The official newbie's "Hello" topic

MFM welcomes you to the world of GPS navigation. If you face any problem, feel free to ask our experienced members here :D

Moderators: Moderators, Regional Mappers

Forum rules
1. Be nice to each other and respect the moderators. Post in normal font size, color and weight. Follow Nettiquette
2. This forum is for beginners to ask questions and familiarize themselves to the world of GPS navigation. Senior members are encouraged to answer newbie questions
3. NO abuse, profanity and insults
4. NO spamming, cross posting and opening of duplicate topics
5. NO advertisement post or link
6. NO post/link to warez, cracks, serials or illegally obtained copyrighted content
7. Each message posted is owned by and is the opinion of the original poster. Neither mfm nor its owner or moderators are legally responsible for anything posted on the forum
silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Re: Grateful Newbie

Postby silverbeauty » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:45 pm

warthog02 wrote:Hi All

Just downloaded the latest map from your site and found it to be very useful. I appreciate it's all very hard work from you guys and thank you all. I was a member of another Malaysia/Singapore GPS site for some time but was told to contribute a map if I wish to download anything from them. That threw me off until I came across your site.
Contribute a MAP :shock: :-? Is it possible you may have misunderstood the statement ? You must mean contribute POIs / Error Reporting .... May we know which website is it that ask members to contribute a map to get a map :-k

I have some tracks in gdb format and will email them to admin if they can be useful to you. I don't know how to make maps, so I can't contribute any. I can contribute some petty cash if someone can tell me where to bank in my small notes.
Please read this link if you wish to contribute to the upkeep of this site : viewtopic.php?p=414&f=2#p414

I started using the Garmin GPS Map 196 many years ago for my flying within the Asean countries (I'm a private pilot) and decided to use it for my road traveling as well. However I cannot load any road map into the unit unless I buy a Memory Card (Part No. 010-10226-12) from Garmin which costs USD70. The problem is the courier cost puts me off and my friends traveling to the US don't seem to be able to find it in the shops there.
Bro you are looking for Garmin 64M data memory cards which are from the "dinosaur" period :mrgreen: . Jokes aside, if you are in Singapore, you can still buy if off the shelf at Perfect Watch@ Sim Lim Square. I do not remember which memory size capacity he has in stock but you can look for Mr Yan to check.

So right now I can only input the waypoints and create routes from point to point with no road to follow (there are some roads in the aviation database that comes with the unit but they are about 30 years old and very inaccurate). For very complicated locations, I bring along a printout of your excellent maps as well.
The 196 can add datacards to load maps. The min you need to get is 64M as the current 1.61 gmapsupp.img map file is about 50M in size and will continue to "balloon" in size as updates come

To all those who contribute their work to this site, I say "terima kasih" and may you be blessed.

aimnfire

Re: Newbie here

Postby aimnfire » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:06 pm

hi

thank you for your reply

i bought the unit via ebay........search ebay for GPS keywords and you can find the ones which you can surf the internet with it (crap in my opinion as it needs bluetooth using your mobile phone on gprs chargers)

not collecting the software lah bro......at least when i try out different software, in future i know what to use if i get my own PND and if some people ask my opinion at least and honestly i can describe my own findings

ok will read up the link post when going home

for the last link what i want is the HDB block no. for example block 272 in tampines area. type the block no 272 and tampines should give me the location instead of asking me to choose which tampines street which in the first place i have no idea block 272 in tampines is in which street.

regards

mrahmad

Newbies saying "Hello"

Postby mrahmad » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:46 pm

Hi there,

I am newbie, having Nuvi 750 and just installed mapsource on my PC, plan to contribute new POI to the community.

Rgds,

Ray

keong8260
Regional Mapper
Location: Alor Setar (60CSx, Nuvi, Papago, Polnav, Galactio, Compass, Parang, Gun)

Re: Newbie intro to the community

Postby keong8260 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:23 pm

mrahmad wrote:Hi there,

I am newbie, having Nuvi 750 and just installed mapsource on my PC, plan to contribute new POI to the community.

Rgds,

Ray

Waiting for your contribution.... :welcome:

user101

Postby user101 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:35 pm

hi, newbies in the club... looking forward to enhance my mobile xt to 3d buildings and lane assist, plz advice or inform me for any updates on '3d' stuff for mobile xt 5.0 for windows mobile.. currently running mobile xt on my htc

AverEng

Postby AverEng » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:31 am

I'm newbie in malfreemaps. Seeking for 1st PND GPS. Hope can contribute later!

SOSweet

Postby SOSweet » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:21 am

user101 wrote:hi, newbies in the club... looking forward to enhance my mobile xt to 3d buildings and lane assist, plz advice or inform me for any updates on '3d' stuff for mobile xt 5.0 for windows mobile.. currently running mobile xt on my htc

Bro user101, :welcome:
For any update, you had to "check it out" yourself from posting in this Forum. :mrgreen:

AverEng wrote:I'm newbie in malfreemaps. Seeking for 1st PND GPS. Hope can contribute later!

Bro AveEng, :welcome:
HEALTHY LIVING :
Eat Less - Salt & Sugar
Do More - Exercise & Good Deeds

hashpa

Postby hashpa » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:33 am

keong8260 wrote:
mrahmad wrote:Hi there,

Rgds,

Ray

Waiting for your contribution.... :welcome:

Can you pl provide the link for step-by-step procedure how to contribute to the comminity. Thanks.

silverbeauty
Location: Sin-Ka-Pu-Ra Garmin Nüvi1350, 3790T, Fenix, eTrex HcX Panasonic ICE+Garmin Samsung Note3 Apple iPad3

Postby silverbeauty » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:53 am

user101 wrote:hi, newbies in the club... looking forward to enhance my mobile xt to 3d buildings and lane assist, plz advice or inform me for any updates on '3d' stuff for mobile xt 5.0 for windows mobile.. currently running mobile xt on my htc

This enhancement for 3D / Lane Asssit has to come from Garmin as it is firmware dependent. Our maps may have the feature in future but unless Garmin adds support into Mobile XT, you cannot enjoy it.

pauchai
Regional Mapper

Postby pauchai » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:03 pm

hashpa wrote:Can you pl provide the link for step-by-step procedure how to contribute to the comminity. Thanks.

:welcome:
Pls read the following thread;
How to contribute POIs & Track by using Garmin Mapsource
http://www.facebook.com/xuandefengshui

Return to “Newbie Lounge”