Troubleshooting a nuvi 255w

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
gpsnerd
Contributor

Troubleshooting a nuvi 255w

Postby gpsnerd » Thu May 23, 2019 5:27 pm

bought a used 255w, loaded mfm map via sd slot.

sometimes prominent landmarks search outcome is NO RESULTS.
sometimes screen hang while searching

try to connect via usb, when i try to view garmin folder, it exits.

tried with this few times, sometimes after tap on YES to reset user data. it hangs and i need to force reboot the device
reset your unit just hold your finger in the bottom right corner while powering the unit on. You will get a prompt to erase all user data

..............................................................................................................

hard reset method from the internet.. do i really need to open up and disconnect battery?
http://www.fixya.com/support/r4580832-g ... hard_reset

Perform the Hard Reset:

*Note that this will clear all user selected settings on the unit

Power the unit off.
Remove the battery and wait several minutes.
Install the battery.
Press and hold (and continue to hold) the bottom-right corner of the screen while powering the unit on.
Continue to hold the screen until the "Do you want to erase all user data?" prompt appears.
Press "yes" and the unit will reboot. This resets all your location settings and user preferences.

If possible after the hard reset, let the unit sit outdoors in the open for about 30 minutes or so to let the unit re-acquire the satellite almanac data.

You have now performed a hard reset of your Garmin Nuvi 255W GPS unit.
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

gpsnerd
Contributor

Re: Troubleshooting a nuvi 255w

Postby gpsnerd » Thu May 23, 2019 5:39 pm

this hard reset didn't work for me :thumbsdown:

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how- ... garmin-gps

Hard Reset
Step
Slide the "Power" switch to "Off."

Step
Place your finger on the upper-right corner of the Garmin's display screen. Keep your finger firmly pressed down while you slide the "Power" switch to "On."

Step
Release your finger from the display screen when the reset pop-up window appears. Tap the "Yes" button to confirm that you wish to reset all settings and restore the unit to the factory default settings.
User of 205 / 205W
Currently using 255W and 205W, 4592 LM

mfm88

Re: Troubleshooting a nuvi 255w

Postby mfm88 » Mon May 27, 2019 10:36 am

I would think there is a chance the firmware of the unit is corrupted.
When 255 was launched, many users did firmware update to force JCV features on MFM etc.
You can refer to firmware update for 255 on MFM and see if those procedures still work.

I am actually looking to replace my 765 but no new Garmin products suits me, as I prefer form factor of 3790.
Really sad.
心远地自偏,心静自然凉

Return to “Newbie Lounge”