on GARMIN NUVI 1490

Postby silverbeauty » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:14 am

sohameddy wrote:Hello.Can anyone advise me on the above?

Download our map installer from our download section via this link :
viewtopic.php?p=123970#p123970

Run the map installer to generate a map file gmapsupp.ig

Go buy a SD card
Create a sub folder \garmin

Copy the map file gmapsupp.img into the SD card \garmin sub folder

Plug SD card into your Nuvi
Make sure you only enable one map.
Check via Tools, System, Map, Mapinfo

Enjoy and please contribute new POI and error reporting

sohameddy

Postby sohameddy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:26 am

I managed to download the MFM maps and transferred it to the SD card after converting to gmapsupp.img. Later, after inserting the SD card to my Garmin. it doesn't show Malaysia . Instead the USA maps. For your info, my Garmin is imported directly from oversea through online.
I have tried a number of times and failed to do so. I have no such issue when I update my Papago.

aikliang
Contributor

Postby aikliang » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:43 am

sohameddy wrote:I managed to download the MFM maps and transferred it to the SD card after converting to gmapsupp.img. Later, after inserting the SD card to my Garmin. it doesn't show Malaysia . Instead the USA maps. For your info, my Garmin is imported directly from oversea through online.
I have tried a number of times and failed to do so. I have no such issue when I update my Papago.

did you create a sub folder \garmin in the sd card? the gmapsupp.img must be in the \garmin sub folder for the PND to read..
It is not the mountain that we conquer but ourselves - Edmund Hilary

sohameddy

Postby sohameddy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:54 am

Yes,I did. Folder name is Garmin and there is only one file inside the Garmin folder which is in the SD card which is labelled as gmapsupp.img.
I studied the original Garmin folder which was dated 2011... wherein is only a file named gmapsupp.img.

sohameddy

Postby sohameddy » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:50 pm

I think something wen wrong somewhere. My question was on Garmin but answer was on game rs.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:45 am

sohameddy wrote:Yes,I did. Folder name is Garmin and there is only one file inside the Garmin folder which is in the SD card which is labelled as gmapsupp.img.
I studied the original Garmin folder which was dated 2011... wherein is only a file named gmapsupp.img.

Did you bring your GPS outside to get GPS signal lock? :-'

ace
Valued Contributor

Postby ace » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:49 am

sohameddy wrote:I managed to download the MFM maps and transferred it to the SD card after converting to gmapsupp.img. Later, after inserting the SD card to my Garmin. it doesn't show Malaysia . Instead the USA maps. For your info, my Garmin is imported directly from oversea through online.

I think this is where you might have gone wrong if I read it correctly.

You said you download & then convert & transfer...(question: Why do you need to convert?)

If you read the instruction from Silverbeauty...

The steps is:
1. Download
2. Run the installer to install.
3. The installer will ask you if you want to generate the gmapsupp file. (no conversion needed)
4. After generating (with the correct option) the installer will ask you if you want to transfer to your device., which I will normally say No (I prefer to use explorer to transfer the file to the device).
4. Assuming you did step 4, you would then use Windows Explorer to transfer the gmapsupp.img file to the SD card directory :\Garmin or if your device can use the :\Map directory put it in the Map directory and rename it MSM vx.xx.img (x.xx refer to the verison of the map)
5. Test run.. Go outside and face the blue sky...Power on, and see if it works.

sohameddy

Postby sohameddy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:33 am

My meaning of convert is generate.

moeyhc
Valued Contributor
Location: Penang - Nuvi 300, 205W, 2575RLM, M1200, M1000B/C, Papago N1

Postby moeyhc » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:17 am

Did you place the gmasupp.img in the SD card map folder? Let us know where you place it in your SD card. Guys here should be able to help... Cheers!
Common Sense Is Not Common.

Return to “Newbie Lounge”