Very glad to have read today's Digital Life and found U!

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
alyem
Regional Mapper

Re: Very glad to have read today's Digital Life and found U!

Postby alyem » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:50 am

Bro ahlian,

Good luck to you for using MxM, and keep using it.
:tq:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:33 am

Since this new came out...
More and more people join in to MFM for free map.

And more and more "comment and complaint" about MFM map.

Guys... this is free map site.
Dun complaint to us but to your ownself for not contributing.

Commercial maps offer more features like searches by postal codes and name of establishments. They also tend to be updated more frequently. But you need to pay for it. USxxx dolar
Free maps, which rely on contributions from the community of map users, currently do not have the same depth of detail and features.
Dun complaint cos it is free.
73, 9w2yyl

teddythe

Postby teddythe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:55 am

To all those ppl out there.....dun complain no more [-X

i presumed MxM first started out with nothing much in their maps in 2004 and over the period of 5 years, contributors like us have managed to cramp as much new POIs, polygons and data into their map.... \:D/

We should do the same here and start the pioneering spirit goin.... :peace:

There have been many cases and posts in other Forums that MFM maps were copied from them but in my opinion, even if it is true, it is all for the benefit of everybody to make the best maps ever.... :thumbsup:

I believe all of us forumers in MxM, MFM, Jerome Wee etc started out with the idea that maps should be regularly updated by contributions and circulated free all around to make it even better but some of us have since deviated into other directions. :$$:

Even so, the common aim of making the maps a better 1 should still b our main motto :prayer:

tcleong

Postby tcleong » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:24 pm

ahlian wrote:I am only a newbie, here so don't dare to offend anyone.

But today, downloaded the MFM's map. And loaded it. Was finding 221 Serangoon .....

Unfortunately, this POI did not appear. But it is found easily under MSM.

I don't want to sound rude, ungrateful or anything, but I decided at this moment to continue to use the MSM map (the free 1 Jan 2008's).

Thus, like they say the pie is in the pudding. You may say it is good. But, honestly, I do visit many sites and I cannot afford not to find "easily" especially HDB blocks.

Therefore, honestly, even if it wins hands down - "so what" if a simple thing like 221 Serangoon Ave 4 cannot even appear and worse.. as I scroll further... more and more Malaysian sites come up. While the MSM (outdated) poi's appear even more... local Singapore 221's especially HDB 221's vs MFM's.

I appreciate all the efforts. But, can anyone tell me if I have done anything wrong? Or is there a update particularly for Singapore POI's. This feature is very important feature for me.

Apologies if I offended anyone... this is as frank as I can say. You cannot claim it beats others hands down but what is crucial for me, is totally missing.... (at the moment unfortunately, James still Tak-boleh for me)...

SOSweet wrote:Read the SG/MY map comparison table ? MFM beat the others (especially MxM) hands down. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:rox:

- Comparison between MFM 1.46 vs MSM 2.30 Gold on 221 Serangoon Ave 4.
- I entered the address on both MFM & MSM.
- You can see both MFM & MSM details not as updated. Jerome's map is updated.
- MFM is updating their maps very frequently & too bad, Serangoon Ave 4 not really updated and I'm sure they will do so in near future.
- If you compare MFM vs MSM on Jurong West. (Another example, see below pics), MFM offers more details.
- Please feel free to choose whatever maps that suits you.

221 Serangoon Ave 4 (MFM 1.46)

221 Serangoon Ave 4 (MSM 2.30 Gold)

Comparison on Jurong West

MFM 1.46

MSM 2.30 Gold

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:31 pm

tcleong wrote:- Comparison between MFM 1.46 vs MSM 2.30 Gold on 221 Serangoon Ave 4.
- I entered the address on both MFM & MSM.
- You can see both MFM & MSM details not as updated. Jerome's map is updated.
- MFM is updating their maps very frequently & too bad, Serangoon Ave 4 not really updated and I'm sure they will do so in near future.
- If you compare MFM vs MSM on Jurong West. (Another example, see below pics), MFM offers more details.
- Please feel free to choose whatever maps that suits you.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
73, 9w2yyl

9W2CBL
Polygon Mapper

Postby 9W2CBL » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:26 pm

I and Fancheng had a small mini GG tonight at Seremban Jusco when our bro. Gamma pay a surprise drop by from Singapore. It was unexpected call from him around 4:30pm and quick I send text to our NS famous mapper - Bro. Fancheng and Great traveler in 4WD - Bro. CfLai, however only I and Fancheng turn up. Bro.CfLai has family to take care - No problem Lai next time will do!

It was a good GG discussion that lasted 2hours with dinner.

And our bro.Gamma also bring in Digital Live newspaper and also 2 photocopy part of the coverage give it to me and bro.fancheng... It was a good coverage.

Now MySGFree Maps has free advertise at Singapore!!!

Common sense is instinct, and enough of it is genius
The avatar is design by Bro. Sulphur - Thanks!
Owned - nuvi200 (US Version), nuvi255W (TWN -> SGMY -> US -> TWN), Last MobileXT V5.00.60

tuah
Champion Tracker
Champion Tracker

Postby tuah » Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:27 am

9W2CBL wrote:I and Fancheng had a small mini GG tonight at Seremban Jusco when our bro. Gamma pay a surprise drop by from Singapore. It was unexpected call from him around 4:30pm and quick I send text to our NS famous mapper - Bro. Fancheng and Great traveler in 4WD - Bro. CfLai, however only I and Fancheng turn up. Bro.CfLai has family to take care - No problem Lai next time will do!

It was a good GG discussion that lasted 2hours with dinner.

And our bro.Gamma also bring in Digital Live newspaper and also 2 photocopy part of the coverage give it to me and bro.fancheng... It was a good coverage.

Now MySGFree Maps has free advertise at Singapore!!!

I'm proud! - we're the family. :good: guys.

mfm88

Postby mfm88 » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:19 pm

For the past 2 years, i.ve read 3 major reviews by The Straits Times in Singapore regarding GPS.
First 2 times, they were comparing GPS makes to recommend without much considerations on maps (the detail, availability, feature of map with the make).
Both occasions, I considered it an "outsider's comment"
This time round, they finally talked about maps :thumbsup:

But still I strongly disagreed on this clause

"Commercial maps offer more features like searches by postal codes and name of establishments. They also tend to be updated more frequently."

e.g. The rate MFM updates sure make them feel tak-boleh,
I foresee Garmin-MSM to be updated twice a year, compare to monthly previously.

To ahlian, MFM started with West Malaysia, Singapore coverage was added later so is in the process of high speed chase up. Very soon it will be better than others as well. Dont be despaired.
心远地自偏,心静自然凉

tcleong

Postby tcleong » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:27 pm

Ahlian,

MFM is very efficient and have already updated the maps and in v1.50, you can find your 221 Serangoon Ave 4.

Return to “Newbie Lounge”