Very glad to have read today's Digital Life and found U!

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
sharkteef
Valued Contributor

Re: Very glad to have read today's Digital Life and found U!

Postby sharkteef » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:23 pm

@ahlian - u may enter that comment in here - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1815
whatever mfm lacks of, should always be made known if it were to move forward.

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:04 pm

As per request from one of our mappers, I have re-written the article from Digital Life and post it here for everyone (especially for those in Singapore, since this article is more Singapore-centric) to read.

http://tinyurl.com/ccrfqu

Enjoy. :)

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:29 pm

ahlian wrote:I am only a newbie, here so don't dare to offend anyone.

But today, downloaded the MFM's map. And loaded it. Was finding 221 Serangoon .....

Unfortunately, this POI did not appear. But it is found easily under MSM.

I don't want to sound rude, ungrateful or anything, but I decided at this moment to continue to use the MSM map (the free 1 Jan 2008's).
Thus, like they say the pie is in the pudding. You may say it is good. But, honestly, I do visit many sites and I cannot afford not to find "easily" especially HDB blocks.
MFM did not said MFM are good, >>> Click this >> MFM map is not good enough
Therefore, honestly, even if it wins hands down - "so what" if a simple thing like 221 Serangoon Ave 4 cannot even appear and worse.. as I scroll further... more and more Malaysian sites come up. While the MSM (outdated) poi's appear even more... local Singapore 221's especially HDB 221's vs MFM's.

I appreciate all the efforts. But, can anyone tell me if I have done anything wrong? Or is there a update particularly for Singapore POI's. This feature is very important feature for me.
Free maps, which rely on contributions from the community of map users, currently do not have the same depth of detail and features.
If more people like you MFM will NOT improve any further.

Apologies if I offended anyone... this is as frank as I can say. You cannot claim it beats others hands down but what is crucial for me, is totally missing.... (at the moment unfortunately, James still Tak-boleh for me)...

73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

norwadi

Postby norwadi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:24 pm

indrapr wrote:As per request from one of our mappers, I have re-written the article from Digital Life and post it here for everyone (especially for those in Singapore, since this article is more Singapore-centric) to read.

http://tinyurl.com/ccrfqu

Enjoy. :)

Thanks for your effort. :thumbsup:

teddythe

Postby teddythe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:47 pm

Hello Everybody....

I m oso 1 of those ignorant few who is so heng to happen to buy The Straits Times on the 18 of March 2009 and noticed on Digital Life that there is indeed another forum malfreemaps.com that offers free maps!! \:D/

I read with interest and noted on the Singapore/Malaysia Map Comparison that MySGFree maps offers Block & Road (Eg. 666 Woodlands Ring Road) which was stated to be sorely missing in MalSing Maps (Free Public) & MalSing Gold (Contributor). :finga:

However, when i have installed the freemap onto my 760...the polygons & the numbers for the HDB blocks are still missing..... :ko:

Did i miss out on anything??? :-?

I m a regular contributor to MxM but i have never gotten a map from them which has the HDB blocks.

However, when i cho my fren to buy a brand new unit at Sim Lim Tower, his version of 2.30 has all the HDB Blocks in it.....hmmmm...have me very puzzled leh....

I believe that the moderators exited MxM for a very good reason and will continue to support u guys....to make MFM better.... :thumbsup: so that it is on par or even better than them......

alyem
Regional Mapper

Postby alyem » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:46 pm

Bro teddythe,

Welcome to MFM.
We also need your help to point out the location where the HDB are missing.
With your value info.. our mapper can update all the HDB in the next coming MFM MAP.

:tq:
73, 9w2yyl
You need the MAP, We need your TRACK

indrapr
Valued Contributor

Postby indrapr » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 pm

teddythe wrote:However, when i have installed the freemap onto my 760...the polygons & the numbers for the HDB blocks are still missing..... :ko:

Not all areas in Singapore are covered. Which area are you checking?

teddythe wrote:However, when i cho my fren to buy a brand new unit at Sim Lim Tower, his version of 2.30 has all the HDB Blocks in it.....hmmmm...have me very puzzled leh....

May be he's using the donor (paid) version of the Singapore map, which comes bundled with some new GPS units in Singapore. I heard that it comes with the HDB blocks polygon for all areas in Singapore.

Thanks.

simseair
Valued Contributor

Postby simseair » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:15 am

Hi ahlian,

You have been frank with your opinions and I like to offer some frank opinions as well.

First, James is an enthusiast and is offering his personal opinion. He may be thinking that there are many things that are great about MFM besides some missing POIs. Personally I think MFM is a great map. I would respect James' opinion and one rule comes to my mind - Thumper's Rule (remember Thumper from the Disney cartoon when he saw someone walking silly and his mother said ... if you can't say something good, don't ... ).

Second, the "so what" sounds very sweeping to me. It may seemed simple not to miss some POIs but there are a lot of hard work involved in such a "simple" thing. The POIs need to be collected by enthusiasts, the POIs need to be kept currrent, the POIs have to be programmed into the map, etc .... until the users can just key some info to get the results. So, it is not as simple as it looked especially when all these are done for free.

MFM does not claim to be perfect but neither are the commercial maps. Just read a complaint regarding the latest Malaysia/Singapore map from Garmin which is missing in a lot of details like details on Telok Intan town.

As for the "proof of the pudding is in the eating", I would say that I have eaten the MFM pudding and I salute all the gurus who make the map a reality and the map is totally free to all users without conditions. I like to emphasize without conditions. I will not complain about the pudding but will hungrily and gratefully eat it with relish.

My hometown used to be non-existent as late as Jan 2008 in the Garmin and MSM maps. (MFM was not borned yet). So, should I "so what" the 2 maps? Now the town is fully mapped. In fact. Bro Sunn even datukfied me with a Lrg. It's what they called an Easter egg or rotten egg depending on how Bro Antyong sees it. That's the fun.
Last edited by simseair on Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

teddythe

Postby teddythe » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:18 am

Oh yah.....i did some checking myself which i have been putting off for quite some time now......

Onli jerome's & MFM maps have the hdb blocks listed in it....MFM maps r starting to incorporate hdb blocks and it is a good start which i will definitely support....

However during the recent Singapore IT show, all the Garmin sets sold r all preloaded with the MalSing 2009 Premium Maps with HDB Blocks listings??? :frus:

Wat the hell is MalSing 2009 Premium Maps??? :fire: when i m a regular contributor and i onli get 2.30b maps??

Garmin Singapore & MxM websites oso states that MxM maps will be given out free in April.....and is creating a stir with all Singaporean GPS Users here.......

No comments here & i leave my opinions till April when the real deal comes out!!

This article in Digital Life onli makes me more curious y there r is so much commotion goin on....watever it is...it is juz gonna do the end users of GPS alot of good as more ppl will b exposed to Garmin sets and hence more will contribute to better the maps..... :champ:

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:40 am

ahlian wrote:*snap...Apologies if I offended anyone... this is as frank as I can say. You cannot claim it beats others hands down but what is crucial for me, is totally missing.... (at the moment unfortunately, James still Tak-boleh for me)...

Bro ahlian, Since you didn’t indicate your location in your profile, I’m not sure whether you read the Digital Life article, which I believe, is only available in SG. In the article, the author created a table of comparison on maps from various sites. The table clearly showed that maps compiled by MFM are having more useful features then maps from other providers. That’s why I say MFM beat other hands down. It is an undeniable fact. =D>

Please bear in mind that there is not a single map in the world can satisfy each and every user’s different requirement and need. The most important criteria are which maps are more users friendly and meet most users’ requirement.

Bro, it is a free world, everyone are entitled to his own opinion. So, if you ask me am I feel offended by what you say ? My answer : Not at all.
I still believe : :rox: =D> =D> =D>
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

Return to “Newbie Lounge”