Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:04 am

dominatorFD09 wrote:Hi guys,

I downloaded a .GDB (POI) file and use mapsource to transfer the file to my nuvi 255W. But when I searched the filename in the SD card drive and main drive, I am unable to find the filename. May I know where does the filename installed to ?

Transfered data from Mapsource to device is saved as TEMP.GPX in \Garmin\GPX folder in device, or USERDATA.GPX in \Garmin\GPX folder in data card.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

dominatorFD09
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dominatorFD09 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:11 am

dvpro wrote:
dominatorFD09 wrote:Hi guys,

I downloaded a .GDB (POI) file and use mapsource to transfer the file to my nuvi 255W. But when I searched the filename in the SD card drive and main drive, I am unable to find the filename. May I know where does the filename installed to ?

Transfered data from Mapsource to device is saved as TEMP.GPX in \Garmin\GPX folder in device, or USERDATA.GPX in \Garmin\GPX folder in data card.


Hi Dvpro,

Thanks for your reply. Saw the temp.GPX file. May I know what if I transfer another .GDB file using mapsouce, what will be the filename like? I thought POI file should be transferred to POI folder ?

Is there other ways to transfer the .GDB file but able to see the real filename ?

Please advise.

Thank you.

User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:30 am

dominatorFD09 wrote:Thanks for your reply. Saw the temp.GPX file. May I know what if I transfer another .GDB file using mapsouce, what will be the filename like? I thought POI file should be transferred to POI folder ?

Everytime you transfer from Mapsource, TEMP.GPX will be overwritten, but if you have turned on Nuvi after transferring, data from TEMP.GPX will be added automatically into CURRENT.GPX. So, if the file is removed or overwritten, after that, it will not affect data already imported into Nuvi.

dominatorFD09 wrote:Is there other ways to transfer the .GDB file but able to see the real filename ?

No. But you can rename it accordingly. However, I would not recommend doing this, because if in future you need to remove these POIs, deleting these GPX will not delete the POIs as it has been imported into Nuvi (in CURRENT.GPX). Anyway, I'd recommend you to use POI Loader. You can have POI filenames according to your preference, and the POI category can be named as you wish. And most importantly, when you delete the Custom POI files, the POI will no longer be in Nuvi.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

dominatorFD09
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dominatorFD09 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:27 pm

thanks for your reply dvpro

I encountered a problem. When I searched a postal code 649848 in my nuvi, it doesn't shown any result except some other nearby postal code. But this postal code is existing. How do I create one and upload to my nuvi?

Kindly advise in steps.

Thank you for your help.

dominatorFD09
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dominatorFD09 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Till today I still don't get what does custom POI means. Anyone can advise me on this ?

User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:58 pm

dominatorFD09 wrote:...
I encountered a problem. When I searched a postal code 649848 in my nuvi, it doesn't shown any result except some other nearby postal code. But this postal code is existing. How do I create one and upload to my nuvi?
...

If the postal code could not be found, most probably it is not in the database, pls report this to the appropriate feedback section.
If you want to create this POI, you can create a Waypoint in Mapsource, and then Send To Device.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:59 pm

dominatorFD09 wrote:Till today I still don't get what does custom POI means. Anyone can advise me on this ?

Read more about Garmin Custom POIs here: http://www8.garmin.com/products/poiload ... _files.jsp

Examples of uses for Garmin Custom POIs: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/a ... heroad/poi
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.

kuongchin
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 1:17 pm

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby kuongchin » Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:49 pm

antyong wrote:
[list]
......
[*]JCV folder - stores Junction View files on models which support such feature
..........


Hi antyong,

I'm nuvi205 user. As the model not support JCV, can i delete the folder's contains?

I have both mfm & msm maps installed. If the contains of JCV deleted, will it effects the both maps function?

p/s: everytime update the map on garmin website, it will install the JCV as well but for nuvi205 not support, space waste.

thanks. :) :)
nüvi® 205 / Software Version: 6.10 / GPS SW Version: 4.10b

dominatorFD09
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:48 am

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dominatorFD09 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:09 am

Hi all,

Please see attached picture. The blue line keep appearing on the map route. May I know what is that ?
Secondly, When I off the GPS signal and simulate from 1 location to another, it tends to like unable to simulate and got hang like that.. anyone encounter this problem ?

Please advise

Image

User avatar
dvpro
Moderator
Posts: 2170
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:09 am
Location: KUL, MY (Handheld, PDA Based)

Re: Understand the files and folders within your Nuvi

Postby dvpro » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:33 am

dominatorFD09 wrote:Please see attached picture. The blue line keep appearing on the map route. May I know what is that ?

That is Nuvis's automatic trip log (sorta like breadcrumb trail). To hide it, tap Tools > Settings > Map > Trip Log > Hide.

dominatorFD09 wrote:Secondly, When I off the GPS signal and simulate from 1 location to another, it tends to like unable to simulate and got hang like that.. anyone encounter this problem ?

I've never experienced this before, maybe others can comment on this.
I take everything in moderation, including moderation.


Return to “Newbie Lounge”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests